Advice

Wishihadaname

Featured Posts

Hi im only young 21 but want to eventually live on a canal but still have a a pernanent job! How do people earn money and what advice do you have for someone wantig to take this way of life? Currently a marine mechanical fitter working on ships but have helped someone move their boat for a week and hire a boat on Kennet and Avon!

I live on board in a marina, some on here hate the idea and I am starting to think the same, however loads of people manage to work and satisfy the cc rules so it can be done, read one of the many threads about ccing, you'll soon see that it is an emotive subject but it will give you an insight. Good luck

Hi im only young 21 but want to eventually live on a canal but still have a a pernanent job! How do people earn money and what advice do you have for someone wantig to take this way of life? Currently a marine mechanical fitter working on ships but have helped someone move their boat for a week and hire a boat on Kennet and Avon!

I CC and I started when I was 22 with a full time job.

I have bought my own chair but could do with some toffee popcorn.

Tim

Everyone's situation is different and different options are feasible. It all rather depends on your circumstances.

However, at the beginning it's helpful to acquaint yourself with as much info as possible to help you decide. You'll find lots on the forum.

One thing to consider is where you will moor your boat compared to where you work. Central London and Birmingham are, for example, within easy train access of loads of canals and rivers. If you work in a big city you may have lots of options open. If you work somewhere more remote your options may be limited.

Another thing to think about is how much time you are willing to dedicate to logistics. If you do not have a permanent mooring, you will find that you are forced to spend more time moving the boat around. Continuously cruising (where you don't have a fixed mooring and you have to keep moving) requires significantly more forward planning.

Finally, consider the type of work you could do. I know a couple of boaters who are carpenters. One even has a fairly big workshop onboard. This sort of work means you are less tied to one location - you can cruise to your jobs (within reason). I work in an office in a fairly hard-to-reach area, and I would struggle if I didn't have a permanent mooring. I would have to move the boat, return on public transport for the car, move the car, return on public transport for the motorbike, return with motorbike. My commute to work would vary, but often would be longer than I like!

You'll find people on here who will advocate spending years doing research and planning and hiring to make sure you can live aboard. Others will recommend following your dream and just going for it. Only you will know where on that spectrum you tend to lie! Either way, forewarned is forearmed, and a bit of careful planning can prevent big headaches further down the line.

Welcome to the forum :)

Edited for clarity of thought - attempted!

Edited by Dekazer

Thanks for advice so far! I would like to keep a car if possible! Would take a complete move for me as currently live in Devon! Im guessing a mooring would be better as I would still like to have the odd week away fron boat and long weekends! Do marinas normally let people live their semi permanent?

Most marinas will allow moorers to liveaboard for a set number of nights per week/month/year. Our contract states that we can liveaboard in the marina for 11 months of the year. It wouldnt be difficult to be away from the marina for 1 month every year. The downside of course is you wont have a postal address as the berths are not strictly residential.

Most marinas will allow moorers to liveaboard for a set number of nights per week/month/year. Our contract states that we can liveaboard in the marina for 11 months of the year. It wouldnt be difficult to be away from the marina for 1 month every year. The downside of course is you wont have a postal address as the berths are not strictly residential.

or, you could find a residential mooring, it costs more in most circumstances and you'll have to factor in council tax.

Sorry Phylis, no idea why i am quoating you! cant be arsed to alter!

Or you could do what many people do and CC on a stretch of canal say 20/30 miles. Many people do this with no hassle from BW.

Note; any other members want to shoot this down with lots of boring stuff about licences, dont bother I have heard it all.

But the OP hasn't, and it is therefore worth commenting that this is not a good idea.

Yes, many people have got away with this, and encouraged others to join them, apparently totally unaware that as they encouraged more people to do as they did, it would become a bigger issue and appear on BW radar.

The self same people who encouraged others to cheat, because BW will do nothing about it are now bleating because BW are doing something about it.

But the OP hasn't, and it is therefore worth commenting that this is not a good idea.

Yes, many people have got away with this, and encouraged others to join them, apparently totally unaware that as they encouraged more people to do as they did, it would become a bigger issue and appear on BW radar.

The self same people who encouraged others to cheat, because BW will do nothing about it are now bleating because BW are doing something about it.

Im not listening.

But its acceptable in the licence guidlines. If it not then, provide me with the actual distance BW wants you to CC and I will discuss it like an adult. Untill then I am going to carry on as I am.

Its still a few years til il be able to set myself set up to live aboard! Guessing il need to find a job first in a given area! Id like to live bristol as would like to stilm be able to get to devon and Dorset seni regularly! However would need a mooring! Although midlands could work and Cc round one of the rings? How often do you need the boat lifted out water for anodes and blacking? Its a lot to think about but so keen to have this way of life! Guessing by planning early on itl give me a better chance in succeding!

Blacking once every 3 years.

Remeber that Bristol is on the River Avon, so you would need a mooring either outside of Bristol at Keynsham or similar or a mooring in the floating harbour. It would be difficult to CC on the river as there are not so many places to stop, especially if you had to leave the boat for long periods.

Do a couple more posts and then I can PM you.

Edited by Tim Doran

Im not listening.

But its acceptable in the licence guidlines. If it not then, provide me with the actual distance BW wants you to CC and I will discuss it like an adult. Untill then I am going to carry on as I am.

It is, of course, entirely up to you whether you listen or not. My comments aren't there for your benefit, but for the benefit of the OP, who might actually be taken in by the poor advice that you are spouting.

You just carry on as you wish, and then stamp your feet when BW says "no, you are not complying with your licence"

• Greenie 1

It is, of course, entirely up to you whether you listen or not. My comments aren't there for your benefit, but for the benefit of the OP, who might actually be taken in by the poor advice that you are spouting.

You just carry on as you wish, and then stamp your feet when BW says "no, you are not complying with your licence"

Bless.

• Greenie 1

Dave, You could of saved a lot of typing by inserting a link to many threads where you winge/moan/spout sh1te

Bless.

Ha ha ha

Plenty of places to get moorings between bath and Bristol and great bus service too. Unfortunatly lots of flood plains in the area too. I much prefer the river though. Wildlife is incredible.

Not near Hanham though

• Greenie 1

Before this thread gets hijacked by the usual interminable CCing rules argument, could I point out that the OP has not said that they want to CC, and has, in fact, later posted that a mooring would probably be their preferred way.

Back to the topic - if you're a marine mechanical fitter, perhaps your skill set would be transferable to inland, and you might find a boatyard/hire base/boatbuilder with a job for you, and a mooring in the yard to go with it.

<snip>

Back to the topic - if you're a marine mechanical fitter, perhaps your skill set would be transferable to inland, and you might find a boatyard/hire base/boatbuilder with a job for you, and a mooring in the yard to go with it.

Particularly if you bring the "doing things right" ethos that goes with marine engineering.

Richard

• 1 month later...