Eliis Heatmaster Gas Heating Boiler

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I have held a copy of the Installation and Maintenance Instructions for the Ellis Heatmaster for more than ten years, and have sent photocopies to a number of forum members in the past. However, I have recently scanned them into a file which I can now send as an email attachment to anyone who needs them.

Production of the Ellis Heatmaster ceased more than ten years ago, and copies of the Instructions have not been available since then. However there are still hundreds of boats equipped with operational Heatmaster Boilers, so if you need a copy of the Instructions, please send me PM. I can send them either as a Word document (quicker), or a set of 14 JPEG files.

It should be mentioned that copyright for the Instructions remains with Ellis Restorations, and although I have been given permission by them to reproduce the Instructions for anyone who needs them, I cannot give permission for anyone else to reproduce them, and selling copies would be a breach of the permission given to me.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

Since posting the original message, I have had a couple of enquiries, and it has become apparent that I need to add some additional information.

The scan which I have produced is from a photocopy of a set of instructions which appear to have been printed in house by Ellis's on an Office Gestetner machine. In order to get a readable copy, I have had to use a fairly high definition scan setting, and consequently it is quite a big file (about 11MB), which can take a couple of minutes to download.

Also, as I cannot find a way to attach documents via the direct email system through Canal World, I need an email address to which I can send the file.

• 4 years later...

Hi David,

Please could you send me a copy of the file you have on the Ellis Heatmaster. I have acquired a 1992 narrowboat with one onboard but am reluctant to fire it up before I know a bit more about it. The previous owner never used it but I think its perfectly ok.

Many thanks.

Tim

Email: timandninadougall@gmail.com

Hi David,

Please could you send me a copy of the file you have on the Ellis Heatmaster. I have acquired a 1992 narrowboat with one onboard but am reluctant to fire it up before I know a bit more about it. The previous owner never used it but I think its perfectly ok.

Many thanks.

Tim

Email: Deleted

I have sent an email with an attachment, it is a large file (11KB) so may take a while to download.

May I suggest you remove your email address from your message to avoid it being copied by unauthorised people.

I have worked with this unit it was often installed with an in correct flue

Please have the installation investigated by a codependent person before using the boiler

keith

Just post a couple of photos on here for advice if needed, there are plenty of people who know how the Ellis flue should be installed. Basicly it should have an open bottom, in much the same way as old floor standing open flue domestic boilers had, but becasue they are usually installed against the side iof the boat, the flue is usually turned forwards and then vertically to avoid the cabin side tumble home, with the open bottom of the flue sitting a few inches above the top of the boiler casing. There should also be a gap between any ceiling lining and the flue, which cam be filled with a register plate if appearance is important.

Why not? There is nothing that I can find in the BSS requirements that specify any particular design of flue, so to whom is it not acceptable? The BSS examiner carries out a number of tests but the requirements (which our 33 year old boat always seems to pass) are advisory, and even failure will not resuilt in a certificate being refused.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, chrisakak9@gmail.com said:

Hi David, I know this is an old thread but I would be very grateful for a copy of the Heatmaster manual too!

Regards

Chris

I have sent you a PM. Please let me know if it does not arrive

• 9 months later...

Hi David,

Do you still have a copy of the Ellis Heatmaster operating manual.  If you have, could you please send me a copy, to albertcnorth@gmail.com

I'd be very grateful.

We've just bought a canal boat with an Ellis boiler and the thermostat doesn't appear to be working, so the burner doesn't cut off and water boils out through the header tank.

Best regards

Charles (17 days your junior!)

Hi David

I had our Ellis Heatmaster renovated by Foxton about a year ago having experienced exactly the same problem as Charles above (very helpful - great job) but it has failed to fire up today having been left over the winter. The ignition is not producing any spark (it did for a while this morning but then stopped all together). Do you still have a copy of the operating manual? Lying full length on your front on a cold wooden floor to see what is (or isn't) going on is not my idea of fun so any helpful suggestions would be gratefully received at julianat103@aol.com!

Many thanks

The spark generator on my Ellis stopped working a few years back but fires up quite happily with a regular gas stove lighter. I removed one screw from the glass window and just flip the glass out of the way, light it and then flip it back.

Phil 

Thanks Phil. Sam the engineer who fixed the Heatmaster at Foxton seems to think it difficult to light the burner using a lighter. Googling 'Dr the Lighter' doesn't bring up anything helpful. I'm going to clean everything up and see if I can get any joy (not to mention heat).

On 28/12/2010 at 17:10, David Schweizer said:

I have held a copy of the Installation and Maintenance Instructions for the Ellis Heatmaster for more than ten years, and have sent photocopies to a number of forum members in the past. However, I have recently scanned them into a file which I can now send as an email attachment to anyone who needs them.

Have an eight year belated greenie David for such a magnanimous gesture. I don't have such a heater, but I do appreciate such kindness. :)

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Have an eight year belated greenie David for such a magnanimous gesture. I don't have such a heater, but I do appreciate such kindness. :)

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:23, Phil Ambrose said:

Er the lighter works just fine  ☺

Still learning how to use this system - now understand that you have edited "Dr" to "Er"! I may be slow but I get there in the end ...

Still learning how to use this system - now understand that you have edited "Dr" to "Er"! I may be slow but I get there in the end ...

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Are you able to forward it to me?

To light the boiler using a gas lighter (long) all you need do is remove the left hand screw holding the glass and loosen the otheŕ. Then using the end of the lighter flip the glass out of the way. Then press and hold down the gas control button and then present a flame to the hole, you should be able to hear a pop as the pilot light fires up. Continue to hold down the gas control button for a while till the pilot light stays alight. Then use the end of the gas lighter to flip the glass back..

You can now fire up the boiler by turning the stat knob to your required temperature. 

Phil 

4 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

To light the boiler using a gas lighter (long) all you need do is remove the left hand screw holding the glass and loosen the otheŕ. Then using the end of the lighter flip the glass out of the way. Then press and hold down the gas control button and then present a flame to the hole, you should be able to hear a pop as the pilot light fires up. Continue to hold down the gas control button for a while till the pilot light stays alight. Then use the end of the gas lighter to flip the glass back..

You can now fire up the boiler by turning the stat knob to your required temperature. 

Phil 

It works! Many thanks for your help. We can be warm again on the boat.

Julian

1 hour ago, chrisakak9@gmail.com said:

Hi, David supplied me with a copy of the manual some time ago im sure he wouldn't mind if i forwarded it to you if you still need it.

That would be great! My email address is julianat103@aol.com. Many thanks.

Julian

2 hours ago, chrisakak9@gmail.com said:

Hi, David supplied me with a copy of the manual some time ago im sure he wouldn't mind if i forwarded it to you if you still need it.

Thank you Chrisakak9.  I would be really grateful if you could send me a copy to albertcnorth@gmail.com

Thanks again

Charles