Roger Gunkel's Eberspacher Update-its long!

Roger Gunkel

Featured Posts

Was your Hydronic 10 new and what sort of problems did you have over what period of time?

It was a new Hydronic 10 supplied by NBC

I have had my unit for almost 2 years, problems so far with my unit which was luckily still under warranty at the time included, a new control unit, a new burner, new glow plug, new flame sensor, new air blower, all of these happened within the first year. Some of these problems are not all fuel related and my engineer thinks I must have just got a bad unit.

I tried using fuelset for about 6 months while using red diesel, and when my unit was serviced for its first year the engineer said that the unit was still coked up and would fail again if I didn’t switch to another fuel source.

My local engineer I got to no on a first name basis he was over that often

I changed over to paraffin after 1 year and havent looked back since.

I guess you (Fuel 2001) must have a second tank for your kero and how do you buy it, in what quantity. I have a seperate second tank for my boat heating and am deciding what to use for ease of supply.

I bought a jerry can which lives on the swim next to the deck drain. My eberspacher agent fitted a stand pipe into the jerry can and I have taken the copper pipe from the main deisel tank which used to feed the hydronic 10, and connected this copper pipe to the stop tap, which is fitted on the end of the stand pipe. This is a very crude work around and one i wouldnt recommed however I have not had one problem since.

Any decent ideas on constructing a new tank?

Im still trying to come u with a better 2 tank solution as it is a right royal pain having to fill up the jerry can from plastic 25L containers.

I buy my paraffin from a local garage by the 100 litre, and .have to collect by car. Trying to negotiate buying from a tanker. Some companies deliver 200L drums but they are so expensive, almost double in price than my local garage.

http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/amf/annex_xxv/europe.htm

This should give an explaination of differences of fuels

Edited by Fuel__2001

It was a new Hydronic 10 supplied by NBC

I have had my unit for almost 2 years, problems so far with my unit which was luckily still under warranty at the time included, a new control unit, a new burner, new glow plug, new flame sensor, new air blower, all of these happened within the first year. Some of these problems are not all fuel related and my engineer thinks I must have just got a bad unit.

I tried using fuelset for about 6 months while using red diesel, and when my unit was serviced for its first year the engineer said that the unit was still coked up and would fail again if I didn’t switch to another fuel source.

My local engineer I got to no on a first name basis he was over that often

I changed over to paraffin after 1 year and havent looked back since.

I bought a jerry can which lives on the swim next to the deck drain. My eberspacher agent fitted a stand pipe into the jerry can and I have taken the copper pipe from the main deisel tank which used to feed the hydronic 10, and connected this copper pipe to the stop tap, which is fitted on the end of the stand pipe. This is a very crude work around and one i wouldnt recommed however I have not had one problem since.

Any decent ideas on constructing a new tank?

Im still trying to come u with a better 2 tank solution as it is a right royal pain having to fill up the jerry can from plastic 25L containers.

I buy my paraffin from a local garage by the 100 litre, and .have to collect by car. Trying to negotiate buying from a tanker. Some companies deliver 200L drums but they are so expensive, almost double in price than my local garage.

http://virtual.vtt.fi/virtual/amf/annex_xxv/europe.htm

This should give an explaination of differences of fuels

More interesting information Fuel 2001!

You must have bought your boat at an almost identical time to us, which was September 2004. Your problems sound as though they were virtually identical to ours. Are there others out there with the same problems?

Your work around seems to be doing the job for you, but why the hell should you or anyone else have to make a lash up after paying so much money? If these heaters need a sparate tank and kerosene to run on the waterways, then the manufacturers and builders should be putting this in writing and providing proper installations for those whose money they gratefully accept for inadequate systems.

How much does your paraffin/kerosene cost you compared with red diesel

Regards

Roger

Hi,

This is what I was saying in my earlier comment about the use of Kerosene or Paraffin which is a lighter fuel with a density of 0.8 (lighter than Derv). It is produce for use in aeroplanes (Avtur) and a heating fuel, now because it is used by a lot of gardeners for greenhouse heating, one of the checks is for soot so the sulphur content is reduced hence less carbon deposits. I guess you (Fuel 2001) must have a second tank for your kero and how do you buy it, in what quantity. I have a seperate second tank for my boat heating and am deciding what to use for ease of supply.

M & P.

Thanks Mick& Pauline,

Its amazing what you find out when the wool is pulled from over your eyes and people start sharing information. I am just amazed that people have been putting up with the situation and shelling out for so long - good old British Stoicism I suppose. Look at poor Fuel 2001, paid out the money, doesn't work the way it was supposed to, so puts in a Jerry can and a bit of pipe. B*****ks to that! Its about time businesses became accountable and stopped telling us they've worked in lorries for years and us boaters are lucky to get tax emptions on the fuel thats probably screwing up their units! As I said before, we wouldn't put up with it with our engines so why our boilers?

Regards

Roger

The other comment about water and diesel bugs is correct, the main problem is not water because if left it will separate and could be drained from a low point. When in suspension it turns the diesel cloudy but is still usable. The bugs are different and if left to accumulate will settle to the bottom of the tank so running the tank on a low level could cause a blockage of the fuel filters. So an additive for diesel bugs would be a good bet so you do not loose your engine at the wrong time, not quite the same importance with the boat heating.

CLADOSPORIUM RESINAE

The 'Diesel Bug' forms at the interface between the fuel and the water. If left to grow will, as you say, accumulate at the bottom of the tank.

Now I know that a small amount of water is unavoidable in a tank, but if water is a big problem surely the delivery system should be suspect? I wonder how often canal side suppliers check for water in their tanks.

I remember when we took Harriers in the field that there was a test kit, like a hypodermic syringe and a small filter, that we used before putting fuel in an aircraft. If the filter turned whatever colour when the fuel was passed through it, the fuel was rejected.

Does anyone check the fuel before filling up? If so how?

Edited by Maffi

From my own experience and talking to others, it seems that water in the fuel is more a problem with supply than the usually quoted condensation in the tank.

If you buy your diesel from somewhere with a good turnover, e.g. one that services a hire fleet, I think you will have less problems with water. I usually buy my diesel in Nantwich, where they have a couple of day boats and a Challenger base. I've never had problems filling up there.

I have had a problem after filling up at Hassal Green, which probably has a much lower turnovre of diesel.

Thanks Roger, most illuminating.

We are not liveaboards, and bought a boat that had no central heating - something I have not been sure of the wisdom of, as it would not be an easy retrofit.

We do however have a small multifuel stove, (Villager Heron), and I'm amazed at how well it heats things, particularly as it is at the exteme front. An Ecofan genuinely seems to help move it along the boat - still hard to believe, but it does...)

To be honest, the problem is often keeping it checked back to the point where the front of the boat isn't sweltering, so I'm always a little surprised when I see the posts about much larger stoves not getting things hot.

I've been up working on the boat whilst there's ice around the hull outside, and although a bit of a pain to have to clean out the last fire, and light up again, I accept it as part of one of the rituals of life on board.

Even throttled back, our little stove will quite quickly bring a kettle to the boil, and I'm sure you could cook on one a bit larger. A shame our back boiler is not connected to anything - a possible future imrovement ?

I'm surprised by the level of cost of running heating on red diesel, but those are clearly the facts. I assume, but don't know that LPG based central heating will cost even more to run.

Increasingly it sounds to me that solid fuels have many adavantages - particularly if you can come by wood at no cost, or minimal cost, (ssomething I need to investigate, as we are largely burning Taybrite at the moment).

Good report about Eber but can't say I'm surprised about running costs. People I know say much the same a bout gas heating also. We also have a Villager Heron which is brilliant wether we are staying on long or short term. It is economical and extremely warm in a 57 NB. Too hot on occasions. We just use a cheap desk fan to distribute heat. With the addition of a Morco in due course we will be sorted.

...How much does your paraffin/kerosene cost you compared with red diesel...

Hello Roger

Paraffin and twin tanks are not the answer to the Eberspacher problem. I don't understand why anyone thinks this is a desirable solution. The reason I say so is that even if these systems work fine on that fuel, you simply can't get it on the canals easily. And even if you can locate a supplier nearby to where you happen to be moored at the time, you have to can it on board because it is very unlikely you'll find a canalside pump as you do with engine fuel. And you could never carry enough in a can to to fill the heater tank, it would be far too heavy, so you would have to make several trips with say a five litre can, probably to the supplier miles away, just to fill up the heater tank. As you say, bollocks to that. It makes no sense to have a sophisticated heating system which requires such a laborious and difficult approach to fuelling it.

This would be even worse whilst cruising because you'd have even less chance of finding a supplier. Liveaboards based in one spot will get to know the supplier, though they still have the problem of schlepping the stuff on board.

The only answer to this problem for those still to choose a ch system is to avoid Ebers or any other system that is known not to run properly on red diesel and find a system which does appear to do so. Alde gas is another popular solution because the fuel is readily obtainable at boat yards though it would be expensive to run if on constantly.

regards

Steve

Alde gas is another popular solution because the fuel is readily obtainable at boat yards though it would be expensive to run if on constantly.

Yes the gas does cost a lot more than diesel, but if it is used as support heating to a SF stove it is not too bad. If you have a twin-coil calorifer you can use the engine heat to heat the cabin while cruising.

And an Alde costs about a third of the cost of these diesel heaters and seem to go for years with no maintenance. How much is that worth?

Yes the gas does cost a lot more than diesel, but if it is used as support heating to a SF stove it is not too bad. If you have a twin-coil calorifer you can use the engine heat to heat the cabin while cruising.

And an Alde costs about a third of the cost of these diesel heaters and seem to go for years with no maintenance. How much is that worth?

Hello Dor

I know you have an Alde system and I agree with your comments. I'm not knocking them, they're good. I nearly went for one on the boat I'm having built but finally opted for the Hurricane which as you say is a lot dearer and you are right, this additional cost negates by a long way the additional running costs of the Alde. Although my boat has an sf stove, I can't see myself using it much, filthy and too much hassle, and therefore will rely primarily on the ch system for virtually all my heating and hot water requirements. I won't be a liveaboard but do intend to cruise in the colder months of the year, which is nearly the whole damn year. Retirement gives me a lot of free time.

That being the case I found after careful comparisons that the Hurricane is a much more rapid warm up than the Alde and, from my personal point of view in which I place comfort above price, I therefore chose it. Another though minor point was that Alde requires that the gas cylinders are changed much more often, one more hassle I don't want. Obviously diesel ch systems require more frequent tank filling but that is easier than replacing gas bottles in my view.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Your work around seems to be doing the job for you, but why the hell should you or anyone else have to make a lash up after paying so much money? If these heaters need a sparate tank and kerosene to run on the waterways, then the manufacturers and builders should be putting this in writing and providing proper installations for those whose money they gratefully accept for inadequate systems.

How much does your paraffin/kerosene cost you compared with red diesel

I couldnt agree more with the reply's around the 2nd tank, why should it fall back on myself. We just wanted heat though -

Just before we made the switch to paraffin my partner had just given birth and we had the most awful winter previous when the eberspacher kept breaking down, and cos i work away from home a lot i just wanted to make sure that we were warm, so i splashed out about £50 and havent looked back, however its not a permanant solution the way we have things set up.

Paraffin/red diesl = 45p a litre

kerosene = 33p/36p litre

Eberspacher works on both kerosene and paraffin, as paraffin has a blueish die in it and kerosene looks like urine.

There is a difference between paraffin and kerosene

http://www.rye-oil.ltd.uk/fuels.htm

I prefer to run on paraffin as kerosene is a lower grade, and obviously my hydronic 10 doesnt like low grade fuel.

Does anybody have an Eberspacher that is working faultlessly on red diesel ?

I have seen many of you posting with problems and understandably so, but are we only hearing from those with problems - in other words, are there people out there in boat land with Eberspachers that run okay on red ??

We have a Webasto which works fine, but it is not being used every day, so

I guess that doesn't mean much.

Has any liveaboard had problems with a Webasto in the same way as those with Ebers ??

Edited by Golden Duck

CLADOSPORIUM RESINAE

The 'Diesel Bug' forms at the interface between the fuel and the water. If left to grow will, as you say, accumulate at the bottom of the tank.

Now I know that a small amount of water is unavoidable in a tank, but if water is a big problem surely the delivery system should be suspect? I wonder how often canal side suppliers check for water in their tanks.

I remember when we took Harriers in the field that there was a test kit, like a hypodermic syringe and a small filter, that we used before putting fuel in an aircraft. If the filter turned whatever colour when the fuel was passed through it, the fuel was rejected.

Hi Maffi,

Yes those water kits are used to check for small (ppm) amounts of water in Avtur because you would not want a misfire on your Harrier when coming in to land. ;)

The diesel fuel suppliers should check their tanks on a regular basis because they have a small sump at the tank low point where they can draw water off until they get diesel. ;)

It is far easier to be checked there than later on your boat, which may not have a low point drain. The Red Diesel should look like a good rose' wine, not cloudy or able to see any visable floating sediment.

If there are any diesel bugs present in your tank they will turn the red diesel a lot darker, in very bad contamination towards black !!! ;)

M & P.

Does anybody have an Eberspacher that is working faultlessly on red diesel ?

I have seen many of you posting with problems and understandably so, but are we only hearing from those with problems - in other words, are there people out there in boat land with Eberspachers that run okay on red ??

We have a Webasto which works fine, but it is not being used every day, so

I guess that doesn't mean much.

Has any liveaboard had problems with a Webasto in the same way as those with Ebers ??

Thats a good question Golden Duck! It would be interesting to hear from those liveaboards that have Hydronic 5s & 10s that use them for continuous heating on red diesel without any problems.

Perhaps I should start a new thread for precisely that.

Roger

Another development for those still interested.

After nearly 2 weeks of silence from Eber and NBC and no response to any of my points, I had a call this morning. Not from either of the above, but from the independant engineers to tell me that they had been instructed to come over next Tuesday, July 4th, to fit a 400mm x 800mm towel rail in our bathroom and service the heater. Bearing in mind that this would mean taking two 22mm pipes from the tank in our newly built in wardrobe through our new built in drawed bed side cabinet, through our new bed and storage, through the bathroom wall under our built in bath, through the new bath panel up the wall and onto the only available space which is above the toilet! There has been no discussion with us at all, or any explanation. There has also been no discussion of what sort colour or style of towel rail we might like in our home! But even more importantly, we don't actually want a towel rail let alone the disruption to our home and work place, that has taken a long time to get the way that we want. It was suggested that a bit of co-operation from us would help even if it might mean dismantling some things!!!! We've waited 18 months and still counting to get this sorted.

A bit of customer liaison and courtesy would not go amiss.

I'm also concerned about this towel rail thing. We are assuming that this is a heat source that can't be turned off, to disspate heat when the Eber is running. This would presumably keeping it running at a higher output to prevent carbon build up when it runs slowly. So is this finally an admission from Eberspacher that the units do actuall coke up on red diesel if allowed to tick over, or do we assume that this is normal for all hydronics and that lorries have heated towel rails in the cabs? If I want hot water, why do I have to have a towel rail or radiator on in the height of the Summer?

I am prepared to work for a solution to this with Eber and NBC, but this bull in a china shop approach is not helpful.

Roger

Another development for those still interested.

After nearly 2 weeks of silence from Eber and NBC and no response to any of my points, I had a call this morning. Not from either of the above, but from the independant engineers to tell me that they had been instructed to come over next Tuesday, July 4th, to fit a 400mm x 800mm towel rail in our bathroom and service the heater. Bearing in mind that this would mean taking two 22mm pipes from the tank in our newly built in wardrobe through our new built in drawed bed side cabinet, through our new bed and storage, through the bathroom wall under our built in bath, through the new bath panel up the wall and onto the only available space which is above the toilet! There has been no discussion with us at all, or any explanation. There has also been no discussion of what sort colour or style of towel rail we might like in our home! But even more importantly, we don't actually want a towel rail let alone the disruption to our home and work place, that has taken a long time to get the way that we want. It was suggested that a bit of co-operation from us would help even if it might mean dismantling some things!!!! We've waited 18 months and still counting to get this sorted.

A bit of customer liaison and courtesy would not go amiss.

I'm also concerned about this towel rail thing. We are assuming that this is a heat source that can't be turned off, to disspate heat when the Eber is running. This would presumably keeping it running at a higher output to prevent carbon build up when it runs slowly. So is this finally an admission from Eberspacher that the units do actuall coke up on red diesel if allowed to tick over, or do we assume that this is normal for all hydronics and that lorries have heated towel rails in the cabs? If I want hot water, why do I have to have a towel rail or radiator on in the height of the Summer?

I am prepared to work for a solution to this with Eber and NBC, but this bull in a china shop approach is not helpful.

Roger

Hello Roger

It's no consolation to you unfortunately but New Boat Co ceased fitting Eber ch a while back and switched to Webasto diesel ch. The reason they gave me for this is that Eber require a call out to reset the electronics after failing to light a number of times, after which they lock up. Reading between the lines though I believe it is more because they had too much trouble with Eber systems and they feel that Webasto will be much less so.

On the towel rail point, these never used to be standard on their Sandpiper range, but I noticed a few months ago that they have introduced them as a standard fitting. I don't think it is primarily to dissipate excess heat from the boiler, more something for the owner's comfort. I think a lot of customers asked for one. If you wish to be able to shut it off then you need to ensure if possible that it is installed with a normal rad valve for doing so.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

On the towel rail point, these never used to be standard on their Sandpiper range, but I noticed a few months ago that they have introduced them as a standard fitting. I don't think it is primarily to dissipate excess heat from the boiler, more something for the owner's comfort. I think a lot of customers asked for one. If you wish to be able to shut it off then you need to ensure if possible that it is installed with a normal rad valve for doing so.

regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

As you rightly say, NBC have stopped fitting Ebers, but I'm not so sure about the Towel rail, as the heat dissipation work around has come from a number of sources and indirectly from Eberspacher via their sub contract engineers.

If purchasers have had one fitted, I would suggest that to avoid problems, they would be unwise to keep it off for long periods if it the only other heat dissipation apart from the calorifier. That is until official word to the contrary comes from Eberspacher.

Regards

Roger

<snip>

So is this finally an admission from Eberspacher that the units do actuall coke up on red diesel if allowed to tick over, or do we assume that this is normal for all hydronics and that lorries have heated towel rails in the cabs? <snip?

As you may know I have a new Hyd 10 fitted in Milly M. I am concerned that this unit is not up to spec.

I asked Eberspacher two questions:

Sir

I am having a Hydronic 10 fitted to my new 58 ft narrow boat. There

seems to be a lot of bad press on the internet forums about this unit.

Questions:

Will it run properly on red deisel?

What level of self servicing is doable?

their response was

We are aware of the press reports regarding all marine heaters including

our competitors. I think it is no secret that from the time the petro

chemical companies stopped supplying red diesel (I.E. White diesel with

a red die added) and started using gas oil instead, all marine diesel

appliances have been suffering.

That said, yes this heater will run on red diesel but the service

intervals may be reduced, depending on usage. If the heater can be run

on a separate tank, using paraffin, white diesel or a red diesel and

paraffin mix the service life will be greatly extended.

As for self servicing, the unit should not be touched whilst in its

warranty period.

Should you require any further information or assistance, please do not

hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Eberspacher (UK) Ltd

Heating Division

Their answer to the second question was understandable I suppose.

I have since sent them a further 8 questions I will let you know the answers.

Hi Maffi,

I find the comments you received to your Red Diesel question very misleading, because I was not aware of any oil company that would throw profit away. Because that is what they would be doing if they blended a Derv spec product and then down graded it by putting the red dye additive into it, it doen't make sense. If you want Dyed Gasoil that is what you make, not Derv.

The market price dictates the profit margin and why blend a product to be over spec, nobody is going to pay more than they should for Red Diesel. ;)

Strange, very strange. ;)

;) Maffi, (not long now, for both of us). ;):D

M & P.

As you may know I have a new Hyd 10 fitted in Milly M. I am concerned that this unit is not up to spec.

I asked Eberspacher two questions:

Sir

We are aware of the press reports regarding all marine heaters including

our competitors. I think it is no secret that from the time the petro

chemical companies stopped supplying red diesel (I.E. White diesel with

a red die added) and started using gas oil instead, all marine diesel

appliances have been suffering.

Hi Maffi,

Just like Mick and Pauline, I find your reply from Eberspacher to be strange and rather disturbing.

I don't recall any admissions from petro chemical companies about this, does anyone else?

As for the reduction in servicing hours, there appears to be no mention of how many hours or how you are expected to measure them. That also begs the question why? They are still not admitting that there is a problem running on red diesel when we all know that there is and this appears to confirm it. Why haven't other users like myself been given this same information?

As regards servicing, any warranty will be negated by self servicing and you will find appointed dealer servicing quite expensive. We have been advised typically around £300 with parts. If your service intervals are reduced, then this could add up to considerable cost. We have also found a great reluctance by any agent to supply parts direct to owners and Eber will only supply agents. I would be interested in any other observations on that aspect.

Finally, you mentioned a Hydronic 10 on your 58 ft NB. My 57 ft WB had a 10 and the engineers sent by Eberspacher said that it was over specified for the boat, removed it and fitted a 5 instead.

Regards,

Roger

Adding a heat leak is nothing new

Many houses have them fitted in the heating system for use when the boiler is only supplying hot water.

I for one would never fit any kind of diesel boiler on a boat be it a drip feed one or a Mikuni type without a heatleak.

The problem is that unlesss you have had the calorifier specially built with an extra large heat exchanger it can not disipate enough heat to stop the system shutting down.

At present I use the radiator in the bathroom as a heat leak, works well, we always get up to a warm bathroom, but then my heating in summer is only on from 0400-0700 and if I need extra hot water in the evening I just use the immersion.

As I have said before 99% of diesel heater faults are due to poor installation most boat builders just dont have a clue when it comes to fitting thse systems.

Luckily there are some boat builders that do know what they are doing (or employ people that know) but they are few and far between.

Julian

Hi Roger,

I worked for a major oil company for 35 years at a refinery handle their oil product movement and the only time we down graded Derv (G101) to Red Gasoil (G102) was when we had a tank outage for cleaning or repairs.

That not very often because of the big losses because one tank held 6,000,000 litres of product. So let say you lost a couple of pence per litre, I think you get the picture.

M & P.

Edited by Mick and Pauline

The problem is that unlesss you have had the calorifier specially built with an extra large heat exchanger it can not disipate enough heat to stop the system shutting down.

Hi Julian,

I,m quite prepared to believe that a lot of systems are poorly installed and know that there were a number of installation problems with my own, although I'm not sure where your figure of 99% or anywhere near it came from.

However, surely the problem has less to do with the system shutting down, rather the problem of greater carbon produced by the red diesel at the slower running speeds.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I worked for a major oil company for 35 years at a refinery handle their oil product movement and the only time we down graded Derv (G101) to Red Gasoil (G102) was when we had a tank outage for cleaning or repairs.

That not very often because of the big losses because one tank held 6,000,000 litres of product. So let say you lost a couple of pence per litre, I think you get the picture.

M & P.

Hi M & P

Yes, I think you have summed it up completely

Roger

We are seriously considering fitting a Webasto heater and would be interested in the answer to this ?

It appears that all the comments so far have been directed at Eberspachers ?

Hi Maffi,

Just like Mick and Pauline, I find your reply from Eberspacher to be strange and rather disturbing.

I don't recall any admissions from petro chemical companies about this, does anyone else?

As for the reduction in servicing hours, there appears to be no mention of how many hours or how you are expected to measure them. That also begs the question why? They are still not admitting that there is a problem running on red diesel when we all know that there is and this appears to confirm it. Why haven't other users like myself been given this same information?

As regards servicing, any warranty will be negated by self servicing and you will find appointed dealer servicing quite expensive. We have been advised typically around £300 with parts. If your service intervals are reduced, then this could add up to considerable cost. We have also found a great reluctance by any agent to supply parts direct to owners and Eber will only supply agents. I would be interested in any other observations on that aspect.

Finally, you mentioned a Hydronic 10 on your 58 ft NB. My 57 ft WB had a 10 and the engineers sent by Eberspacher said that it was over specified for the boat, removed it and fitted a 5 instead.

Regards,

Roger

I have put another 8 or 9 questions forward to Erbspacher including service intervals and running time, and await their reply.

Seems to me that being an Erby Engineer is a lucrative job, I wonder what the training is? I must be most of the way there with my aircraft experience.

We are seriously considering fitting a Webasto heater and would be interested in the answer to this ?

Accodring to Erbspacher their competition is getting bad press as well.

Hi Leonora, Welcome to the forum.

Sorry about all the Eberspacher replies, but my long running saga has been because of my Eberspacher problems and most comments have been from those who are particularly interested in, or have information on this particular unit.

I don't know and can't comment with any knowledge on Webasto, although it does seem that they suffer from less problems and some companies seem to be changing over to them. I have always been under the impression that they run on a similar system to the Eberspacher, but could be wrong.

It could be worth your while setting up a new topic to ask exactly your question, then the topic heading will attract those who can offer you advice.

Good luck

Roger

Seems to me that being an Erby Engineer is a lucrative job, I wonder what the training is? I must be most of the way there with my aircraft experience.

Be interesting to see their replies to your questions.

You can come and sort mine out if you're cheap! Must be a big market out there!

Roger