BCN Challenge

dove

Featured Posts

Remember the rules though; the crew size is the maximum number of crew that you have an any point time. I suspect you are already at 6 though.

It does raise an interesting point , you are in a queue for a lock and some from another boat works one side of the lock, does that count as extra crew?

10 at the moment, so we're not going for small crew points, offset by the long boat points we do get.

OOh Sue this paddle is really really stiff I can't move it, oh this gate just won't open at all...

That won't work either, the crew will be instructed to remove those trying to delay us to a convenient spot while we go through the lock, and put them back afterwards to annoy the next boat :blink:

Sue

Edited cos I got the quoting bit wrong.

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

Please, please, pretty please with a cherry on top...................tell me there will be a BCN Challenge in 2012!

We are due to complete on the purchase of a boat tomorrow (HOORAY, loud :cheers: all round) but short of it being beamed to the bottom of the Wolverhampton 21 by the Starship Enterprise there's no way we can get it there for this years event.

It just looks sooooooooooooooo much fun.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Edited for punkchuashon but not spelin.

Edited by Victor Vectis

The YWBS crowd are still looking for a boat with good ship 'party boat' ling still being in stratford! However if we pull it together there will be a late entry. Otherwise im hoping to be there on another boat... AHHHHHHH!!! Challenge!!

Daniel

The YWBS crowd are still looking for a boat with good ship 'party boat' ling still being in stratford! However if we pull it together there will be a late entry. Otherwise im hoping to be there on another boat... AHHHHHHH!!! Challenge!!

Daniel

As long as you mean Stratford on Avon not Stratford in London what's the problem, You're only 2 days at the most from the centre of Brum, and there's a weekend before the challenge, no problem for you young boaters. What are you messing about at.

Can't really help with alternative boat, we're full, sleeping room on the roof only left now, be OK if you don't roll about in your sleep :blink:

Sue

Oh, and (minor point) can the lock speed go under 8 mins? I calculated our 2009 route as taking 26 hours, which it definitely didn't or we wouldn't have had time for that leisurely dinner and 8 hour kip.

OK, I've set the lower limit on lock time to 6 minutes, but if you say you can do it quicker than that you'll be getting my "I don't believe you" face.

OK, I've set the lower limit on lock time to 6 minutes, but if you say you can do it quicker than that you'll be getting my "I don't believe you" face.

Some take little, some take lots. I was experimenting to make the planner match the 2009 route, so I could base this year on that.

Hang on - all this talk of Tawny Owl being able to float on a damp flannel.... I see the cunning plan now! They're going to seed the clouds for rain, then launch her over the moistened top gate of Perry barr and watch her glide down the flight.

Perhaps it is time to reveal our secret weapon

VOLVO_TD_WATER_PUMP_1.jpg

Richard

We can get her moved easily enough, it's just finishing the paint job in time and at the moment I only have weekends to work on her.

Come on sarah, get it done! You know it makes sense, i'll finish the painting for you on monday. (I have the week AFTER the challenge off)

Team Tawny Owl has made it's first positioning move today, ably assisted by Wrigglefingers (thanks Jill)

BW attempted to thwart our progress, but we won through:

Positioning1003-s.jpg

Richard

Yeah, if anyone would like to come along, please PM me. Yeoford is a 12 berth camp boat and last time I checked we had 3 bunks still available.

Were starting off from Gas Street basin on Saturday morning and returning there on Sunday evening, so it's really easy for everyone to get to.

There will be a small charge probably between £45 and £55 , this covers the hire of the boat and cost of entry. The more people we have coming along, the cheaper it will be.

Edited by sarahavfc

Wand'ring Bark and her crew of backwater die hards have been in training over the weekend doing a quick sprint from Camp Hill to Autherley as a warm up to the main event next weekend.

Look forward to seeing you all in Walsall on Sunday afternoon.

Capt Ahab

How about a side category for "Most creative boat signage"? :P

On a more serious note... is there any restriction on HOW the 6 hours break must be taken? Can it be taken as 3x 2 hour breaks outside pubs, for instance, or must it be one 6 hour block? Just in case I might possibly happen to be crew for anyone, and fancy a bit of night cruising. :)

Edited by BeckyJC

I believe you can take the 6 hours "off time" however you like, including at the end like the 2009 winner did.

Oh and on additional awards, how about the most naff bunting award. I thought it was cheap and ebay and now I know why.

Edited by john6767

I believe you can take the 6 hours "off time" however you like, including at the end like the 2009 winner did.

Oh and on additional awards, how about the most naff bunting award. I thought it was cheap and ebay and now I know why.

If you are taking Tawny Owl on at bunting, you'll lose. We're incredibly cheap and tacky

Richard

How about a theme, 'Friend's of Nobber's' for instance

If you are taking Tawny Owl on at bunting, you'll lose. We're incredibly cheap and tacky

Richard

How about a theme, 'Friend's of Nobber's' for instance

Sue is picking up 2 banners today. I have no idea what size they are or how we are going to secure them onto the boat and everything is assuming that Sue can fly back from Belfast on Friday morning ..... Where was that thread about sea crossings?