Delphi Fuel Filters

steelaway

Featured Posts

Hi All

Can some one tell me how to stop my fuel filter housing leaking?

I bought a double fiter housing when I built the boat and it hasn't stoped leaking yet.

I have even carefully dismantled it on the bench and found nothing unusual or faulty.

I always replace all the seals and 'O' rings when I change the elements and still the bloody thing leaks

What am I missing?

This set (with alloy bottoms)

Alex

FDE-5848B010.jpg

Hi All

Can some one tell me how to stop my fuel filter housing leaking?

I bought a double fiter housing when I built the boat and it hasn't stoped leaking yet.

I have even carefully dismantled it on the bench and found nothing unusual or faulty.

I always replace all the seals and 'O' rings when I change the elements and still the bloody thing leaks

What am I missing?

This set (with alloy bottoms)

Alex

FDE-5848B010.jpg

Where is it leaking from ? ( presumably where the filters attach ?) You are not OVER tightening and distorting perhaps ?

Nick

Where is it leaking from ? ( presumably where the filters attach ?) You are not OVER tightening and distorting perhaps ?

Nick

Thanks for all the suggestions people.

I'm not sure I am over tightening it but how tight should it be? I must admit I am tempted to tighten it 'a bit more' when the thing is leaking.

It is easy to leave a seal in the top but I always check and its not been dropped.

The leak seem to be from the top as the elements are wet and both the bloody things are exactly the same.

The Barrus engine has its own very similiar housing and filter and thats perfect.

Would any one like a free set of housings - as a challenge.

Alex

Thanks for all the suggestions people.

I'm not sure I am over tightening it but how tight should it be? I must admit I am tempted to tighten it 'a bit more' when the thing is leaking.

It is easy to leave a seal in the top but I always check and its not been dropped.

The leak seem to be from the top as the elements are wet and both the bloody things are exactly the same.

The Barrus engine has its own very similiar housing and filter and thats perfect.

Would any one like a free set of housings - as a challenge.

Alex

I do not think anyone has mentioned the seal around the centre bolt at the top although asking for where it leaked from indicated someone was thinking about it.

Other threads have pointed out that those centre bolts that use a small O ring to seal seem to have problems with some of the O rings supplied with new filter elements. I would always fit a soft washer (nylon or new copper)around the centre boat weather it has an O ring or not.

I have also known the top of the actual element to be distorted where someone has fitted then askew and tightened them up onto the metal filter head instead of the rubber seal.