MOD surplus battery charging generators

deletedaccount

Featured Posts

I noticed this post on another thread:

I'd weigh it in for scrap and use the cash - plus any cash you were going to spend on a larger alternator - and buy one of these instead.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2a0c94e582

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item336367c4a7

These chargers are often on Ebay and being ex Mod will be built to last.

Edited because I missed out a word.:rolleyes:

It's a 50a charger attached to a 3.5hp kubota engine and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of using these. They seem like good value at < 200 quid for a 50a charger + genny to run it.

I don't need a 240v genny and it would be used simply for charging. How much do they cost to run? Any thoughts?

I'm starting to doubt the 50amp claim now as I've seen something that looks identical quoting 25amps. Confused?

I noticed this post on another thread:

It's a 50a charger attached to a 3.5hp kubota engine and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of using these. They seem like good value at < 200 quid for a 50a charger + genny to run it.

I don't need a 240v genny and it would be used simply for charging. How much do they cost to run? Any thoughts?

I'm starting to doubt the 50amp claim now as I've seen something that looks identical quoting 25amps. Confused?

I do not doubt that the MOD stuff is pretty good but I would argue that you could achieve yourself the same with DIY skills for less and with less weight to carry around.

It is as simple as coupling an old lawnmower engine and alternator together bolted to some plywood with bearers.

You can pick up 3.5 & 3.75hp Briggs & Stratton engines/lawnmowers pretty cheap on EBay ( I have picked up one for 8.00 and another for 11.26 collected as local). Alternators are likewise but best to get one that can be modded easily (Lucas A127)

Anyway, I can get 33 amps from a 50amp A127 such set up.

If you start totting up some of the costs, fan belt, pulleys, connecting leads, switches, charging lights, bolts plus your engine & alt then the MOD one is probably only twice the cost and much more resaleable. However, most would want the AC for that price.

Suffolk Punch engines married to a dynamo will give you 15amp but unregulated you have a job to keep the volts down once in acceptance. I picked four c40 dynamos up a while ago for 99p. So have made four setups and given two away that are used regularly!

If I had not got into making my own would I go for the MOD one. I have considered it even now but thesedays you can get an 850 watt AC benny from Aldi for 60.00 and marry it to the battery chargers you (should) have. Job done.

I still think there is something better about direct DC production but electronic chargers have become a little more scientific but who runs one of them for hours on an impuree AC waveform? Just interested on others comments on this

Not sure I'd be keen on the idea of it not having it's own integral fuel tank.

The idea of having to connect it up to a Jerry can with an adaptor doesn't really appeal.

I don't like the idea of petrol on narrow boats much, anyway, I'll admit, but that added com[plication sounds a pain each time you want to use it, even if it doesn't end up being intrinsically dangerous.

I guess another question might be "how loud" ? What is acceptable to the military could be a real bummer next to a line of moored boats.

But I find nearly all generator running intrusive, unless the owner is miles from anyone, I'll be honest.

The idea of having to connect it up to a Jerry can with an adaptor doesn't really appeal.

Having used the sep fuel can system its is much better. No spills, quick refills even whilst running if needed (OK you will never NEED in the same way that the military does). Makes each bit lighter as 20L & fuel tank will weigh about 25kg. Longer running times on one fill. Also makes transportation safe as the genny can go anywhere & you know that all the fuel (you run it dry with tank removed) is safe in the fuel store.

If you have ever used one of the types of cans you would know that the cap is easy to use & the fuel take off fits simply too.

I've got a cheap 1k petrol genny but I can only get it to stick 25amps through my charger with any reliability. Any more and it cuts in and out. Perhaps a better option would be a super cheap Chinese diesel 2.2k genny. They're 250 quid or so iirc.

That's been my experience as well and why I think if you are mainly maintaining batts it is better to have a 12v (14v) genny, probably more fuel efficient.

be well noisy mind, I reckon you might be better off looking at Kipor inverter generator around that price if you can't afford a honda

For some reason noise seems to be a factor that many people forget about when choosing a generator. Of couse price and output are important, but if the thing is too noisy to run without annoying yourself and your neighbours then that pretty much overrides everything else. A generator has to at least be quieter than one's engine.

Edit: For me the choice is obvious - if you can afford one get a Honda, if you can't get a Kippor.

Edited by blackrose

Guest wanted

Having used the sep fuel can system its is much better. No spills, quick refills even whilst running if needed (OK you will never NEED in the same way that the military does). Makes each bit lighter as 20L & fuel tank will weigh about 25kg. Longer running times on one fill. Also makes transportation safe as the genny can go anywhere & you know that all the fuel (you run it dry with tank removed) is safe in the fuel store.

If you have ever used one of the types of cans you would know that the cap is easy to use & the fuel take off fits simply too.

agreed, so much cleaner and safe IMO, no spills or pouring. I think they are safer than integral tanks personaly.

Rob

My honda suitacase runs a 20a charger with ease, 1k only managing 25a doesnt sound right to me.

It's a crap generator, says 1k on the box but I don't believe it really.

I contacted the bloke and he says it goes up to 50amps on the dial. I might gamble and get one. I really need to save the wear on my engine. Once the water's hot there's no point running it anymore.

I've got a cheap 1k petrol genny but I can only get it to stick 25amps through my charger with any reliability. Any more and it cuts in and out. Perhaps a better option would be a super cheap Chinese diesel 2.2k genny. They're 250 quid or so iirc.

Could be your genny is kicking out a lot less than 1kva, more like 4 to 5 hundred watts? Gennies, especially cheapo ones overstate their output, I tried a cheapo 800 watt and it could only run a 330 watt drill when it was put under load, could stall a 550watt by gripping the chuck.

It's a crap generator, says 1k on the box but I don't believe it really.

I contacted the bloke and he says it goes up to 50amps on the dial. I might gamble and get one. I really need to save the wear on my engine. Once the water's hot there's no point running it anymore.

Re the noise issue - I linked those sets from Ebay as I thought them preferrable to using a car (as had been suggested) whilst also bearing in mind that the poster said it would be 30ft away from his boat when in use.

I'm not sure how noisy they are - but occasionally ones listed as silenced also appear on Ebay - there's a Kohler version on now but it says its 28V - its a more powerful engine (so it may indeed be solely 28V) or they may have made a mistake in the advert and it could be dual voltage.

May be worth an Email as obviously the silenced version would be better.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2a0c7fe24e

Could be your genny is kicking out a lot less than 1kva, more like 4 to 5 hundred watts? Gennies, especially cheapo ones overstate their output, I tried a cheapo 800 watt and it could only run a 330 watt drill when it was put under load, could stall a 550watt by gripping the chuck.

I've got a 1kva chinese generator and I was experimenting with what it would run. It powers a 1500w vacuum cleaner without difficulty, although it really winds up the revs and is probably drinking quite a lot of fuel doing that. But it struggles with a 1000w strimmer, which puzzles me.

I use a Honda 10ieu on the boat which is quieter, lighter, smaller and totally reliable but boring. The cheap chinese 2 stroke has bags of personality!! Or is it just me? :wacko:

There's an ad on boats & outboards which gives dimensions and weight.

http://www.boatsando...k/view/PAA18301

It is more compact than I thought being more or less a foot & a half square; 35kg without the petrol/tank is fairly hefty but means you are getting something for your money?

I wonder if this might be a bit noisy too .... 1944 Lister JP4 gennie ex MOD

!B-3T4QQEWk~$(KGrHqJ,!k0Ey+jC)C8!BM98I4!v3w~~_12.JPG

It would power an all electric boat, 27kva, :cheers: