Favourite bit of Kit you wouldn't be without

PatM293

Featured Posts

What happens when working in a confined space and you find you need a stubby?

Or when you need a decent screwdriver whose shaft isn't wider than its blade?

The only (non-electric) screwdriver I ever use, which has interchangeable bits, is a Stanley Yankee (accept no imitations).

You download the ebooks to your computer then transfer to the kindle via the usb.

Reading the Kindle in bed is the same as a book. there is no backlight so no glare on tired eyes

Considering buying one of these, may I ask whether diagrams, photos, sketches and say maps,

that might be within text of a printed book, appear legibly on kindle screen, is the image in monotone or colour?

Secondly, can you vary size of text to suit differing eyesight standards? Or if you forget your reading glasses....

many thanks, bet these save a lot of space on a boat.

Considering buying one of these, may I ask whether diagrams, photos, sketches and say maps,

that might be within text of a printed book, appear legibly on kindle screen, is the image in monotone or colour?

Secondly, can you vary size of text to suit differing eyesight standards? Or if you forget your reading glasses....

Cant answer the first part as I dont have one, for the 2nd part yes, the text can be adjusted.

There is a very useful Q&A forum for the Kindle on the Amazon.co.uk web site

You may also want to look at the iPad if your more looking at tech type manuals it's a bigger colour screen and quicker as well as been more versatile with the the amount of Apps available. The Kindle is good at "one page at a time" type reading, but it's slow at page turns so flipping through a manual/book is a chore. Of course the Kindle is lighter, cheaper and has a eink type screen which is better for outdoors and bright environments.

The OH! :) ('bottle' beat me to it)

alternatively....

Boat:

head torch

narrow/wide beam re-chargeable magnetic torch

2-way radios

small inverter e.g. for powering laptop, low wattage power tools etc. when out on the cut

cheap 800W generator

mini-bunjees

Entertainment:

Samsung e-reader

3 MiFi

Laptop (for t'internet, music, films and tv)

iPod for music

12v portable DVD player

Edited by Québec

Well I have to admit that when they first came out I thought "never be any good, can't beat holding a book" following this thread I now wish I had one, they look great!! I am off for 3 months and have about 6 books to pack for reading and 5 guide books, checked on amazon all except one guide book were available for the Kindel could have saved myself so much space!! Also far easier to carry about than a guide book!! Looked on Amazon and estimated delivery date was 5 Jan and I am off on 6 Jan.......

I don't understand why people still waste one hand, holding a torch.

Petzl

Big heavy Mag lights are crap torches but they double as great weapons for cracking trouble-makers and ASBO kids over the head when one wakes up in the night to find them attacking the boat. :lol: You can't do that with a plastic head torch.

Merry Christmas everyone! :cheers:

Not even a Gloom?

Never broke one, personally, but I know a few folk who have, deliberately.

I don't like their halogen lamps, tbh, I had one (forget which model) that had a ring of leds around a halogen bulb and I never figured out why they bothered. The battery died soon after switching to the halogen and it wasn't as bright, either.

The Myo was just incredible, compared to it's predecessor, the Zoom, though I don't particularly like separate battery packs.

Never broke one, personally, but I know a few folk who have, deliberately.

I don't like their halogen lamps, tbh, I had one (forget which model) that had a ring of leds around a halogen bulb and I never figured out why they bothered. The battery died soon after switching to the halogen and it wasn't as bright, either.

Sounds like the one I had, The battery was not connected properly and didn't fully charge. I tried to buy a new battery but told they weren't available

Got a much wanted present this year...

Bellows!!

a must have for any solid fuel stove owner. Gets that nearly dead fire raging in justa few moments

Also pretty good on reluctant barbie's.

They aren't easy to find nowadays.

I've been thinking of making some.

Can you tell us where yours came from?

Coopers of Stortford sell new ones - they aren't in their catalogue, but I've seen them in the shop, but I'm sure if you rang them, they'd send you some. Ours came from a charity shop, I see them in junk shops all the time

Why dont you just sell your unwanted toys on ebay :lol:

As it goes I know they were from ebay as they left them in the postage packing and stuck em under the tree... The invoice was still in there :banghead::lol:

bellows

:cheers:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up