Mooring Charges at Great Haywood marina

Madmark62

Featured Posts

Hi Mark

I enquired the very same a couple of months ago. I was looking for a mooring for a 57'. I think I'm right in saying it was a little under £2,500, but I also seem to recall that there was a £500 'joining fee' but this did entitle you to a free crane out. I have visited the marina in the past for maintenance things and they are extremely helpful and it's a nice place.

Hope that helps.

Can anyone tell me how much they charge for a 58 ft boat please? Their website says just to phone them or fill in an enquiry form.

Also has anyone ever bought a boat from there? Are they a good brokerage?

TIA

Mark

Not as good as we are at Overwater or Stowe Hill. Please come and visit.

The reason I wanted to know is that, my friend bought a boat there a week or so ago and after the survey was completed and the completion of the deal to buy, he was then ntold he had to pay £250 a week for mooring there until he gets the boat moved, He was not told it was that much , although he was expecting to pay, it just seems a lot of money per week and the canals are frozen so he cannot get the boat back here to Yorks,

I think they are a bloody cheeky set of swines becausethe boat he originally wanted to see had already been sold when he got there, after he rang them to ask if the boat was still available. When he arrived to see it he was then told it had gone. The reason they told him it was still there was "Well we have got plenty of other nice boats to see and I am sure you will find another one you like", Now I would have just driven off after giving them a mouthful, but he agreed to have a look and now they want £250 a week on top of all the hassle he has already had.

Seems a bloody dodgy way of running a business to me.

rant over.

I pay £1916 for my 50ft berth at the new Aston Marina at stone wich is a little bit further up the cut from Great haywood. very happy with the service they provide and it,s in a beautiful location They offer a 10% discount on next years fees for every moorer that I (or anyone else recomends)so I,m looking for 100 of you to book in and mention my name. PLEASE

cost for a 60ft berth at present is £2,354 inc vat.

The reason I wanted to know is that, my friend bought a boat there a week or so ago and after the survey was completed and the completion of the deal to buy, he was then ntold he had to pay £250 a week for mooring there until he gets the boat moved, He was not told it was that much , although he was expecting to pay, it just seems a lot of money per week and the canals are frozen so he cannot get the boat back here to Yorks,

I think they are a bloody cheeky set of swines becausethe boat he originally wanted to see had already been sold when he got there, after he rang them to ask if the boat was still available. When he arrived to see it he was then told it had gone. The reason they told him it was still there was "Well we have got plenty of other nice boats to see and I am sure you will find another one you like", Now I would have just driven off after giving them a mouthful, but he agreed to have a look and now they want £250 a week on top of all the hassle he has already had.

rant over.

I have to agree

rant over.

Justifiable rant!

The people at that marina do not sound very helpful to me, just profiteering on the back of the extreme conditions.

Also, to allow you to travel there, on the basis that the boat you were interested in was available, but then sold, sounds like familiar practice to me. I would certainly give them a wide berth (no pun intended) in future.

The £500 'joining fee', is this redeemable when you decide to leave and moor elsewhere? I believe that this fee is applicable at Tattenhall Marina on the Shropshire Union Canal. I also believe that this marina is only half full. If they operate a similar practice there, is it any wonder! <_<

Edited by Doorman

Justifiable rant!

The people at that marina do not sound very helpful to me, just profiteering on the back of the extreme conditions.

Also, to allow you to travel there, on the basis that the boat you were interested in was available, but then sold, sounds like familiar practice to me. I would certainly give them a wide berth (no pun intended) in future.

The £500 'joining fee', is this redeemable when you decide to leave and moor elsewhere? I believe that this fee is applicable at Tattenhall Marina on the Shropshire Union Canal. I also believe that this marina is only half full. If they operate a similar practice there, is it any wonder! dry.gif

We went to gt Haywood to look at boats. Saw one off site that we liked and paid a deposit subject to survey. Survey threw up too many large problems so I cancelled the deal. We did get back our full deposit money, after they tried to sell us other boats.

I understand that the "joining" fee for the moorings does not apply if you bought the boat from them. I cannot comment on having to pay a mooring charge from the time of buying the boat to when you remove it. I would have thought you should be allowed a "reasonable" time, say 14 days in normal weather. But in circumstances where it is impossible to move because of ice / stoppages, then there should be some leeway.

When we bought our boat from ABNB, we were not able to move her for several weeks because of the ice. Not only did they allow the boat to stay on their non towpath mooring, they also kept her connected to shore power to keep batteries charged and stop her freezing. We moved her as soon as the moorings we were going to was ice-free.

That is good service.

rant over.

This sure is a very dodgy way of running a business, but your friend must have been really desperate to buy another boat then the one he came for, or the one he bought was exactly what he wanted anyway. If not way did he buy there and than, while there are lots of narrowboats for sale all over the place, like at more serious brokers or even privatly there's lots of choice.

This yard is abusing the situation, and they seem to be far from client friendly and because of that they will surely lose potential future customers.

Peter.

rant over.

I wonder just how widespread this practice is as the same thing happened to me with a boat for sale at Braunston Marine. I travelled 90 miles to view it but was told it was sold when I arrived. Needless to say I never went there again.

he was then ntold he had to pay £250 a week for mooring there until he gets the boat moved,

Unless he signed a contract to that effect he should tell them to sue him for the money and move his boat immediately, even if it means struggling though the ice.

no-one can charge you something you haven't agreed to beforehand.

The £500 'joining fee', is this redeemable when you decide to leave and moor elsewhere? I believe that this fee is applicable at Tattenhall Marina on the Shropshire Union Canal. I also believe that this marina is only half full. If they operate a similar practice there, is it any wonder! <_<

I think you will find that both Great Haywood and Tattenhall are part of the same group.

Dave

I wonder just how widespread this practice is as the same thing happened to me with a boat for sale at Braunston Marine. I travelled 90 miles to view it but was told it was sold when I arrived. Needless to say I never went there again.

Interesting statement.

For a short period in my business life, I ventured into a partnership with a former apprentice friend from years gone by. His work practices, were less than desirable and I used to ask him if he ever considered how many customers he'd lost due to such shoddy treatment. An unknown quantity, as he would never learn such a value, due to the fact that they never returned.

Similarly, Brokers, or, any businesses who operate in such a manner, delude themselves by 'sharp practices', foolishly believing that they've tricked the likes of you, or, I, into doing business with them!

They say that 'word of mouth' advertising is priceless, what cost therefore, are the type of negative comments like yours, or, my own for that matter. I shall never forget the unscrupulous tactics played on us, by a certain 'Broker' up north. Nor, shall I refrain from telling people either! :angry:

Fortunately, the widespread use of the internet helps to promote this sort of awareness, something which appears to be lost with short sighted cowboys!

Mike

Edited by Doorman

We booked a weeks mooring there in October, when moving the boat from Church Minshull to Lichfield, they wanted £60 for the week.In the event we took a wrong turn & missed it! Can you not book a week or two on visitor moorings at that rate & see if the weather improves enough to move it in that time?

Hi.That sounds quite ludicrous to me.We are currantly stuck in the ice opposite welton marina,and we are booked in at Great Heywood Marina for Christmas.Though its looking more and more like we wont make it in time.Our mooring fee over the Christmas period there is £10 a night.Not sure whats going on,as we have always found them very resonable people.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

on reading this post it seems to me that im the friend that is being eluded to [well if i am let me put the record straight one the boat sales and the marina are seperate buisnes,s and although they have to conform to the rules of the marina they are atonomous i did indeed go to see a boat that was advertised as there and was found to be sold when i got there but i belive that was a clerical oversight and in fact was offered a contribution to my expenses i didn,t come to see only that boat either i had a long list and happily as it happenes i saw the perfect boat at a very reasonable price and bought it . from thereon in the boat sales staff have kept me fully informed assisted me in getting the boat surveyed and saftey certified and been helpfull and totaly professional in ther approach to me (thank you).as for the marina madmark quoted £250 per week when the correct price was £60 per week which is a discount of £10 per week yes i am iced in but i can hardly blame the marina managment for that and as the charges are paid up untill mid january 2011 ill be gone before it becomes an issue so to sum up up to now i have had a good experiance at great hawley marina

Edited by nowhereman

Hello Nowhereman, and welcome.

Thanks for putting the record straight and illustrating why unsubstantiated criticism of a company is not (usually) allowed, on the forum.

Chinese whispers can damage an innocent organisation's reputation irreparably.

Hello too, Nowhereman,

are you still on good terms with your 'friend'?

It would appear that you've been badly mis-quoted. I suppose

the clue is in his name! :wacko:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

• 2 weeks later...

This sure is a very dodgy way of running a business, but your friend must have been really desperate to buy another boat then the one he came for, or the one he bought was exactly what he wanted anyway. If not way did he buy there and than, while there are lots of narrowboats for sale all over the place, like at more serious brokers or even privatly there's lots of choice.

This yard is abusing the situation, and they seem to be far from client friendly and because of that they will surely lose potential future customers.

Peter.

Hi there,

We had our boat fitted out at Great Haywood and moored in the Marina there until march this year, the mooring fees then were just short of £2400 for a 60' boat but a registration fee (non re-fundable I think?) of £200 was payable at the start, however, you get a free pull out of the water once a year, you can always move to Tatenhall for no extra charge. The guys(especially the maintenance guys) at the Marina are a great bunch. As far as I am aware the brokerage is run by Steven Goldsborough boats but I could be wrong. We only moved for a change of cruising area.