Ecofan problem

Robin2

Featured Posts

From a quick search on the Forum Ecofans may not be flavour of the month. My excuse is I bought it hen I thought I had money, and it does seem to move the warm air around.

A week ago it seemed to be running as normal but recently it has become very sluggish. Turning the fan by hand does not suggest any obvious friction but I think it would take very little to have an impact.

As far as I can figure out there are 3 possibilities:

2. I have been burning dirty housecoal and dust and soot may have gone into the motor, though it looks well sealed.
  3. The motor may be near its end - its about 2 years old
  4. The electricity generator may be worn out.

In view of what it cost I hope neither 2 nor 3 are correct.

I wonder if any forum members have had a similar problem?

From a quick search on the Forum Ecofans may not be flavour of the month. My excuse is I bought it hen I thought I had money, and it does seem to move the warm air around.

A week ago it seemed to be running as normal but recently it has become very sluggish. Turning the fan by hand does not suggest any obvious friction but I think it would take very little to have an impact.

2. I have been burning dirty housecoal and dust and soot may have gone into the motor, though it looks well sealed.
  3. The motor may be near its end - its about 2 years old
  4. The electricity generator may be worn out.

I have seen replacement ecofan peltiers on sale on Ebay for just under 15.00.

I seem to recall having seen the motors as well for about the same price so much cheaper than buying a new fan.

I chucked one that had stopped working but the wife had me replace it; Did not then know you could get parts :wacko:

I just replaced the motor....5 minute job.....if it runs backwards reverse the leads........around £10....job done......!

The motor that you require is a Mabuchi rf500t. I can't find a source in the UK but I ordered 10 from the US when I broke mine at about £1.50 each. I still have a couple and if you care to PM me I'll send you one in exchange for a donation to a childrens' charity.

Another member of this forum got one from me and he says that it runs slowly. I didn't notice the difference when I replaced mine.

Still think that the Ecofan is and expensive toy though.

Edited by AlanH

The motor that you require is a Mabuchi rf500t. I can't find a source in the UK but I ordered 10 from the US when I broke mine at about £1.50 each. I still have a couple and if you care to PM me I'll send you one in exchange for a donation to a childrens' charity.

Another member of this forum got one from me and he says that it runs slowly. I didn't notice the difference when I replaced mine.

That's very kind, thanks. However I don't think the motor is broken and I'm inclined now to agree with your last sentence.

I have been thinking of a more extensive air circulation system and I think I will now try it out - ducting warm air back to the bedroom.

I had motor from Alan as well and as soon as I bought it the old one stopped playing up, so the new motor is still in the spares draw.

[*]I have been burning dirty housecoal and dust and soot may have gone into the motor, though it looks well sealed.

[*]The motor may be near its end - its about 2 years old

[*]The electricity generator may be worn out.

[/list

Give it a good soak in WD40, it worked on mine.

Phil

Have you had it on the 'Hot' setting for too long?

If so it will have wound itself up as far as it can go and you should put it on your fridge, so it runs in reverse, allowing it to unwind.

I'd wait until spring, though, because the massive cooling effect is something you don't want, in this freezing weather.

Have you had it on the 'Hot' setting for too long?

If so it will have wound itself up as far as it can go and you should put it on your fridge, so it runs in reverse, allowing it to unwind.

I'd wait until spring, though, because the massive cooling effect is something you don't want, in this freezing weather.

Reading between the lines, you're not a fan

Reading between the lines, you're not a fan

On the contrary, I am currently experimenting with bolting many ecofans to the sides of a squirrel, blades pointing downwards.

I believe if this is strapped to the roof of a narrowboat then the hovering effect will enable one to lift the boat out, for maintenance, without the expense of crane hire.

Also, below is one of my early attempts to use the larger size ecofan, on a rayburn, to propel the boat along.

cover.jpg

Unfortunately, owing to the excessive power, of the ecofan, I am struggling to get the boat down to acceptable canal speeds.

On the contrary, I am currently experimenting with bolting many ecofans to the sides of a squirrel, blades pointing downwards.

I believe if this is strapped to the roof of a narrowboat then the hovering effect will enable one to lift the boat out, for maintenance, without the expense of crane hire.

Also, below is one of my early attempts to use the larger size ecofan, on a rayburn, to propel the boat along.

cover.jpg

Unfortunately, owing to the excessive power, of the ecofan, I am struggling to get the boat down to acceptable canal speeds.

If you cant find a squirrel would a badger work