Block testers

Smelly

Featured Posts

Ah we my perceived engine woes might not be as bad as I thought. I bought the block testing kit have tried it three times and it went green. Not yellow, as it does with the CO2 from my breath, but green; slightly bluey green.

The destructions say diesel engines might go green, but this is slightly bluey green i.e it's staying alkali (assuming it's a litmus test, the colour range is the same).

I'm loathe to chuck 5-600 quid at head gasket replacement when I've got an ambiguous result.

Any ideas?

Ah we my perceived engine woes might not be as bad as I thought. I bought the block testing kit have tried it three times and it went green. Not yellow, as it does with the CO2 from my breath, but green; slightly bluey green.

The destructions say diesel engines might go green, but this is slightly bluey green i.e it's staying alkali (assuming it's a litmus test, the colour range is the same).

I'm loathe to chuck 5-600 quid at head gasket replacement when I've got an ambiguous result.

Any ideas?

But you don't have an ambiguous result do you? You don't have an indication of failure, so you probably have a water leak, which is what you thought in the first place.

Not relevant here, but our BMC developed a very sneaky leak from the endcap on the header tank which would drip coolant onto the exhaust where it would evaporate. Lost coolant, no puddles in the bilges - devious bloody engine! You could see the rusty evaporation mark on the exhaust if you knew where to look

Richard

There's an additive used on vehicle production lines to check for water leaks. It's added to the water in the water test booth (think industrial strength full vehicle shower / monsoon). It's invisible to the naked eye, but glows under UV light. I seem to remember that some manufacturers use it in their running in oils for the same reason.

I agree with Richard. Sounds like a water leak.

Funnily enough I've been looking at pressure testing kits...

It still went green though; some of the websites say "yes" and some say "no". Some stuff of lower pH than the test fluid went through it...

The dilemma is I don't want to hang around if it is the HG.

I wonder if anyone can lend me either a compression tester or a pressure tester... I shal ask around the pub this eve...

Would such a sneaky little seepy leak cause the whole system to airlock? Blimey...

Now to rebuild the bathroom. Bleed the circuit again tomorrow and see...

Here's hoping!

I couldn't see it last week when I looked; the coolant has been seeping down the inside of the insulation jacket by the looks of it... There's a giveaway blue stain now though, seeping out from under the cal'.

We'll see tomorrow.