You Can't Beat The Smell Of .........

Clivo

Featured Posts

Happy 2011 to you all.

......Fresh Bread

I was wondering if any of you good folk ever use a bread making machine while you are on the move. Not sure they'd be a good idea to use via the battery bank.

What are your experiences & which machines work best. I've heard that Panasonic are the mutt's nuts, what do you think.

Which magazine reckons that most domestic bread makers use around 0.36 KWh of mains electricity to make a standard loaf of bread, and that most don't deviate much from that figure.

That's 360 watt hours, which doesn't sound a lot in domestic use, but unless I'm missing something obvious, if your power source is the boats 12 volt electrics, via an inverter, even without inverter losses, you are looking at something like 360/12, i.e. 30 Amp hours from the battery bank to bake that loaf.

So it very much depends on whether your boat is one where you regularly generate a lot of excess electric by cruising all the time, or whether you are always struggling to find the Amp hours.

I'd say perfectly feasible to make a loaf during a days boating, meeting power requirements from the alternator, but in our case, I'd never consider taking in excess of 30Ah out of the battery bank overnight, (remember the inverter losses).

Our breakmaker gets nightly use at home. On the boat fresh bread tends to get baked in the oven, though.

EDITED to add....

I believe Panasonic are still in the top league - we have one, and it only ever makes a duff loaf if we get an ingredient quantity wrong, (usually that means omitting one! :blush: ). Having just enjoyed cracking toast (Gromit ?), from last nights bake, I can still recommend Panasonic.

Edited by alan_fincher

Which magazine reckons that most domestic bread makers use around 0.36 KWh of mains electricity to make a standard loaf of bread, and that most don't deviate much from that figure.

That's 360 watt hours, which doesn't sound a lot in domestic use, but unless I'm missing something obvious, if your power source is the boats 12 volt electrics, via an inverter, even without inverter losses, you are looking at something like 360/12, i.e. 30 Amp hours from the battery bank to bake that loaf.

So it very much depends on whether your boat is one where you regularly generate a lot of excess electric by cruising all the time, or whether you are always struggling to find the Amp hours.

I'd say perfectly feasible to make a loaf during a days boating, meeting power requirements from the alternator, but in our case, I'd never consider taking in excess of 30Ah out of the battery bank overnight, (remember the inverter losses).

Our breakmaker gets nightly use at home. On the boat fresh bread tends to get baked in the oven, though.

EDITED to add....

I believe Panasonic are still in the top league - we have one, and it only ever makes a duff loaf if we get an ingredient quantity wrong, (usually that means omitting one! :blush: ). Having just enjoyed cracking toast (Gromit ?), from last nights bake, I can still recommend Panasonic.

My oven uses no Electricity!!!!!

We always baked bread in the nb. Only when the bopat was moving or just running the engine for the bake part as that is when the energy is mainly used. Beats trying to finde a bakers! We also kept a stock of part bakes too for when we couldn't use the breadmaker.

As FtoS says, we normally run the breadmaker (Panasonic) whilst the engine is running, but we have run it overnight too. Alan's estimate is about right: I allow about 40Ah for a loaf; OK in the summer when you're using few lights and you will be cruising for a long day the next day.

Apart from the delicious smell and taste, having a breadmaker (human or machine) means that you can carry flour rather than fresh bread, and spend less time searching for the local shop to buy life-limited supplies.

MP.

I am a continuous cruiser and make bread every 3rd day, which usually coincides with a cruising day, I do have a 3.5KW travel power.

And yes mine is a panasonic, which has never made a bad loaf.

Freshly brewed coffee.

We used to use a Panasonic breadmaker on board. It was moderately successful, it would not work with square wave, was temperamental with modified square wave but was ok with sine wave generated power.