coolant expansion bottle

serenility

Featured Posts

I have been unsuccesfully searching for an expansion bottle that has a flat back and screws directly to a bulkhead for some time now. I spotted this photo of just what I wanted in canal boat mag and e-mailed the editor to ask what make of boat it was in the pic so that I could make further enquiries, I have not had a reply. Does anyone have any information that would help me to obtain one?

Thanks

Ian

I have been unsuccesfully searching for an expansion bottle that has a flat back and screws directly to a bulkhead for some time now. I spotted this photo of just what I wanted in canal boat mag and e-mailed the editor to ask what make of boat it was in the pic so that I could make further enquiries, I have not had a reply. Does anyone have any information that would help me to obtain one?

Thanks

Ian

Is this what you are after

Is this what you are after

And if it is.....

I had a look at one of these rather expensive bottles in a local chandlers, and they got almost apoplectic when they saw me trying to take the pressure cap off.

Apparently the metal cap quickly eats into the plastic of the bottle, unless you are very careful, so you might find if you want it to be pressurised it quickly ceases to be.

Do you actually need the expansion bottle to be part of the pressurised system ? A much cheaper option is to simply make any overflow non pressurised, when any old plastic bottle will do the job. In the end that's what we did, and it is a sufficient solution for us, (BMC engine with Polar header tank).

And if it is.....

I had a look at one of these rather expensive bottles in a local chandlers, and they got almost apoplectic when they saw me trying to take the pressure cap off.

Apparently the metal cap quickly eats into the plastic of the bottle, unless you are very careful, so you might find if you want it to be pressurised it quickly ceases to be.

Do you actually need the expansion bottle to be part of the pressurised system ? A much cheaper option is to simply make any overflow non pressurised, when any old plastic bottle will do the job. In the end that's what we did, and it is a sufficient solution for us, (BMC engine with Polar header tank).

Thanks for the speedy replies. I thought I'd looked at midland chandlers first, but I obviously didn't look hard enough. Thanks also for the warning about the wearing neck. And yes they do seem to be a bit on the expensive side.

Get round the scrap yards and pick one up for £3 like I did. it sure beats £40

What sort of vehicle should I be looking at?

Thanks for the speedy replies. I thought I'd looked at midland chandlers first, but I obviously didn't look hard enough. Thanks also for the warning about the wearing neck. And yes they do seem to be a bit on the expensive side.

On our "new" boat, we have what looks remarkably like the chandler's item with the "overflow" left open ( to overflow onto whatever's underneath) but it was obviously 3/4 filled when HOT, and so it never exceeds that level - and all totally unpressurised, apart from the ambient pressure of the day - it works fine as an expansion of the hot water system...

Nick

Thanks

Ian

For what its worth, the picture looks similar to the expansion tanks fitted on Alvechurch hire boats. Why fitted on the outside I have no idea. Since a hire company use them they must be robust and cost effective. You could try contacting them and see if they will sell you a spare.

Look at them all and find one that suits your needs. Its the flat back and mounting points that are important

For what its worth, the picture looks similar to the expansion tanks fitted on Alvechurch hire boats. Why fitted on the outside I have no idea. Since a hire company use them they must be robust and cost effective. You could try contacting them and see if they will sell you a spare.

They will sell them.

They're from Aquafax and not cheap.

They're on the outside so as to check the levels at a glance, thus shortening changeover time...

Currently moored at Alvechurch...

we have had to fit this type of expansion tank to our boat. agreed they arenot cheap from m/cs but we found that, having 2 skin tanks plus a calorifier any other tank did not seem to do thejob, every time we cruised the boat would use a pint of watera day. we tried a vetus header tank but this would fill up after a few hours cruising. so we changed to this one and it seems to have done the trick. I found that whilst the car header tank seemed agood idea a car only has to deal with a smallish radiator but if you have. as we have a lotof expansion in the system then these donot seem to be able to cope. although our system may be unusual