Inverter and charger

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Hi,

Will soon be in the market for an inverter and battery charger and not sure what to get.

I know everyone raves about Sterling but theyre not exactly cheap.

Probably looking at a 1800w or 2000w inverter max with modified sine wave. No ideas what charger to get.

We dont have many 240v items at all so inverter not likely to be used much at all, hence dont want to spend a fortune on one. Think maybe a 1800w may be too big, but figured its better to have too big than too small.

Any rtecommendations on what to get without paying out the national deficit?

Cheers

Frank.

Suggest you look at Mastervolt/Victron....more money but you only want to buy one dont you?

That was going to be my recommendation, but OP ruled them out with the wording of his question.

"What can I buy that's good and cheap"

Well, in this area, to the best of my knowledge, nothing.

Tony

Hi,

Will soon be in the market for an inverter and battery charger and not sure what to get.

I know everyone raves about Sterling but theyre not exactly cheap.

Probably looking at a 1800w or 2000w inverter max with modified sine wave. No ideas what charger to get.

We dont have many 240v items at all so inverter not likely to be used much at all, hence dont want to spend a fortune on one. Think maybe a 1800w may be too big, but figured its better to have too big than too small.

Any rtecommendations on what to get without paying out the national deficit?

Cheers

Frank.

I've had a Sterling 1800w for 6 years, it's been no trouble even though I have overloaded it a couple of times with power tools.

It runs the fridge 24/7 and an electric toaster upto a 100a DC - when I allow her to use it.

Just avoid talking to Charles Sterling.

I only use the engine for charging as we travel almost everday.

I seems you need at least a 40A charger for the domestic bank.

Alex

Edited by steelaway

Just get a cheap Chinese inverter off EBay and a caravan 3/4 step 25 amp charger likewise for now. Experience therewith will then dicatate your future investment and you may find out you do not have to go the expensive route for many years and then what you originally bought is sound back up

Edited by blodger

Just a thought, how are you going to supply (240v) to the charger?

I am guessing shore line.:rolleyes:

Sometimes shore line maybe, but mostly a silent genny.

I am also aware that I'll need a galvanic isolator but I presume theyre pretty much a standard piece of kit.

I am also aware that I'll need a galvanic isolator but I presume theyre pretty much a standard piece of kit.

If only.:rolleyes::D

As for a galvanic isolator, my boat came with one so could not advise on that.

Sterling are reasonable pieces of kit - but certainly not the best quality or the most expensive. The main problem is that Sterling seem to use the customer as their quality control dept, so a small percentage of their equipment goes wrong straight away. I've sent stuff back to them and they just send new items back - they don't even ask for a reciept.

When I kitted out my boat 5 years ago Sterling were about the cheapest in terms of good chargers and inverters and I don't regret not buying better quality and more expensive Victron equipment. However, I think the market has got cheaper while Sterling's prices have remained fixed. Someone posted a link to a South African charger recently and it looked good for the price. If you do buy Sterling then shop around as you might find a good deal. I used these people: http://www.yachtbits.com/power_management/inverters/

As for galvanic isolators, I'm afraid they do vary in terms of what they can do. The unit I have will stop radio frequency interference from switch mode appliances causing its diodes to go into conduction up to 2.4v (most others will only do 1.2v which may not be sufficient to stop RFI). http://www.safeshoremarine.com/

Edited by blackrose

If you just want something small to run the odd phone charger, laptop fairy lights, whatever. Then prehaps you just want a 300w sort of size unit?

- We've got a £30 maplins MSW inverter and it works a treat, pure sine wave versions are also available for only an amount more.

Daniel

If your using a generator for 240volt supply you need to ensure that a cheaper type charger will work from it.

Some generators especialy the cheaper ones do not poduce very clean electric and may not power a cheaper charger.

I know that victron inverter/chargers can be configured to run from a dirty/poor/weak electric supply.

Just some thing else to think about.

If your using a generator for 240volt supply you need to ensure that a cheaper type charger will work from it.

Some generators especialy the cheaper ones do not poduce very clean electric and may not power a cheaper charger.

I know that victron inverter/chargers can be configured to run from a dirty/poor/weak electric supply.

Just some thing else to think about.

I may be wrong but thought it was the other way around - that in general more sophisticated equipment requires a better quality sinewave? Perhaps the configuration on the Victron you mention actually downgrades the charger?

Edited by blackrose

I may be wrong but thought it was the other way around - that in general more sophisticated equipment requires a better quality sinewave? Perhaps the configuration on the Victron you mention actually downgrades the charger?

I believe that the cheaper equipment just does not give out pure electric or does not like poor electric.

Just my experiences

You're not wrong.