Goliath

MtB

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, the yard said:

I think this is the ad that relates to this boat : Goliath Historic Canal  Liveaboard Leicestershire UK. ... Has double-diagonal mahogany on oak frame hull was built by Harland and Wolff in 1903, and  was subsequently used as a cargo ship at Dunkirk

image.png.fea6d9e6c7e5e4f883c3b346856d9b94.pngimage.png.acd2ca2ba01c92f4663087c6850d6d08.png

Well obviously the original advert is long since deleted from Apollo Duck, so we ca no longer see it.

But no, as the thread refers to a narrow boat, and specifically to BCN day boat types, I feel sure the original advert that prompted this thread did not relate to the boat you have in these pictures.

It seems highly probable from the evidence that the pictured boat was built by Harland and Wolff.  The  narrow boat Goliath most certainly was not.

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

The CanalPlanAC listing is for a wooden boat 36 feet long and 12 feet wide so nothing to do with that Goliath.

The one that was advertised doesn't seem to be listed on that site.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Well the OP was over 6 years ago!

True, but the boat is definitely on CRT waters, and has been for some yeras, I think, so one might reasonably expect to find it in the boat listing.  clearly there are boats that exist, are probably licensewd, but still fail to apperar.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Canalplan lists 5 boats under the name Goliath, but only one is a narrowboat, and that is a 48 footer built by Black Country Narrowboats. So where has the Bantock Goliath gone?

I think you will find the 48 foot long GOLIATH (BWB Index 73565) is the Bantock built boat - the builder Black Country Narrowboats = BCN :captain:

Yes, I have Goliath, I bought it in 2012. 

So glad I didnt read this thread before I bought it, the OP would have put me right off. Not being an engine enthusiast, the BMC is perfect. I regularly have it suggested I should have an 'original' engine put in. I always reply 'that'd be called an horse then?' 

I did have the sense to get a hull survey before I bought it and last october it had another survey and the numbers are the same.  It was rebottomed as part of the deal when I made my offer. 

As Dmr points out, it has no plate with a BCN number on it. Post 2 best explains the origin of the hull. 

I met someone a few months ago who had known the man that had made Goliath into the boat it is now. He recognised the style of build and remarked on the high portholes as being something 'Boffy' would have done. At least I think he said Boffy, being from the other side of Brum to where I come from, I found it hard to make out what he said. And he said this before I told him it was put together by Black Country Boats. 

6 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I think you will find the 48 foot long GOLIATH (BWB Index 73565) is the Bantock built boat - the builder Black Country Narrowboats = BCN :captain:

I reckon Black Country Narrowboats put the cabin on, and also made a new backend for the oringinal shortened Hull.

Where are you Goliath, they are talkin' 'bout yer boat ?

We are in Stone but Gillie has gone to Newbury and will not return till Friday 13th has been and gone :D

..............Dave

crossed posts with Goliath, what a co-incidence

Edited by dmr
crossed post comment

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I always knew him as "Boffy". In respect of his cabins, the phrase "Boffy wobbles"  is a technical term round these parts.

On reflection his surname was Baugh which could well have been pronounced boff.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

You might have got through with fewer engines with Goliath!

If as "Goliath" explains it currently has a BMC, I can't see Mike ever being happy with one of those.......

He breaks the buggers anyway........

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

If as "Goliath" explains it currently has a BMC, I can't see Mike ever being happy with one of those.......

He breaks the buggers anyway........

I knew that. I spent a day surveying the boat, then made an offer they all laughed at!

Just now, Goliath said:

Just for the record.

I understand from the papers I have, the boat when converted was originally fitted with a Perkins.  The BMC is its second engine. Why the change? Dunno.   

How does a Perkins rate in the scale of 'proper' engines?

Grim.

4 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just for the record.

I understand from the papers I have, the boat when converted was originally fitted with a Perkins.  The BMC is its second engine. Why the change? Dunno.   

How does a Perkins rate in the scale of 'proper' engines?

Depends to some degree which Perkins.

Quite a few ex working boats have had or still have the Perkins P3 or D3 which is a perfectly respectable narrow boat engine, to the extent that loaded motor butty pairs have worked with them.  Adequate grunt with right gearbox / prop combination

In a recent thread someone rubbished them, but our old BCN boat that we had in the 1970s, (a very crude 40 foot Bantock conversion) had a P3.  A poor match to the boat (too big, and not enough room to swing a suitable prop, but reliable enough, and typical 3 cylinder sound).  I would still prefer a Lister H series of some description though!

By the way, Mike doesn't generally go for anything that most people will have heard of, so his views on engines are not typical (!)

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

By the way, Mike doesn't generally go for anything that most people will have heard of, so his views on engines are not typical (!)

I currently have two Kelvins, a Kingfisher, a Samofa, and a Gleniffer. 

And vaguely on the lookout for a Kromhaut or Seffle semi-diesel.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Depends to some degree which Perkins.

Quite a few ex working boats have had or still have the Perkins P3 or D3 which is a perfectly respectable narrow boat engine, to the extent that loaded motor butty pairs have worked with them.  Adequate grunt with right gearbox / prop combination

In a recent thread someone rubbished them, but our old BCN boat that we had in the 1970s, (a very crude 40 foot Bantock conversion) had a P3.  A poor match to the boat (too big, and not enough room to swing a suitable prop, but reliable enough, and typical 3 cylinder sound).  I would still prefer a Lister H series of some description though!

I guess as much, regards Perkins and Mike's view on engines. 

Not being an engine boff myself, I like to have something I can forget about. The bmc is reliable and easy to service. And actually sounds very nice/good compared to lots of engines. (Not as nice as a lister or bollinder but as good as a gardner)