taking 11 year old are there any recomendations for places to visit going from napton

greyhound

Featured Posts

we are going in august from napton for 2 weeks and our 11 year son would like us to visit somethings that arent canal related that he will enjoy. we have visited warwick castle and enjoyed it. can any one recomend any places to visit other than cinemas or bowling or even any where to avoid within easy access from the canal, we havnt decided which direction to go and it will probably depend on recomendations.

many thanks paul

we are going in august from napton for 2 weeks and our 11 year son would like us to visit somethings that arent canal related that he will enjoy. we have visited warwick castle and enjoyed it. can any one recomend any places to visit other than cinemas or bowling or even any where to avoid within easy access from the canal, we havnt decided which direction to go and it will probably depend on recomendations.

many thanks paul

I always take a couple of 12 yr olds to stratford on avon.They dont find it boring as most kids do at that age :rolleyes they have quite a few things going on in the summer and a swimming pool.

If you've got a car there's the motor heritage centre at Gaydon.

The Car museum in Coventry is superb and is about 15 minutes walk from the canal basin. There's also a swimming baths as well as the Cathedral and the Herbert which is an award winning museum / gallery. The station is walkable from the basin and Birmingham is about 20 mins, London is just over an hour.

If you've got a car there's the motor heritage centre at Gaydon.

The Car museum in Coventry is superb and is about 15 minutes walk from the canal basin. There's also a swimming baths as well as the Cathedral and the Herbert which is an award winning museum / gallery. The station is walkable from the basin and Birmingham is about 20 mins, London is just over an hour.

and good moorings in Coventry basin only problem is he may find the journey from Napton to Coventry a bit boring as there are not many locks which kids mostly seam to enjoy

2 weeks from Napton (going north) could see you doing the Leicester ring - we did it from there in April.

This will take you through or near some decent conurbations such as Leicester, Loughborough, Derby, Coventry, all of which should provide enough venues to amuse an 11 year old I would have thought.

Edited by MJG

Another possibility is Oxford. 4 days ish each way. Try to get on a 7 day mooring in Oxford then you've got all of the Museums - History of science (the basement is my favourite - Einsteins blackboard, Marconi's original transmitter,etc), Ashmolean, Natural history and the Pitt Rivers. There's a very good swimming pool in Summertown and an ice rink near the town centre. There's also the different colleges to see, the Sheldonian theatre, Carfax tower, Bodlean library etc. From the bus station you can catch the Oxford tube into London. If you've got a gold license you can get onto the Thames via the Dukes cut or Isis lock.

Another possibility is Oxford. 4 days ish each way. Try to get on a 7 day mooring in Oxford then you've got all of the Museums - History of science (the basement is my favourite - Einsteins blackboard, Marconi's original transmitter,etc), Ashmolean, Natural history and the Pitt Rivers. There's a very good swimming pool in Summertown and an ice rink near the town centre. There's also the different colleges to see, the Sheldonian theatre, Carfax tower, Bodlean library etc. From the bus station you can catch the Oxford tube into London. If you've got a gold license you can get onto the Thames via the Dukes cut or Isis lock.

There are not any 7 day moorings in Oxford on the canal, the longest is 5 days with room for about 6 boats, most are 48 hr.

2 weeks from Napton (going north) could see you doing the Leicester ring - we did it from there in April.

This will take you through or near some decent conurbations such as Leicester, Loughborough, Derby, Coventry, all of which should provide enough venues to amuse an 11 year old I would have thought.

Where of course you have the Space Centre

There are not any 7 day moorings in Oxford on the canal, the longest is 5 days with room for about 6 boats, most are 48 hr.

They're by Aristotle bridge and are the next set of moorings after the water point. It takes about 25 minutes to walk in from there. The next set are 24 hour (by the playground) then there's the 48 hour moorings in Jericho. (Unless they've just changed - we've used them for the last 4 years)

Edited by Chalky

I would be with the stourport ring option. A must stay day in Birmingham so much to do ie: Sea Life Centre, Science Museum alfresco eating in Brindley Place pizza etc. Then Black country museum. A fair in Stourport (if thats your thing) an interesting river trip to Worcester, loads of locks the wast hills tunnel this would be an interesting trip. I have not done the calculations on the time for this trip so not sure whether this is a tad optimistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Where of course you have the Space Centre

Next to the space centre is the Abbey Pumping Station Museum, well worth a combined visit.

http://www.leicester.gov.uk/your-council-services/lc/leicester-city-museums/museums/abbey-pumping-station/

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The last time I visited this I found it very disappointing. I estimate the target audience age at about eight. Anybody else agree?

Dunno - if you'd asked me that 44 years ago I might have been able to tell.... :)