"MOVING FORWARD" engineering initiative. Restoration starts on "Tucana" in Aston

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

You know, looking at that tractor unit you'd never believe that the transport industry was in difficulties. (So I have often been told by spokespeople).

Look at the traction engine world and count the owners involved in heavy haulage. Perhaps there's a barrel to tap Laurence?

Derek the thought about the "difficulties" went through my head when I saw that too!!

You know, looking at that tractor unit you'd never believe that the transport industry was in difficulties. (So I have often been told by spokespeople).

Look at the traction engine world and count the owners involved in heavy haulage. Perhaps there's a barrel to tap Laurence?

Mutton dressed as lamb I,m afraid a bit of a joke in the haulage industry :D

• 4 months later...

"Tucana" is now at Norton Canes docks, She has been stripped of the cabin, engine and fuel tanks removed and is now lying on her side for work to start removing the worn out bottom,

Here she is on the dock:

gallery_5000_522_202640.jpg

and the hold view:

gallery_5000_522_62910.jpg

a chance to admire the Yarwoods swim curves:

gallery_5000_522_6925.jpg

An unusual view of the stem iron with Graham Edgson looking on:

gallery_5000_522_87653.jpg

and the reason why we are replacing the bottom, a test area after the needle gun! Its a GU "Caulender" class - - - - -

gallery_5000_522_18280.jpg

Laurence, since the move from Aston, what has happened to the Museum now the buses have gone.

Ray Shill

I have acheived getting it grade one listed, and that includes the interior, track, overhead supports, the whole darn lot. So if you see anyone messing with it SHOUT loud. I am amazed given the time the former occupants were there no one bothered to look into this. The "collection" is now at Aldridge.

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

• 3 months later...

After being pointed here from another post Id like to thank Laurence and his organisational skills for taking on these boats, whats the state of play with Tucanas bottoms atm?

She is in the workshop at Norton Canes atm with major work underway, I shall have a large update to post soon regarding the boat and its future uses.

Look forward to that, some of the pics you posted when she had been blasted clearly showed some of the riveting marks around the head of the rivets, Ive never seen any uncovered in that way but it was interesting to see they survive even after all this time.

I remember someone saying that Pinner was beyond repair is this still the case? At one of the last Walsall top lock gatherings I attended a local character insisted the counter of Pinner was somewhere in the jungle under where the big blue crane was, any truth in this do you know?

Finally, not wishing to take the thread too far away from Tucana, whats happening with Effingham? is she to be renovated or has some other fate awaiting her?

Finally, not wishing to take the thread too far away from Tucana, whats happening with Effingham? is she to be renovated or has some other fate awaiting her?

Worth a forum searchon boats you may wish to know what's happening to.....

Turned up this, for example.....

Post from another thread regarding Effingham

I believe Pinner is under restoration at Roger Fuller's at Stone, isn't it ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Thanks both, now a search didnt help on this one (but it could be just me) are the boats still part of the Moving Forward project?

No, the "Moving Forward" has been beset with serious problems, the original site for restoration (Bham Railway works Tysely) being lost at the 11th hour. Pinner was never collected from Bradley, Tucana and Effingham were stored for several years at Branston. BW eventually wanted to recind all the leases, however I stepped in and persuaded them that Tucana could be a ongoing project. Tucana was sold to MF in 2010. The other two went on the auction list.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 1 month later...

The "Moving Forward" project Is no more in effect to the narrowboat element. "Tucana" has been sold to Millfields Primary School in Catshill, Brownhills. This school and its associated "cluster" of schools are going to run the boat and help to restore it. They have taken over the project from "Moving Forward" and Small Heath School and seem to be very excited and full of intent to see the boat back in action.

Whilst the contribution to restoration made by Moving Forward has to be acknowledged, progress forward with that orginisation has been dreadfully difficult and slow. As project manager I was struggling at most times to get decisions made and often hadnt a clue if they understood the reality of what was going on. The Millfield School team have already shown commitment and are happy to get properly involved in the restoration, they even have a retired boatbuilder who is coming on with us to work on the boat.

Graham Edgson and his men have made a fabulous job of rebottoming the boat, now as you can see they sre putting new supports in for a false floor so decking out of the hold can commence. It is envisiged that the hold will be fully open with the cross beams and mast beam in place, running gear will be made and then removable pods will be dropped in for cover and seating to form an open air classroom.

The stern is to recieve a weedhatch, new deck and gunwales, cants, proper dollies and a new Yarwoods styled cabin. The guards are to be rebuilt allowing the third (missing) guard to be added. In all "Tucana" now faces a much better restoration and will in due course come off the dock looking like a proper full length Middle Northwich motor rather than the DIWE/BW hybrid she had turned into.

Some pictures taken this week and recently, the three people in the one picture are L_R Graham Edgson (Norton Canes Boat Builders), Michelle Sheehy (Headmistress of the school) with teaching colleague Shaun Brazier.

gallery_5000_522_265632.jpg

gallery_5000_522_231453.jpg

gallery_5000_522_115150.jpg

gallery_5000_522_219741.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

• 5 months later...

Tucana is coming on. A vast amount of work has removed the major dents from her stern and the counter is now being rebuilt. Evidence found of the position of the third guard means that Tucana's counter will look like a small Northwich, it was found NOT to have had three equidistant bands but the same arrangement of one large and two smaller equal bands as on the other Northwich boats. Filled rivet holes were discovered proving the position.

A weed hatch has been fitted some old square section guards removed and the whole counter is now rebuilt to the correct height.

The engine has been overhauled and tested and is in fine condition, so slowly she is coming back!

P109002011-06-13_zpsd9a3ddaa.jpg

P10900211-06-13_zpse904cd81.jpg

Despite the title of the thread the Moving Forward operation is now disbanded and the project under the control of myself acting for Millfield School at Brownhills.

P109001811-06-13_zpsc0c07fc4.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

gallery_5000_522_219741.jpg

I'm sure I have made similar comments before, but every time I revisit a picture like this, I realise it is hardly surprising that "Sickle", (sister to "Tucana" for those who don't know), rolls a fair bit!

It really is more like a whale or a torpedo than many "typical" narrow boats!

"Sickle's" roll has incidentally been significantly reduced by removing her top heavy water ballast, (some of it formerly in a big agricultural container just like that pictured behind Tucana's Lister), and putting in low level iron ballast to lower the centre of gravity.

In one of her bits of past "attention" "Sickle" had also acquired a counter with wrongly spaced guards. That was not a late on butchery, as my 1973 pictures of her show the non-standard arrangements. When she was restored, those doing the work reverted to a normal Northwich spacing, similar to that on "Tycho", although I believe Tycho's counter may now also be a modern replacement?

Sickle 1973 (my copyright).

970724_394879747294529_1304129370_n.jpg

Sickle 2013

431823_394885437293960_27412961_n.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

TYCHO's counter is a new one, but slavishly copied from the original by Graeme Pearce and crew at Stockton in 2002. The rivets may not be quite exact replicas of those used by Yarwoods, but they are in the correct places as are the rubbing bands.

• 1 month later...

Early July report on "Tucana". Work progressing very well, the stern actually looks like a Yarwoods boat now with all three guards displaying the message! Much work has seen the major dents pushed out and a new gunwale put on. Alterations to the weedhatch to increase the depth have been done and the stern is now looking very complete. The engine has a new starter (So the B-stards who stole it at Aston Manor now owe us £360!)and the overhaul of the HA3 is completed and ready to install.

The pictures are all from today:

gallery_5000_522_992.jpg

gallery_5000_522_7982.jpg

gallery_5000_522_10495.jpg

gallery_5000_522_10673.jpg

Looking good Laurence :)

Always remember Tucana, or "Zodiac" as it was named then, on the G&S when I was growing up and it's good to know she's being looked after at last.

Thanks Ian, I too remember her tied up and looking forlorn. Great pity she was neglected so much, being tied up for so many years in the same place inflicted some serious wear damage to the hull in places. Although D&IWE stripped these boats down after getting them from the MOWT after the war, maintenance seened scant. I have the maintenance instruction sheet for her which on the face is quite comprehensive however I doubt anyone read it. On that sheet she is simply referred to as "Longboat B10". Quite when and how someone attached the name "Zodiac" isnt really known but she certainly isnt "Zodiac", that boat was No 100 and has been positivly identified.

• 5 months later...