So confusion has been engedered

Tony Brooks

Featured Posts

Just out of interest is seems that the potential confusion of customers feared in a previous thread is happening. That thread and a post in another place has shown the initials ABC are being used to identify two totally different boat companies of which ABC is not their full trading names. Just gos to show how important it is to keep ones ear to the ground.

PS - only an observation, we do not want to open up the last thread again.

Edited by Tony Brooks

ABC Leisure's lawyers will no doubt already be on the case. I'm sure they do not want others damaging either their reputation or profiting from it.

Unless they have ABC registered as a trade name or logo, they cannot do anything about it, except hurridly register it of course.

Many years ago I tried to arbitrate on a similar problem between two Natiomnal Voluntary Youth Organizations using the same logo. The Young Farmers Clubs had been using the Logo "YFC" for more than fifty years, when a new organization called Youth for Christ started to use the same initials. Despite the history the new organization refused to co-operate, however, neither organiztion registered the logo and today they both still use YFC as their logo. I often wonder which one do people automaticaly think of when they see something like Shrewsbury YFC.

Another more interestig success was when the the department of the Environmentwas created, it had to adopt the logo "DOE" instead of "D of E" because the Duke of Edinburgh's Award had already registered the logo.

<snip>

Many years ago I tried to arbitrate on a similar problem between two Natiomnal Voluntary Youth Organizations using the same logo. The Young Farmers Clubs had been using the Logo "YFC" for more than fifty years, when a new organization called Youth for Christ started to use the same initials. Despite the history the new organization refused to co-operate, however, neither organiztion registered the logo and today they both still use YFC as their logo. I often wonder which one do people automaticaly think of when they see something like Shrewsbury YFC.

<snip>

Shrewsbury Young Farmers Club

Richard

(ex-chairman Kenilworth Young Farmers Club)

Initials and logos are different things. Logos are graphics, a piece of artwork.

Famously, Quark Software and the Scottish Arts Council managed to come up with the same logo a few years ago!

logos.gif

nfyfc_logo.gif

National Young Farmers Clubs

logo.gif

Bath Youth for Christ

They both look like Logos to me, not just initials

Edited by David Schweizer

WWF.

I understand that, though they were under no obligation to, The World Wrestling Federation changed it's initials to WWE, so as not to undermine the Worldwide Fund For Nature (even though they had already dumped "World Wildlife Fund" so rendering WWF pretty meaningless).

I have no idea what the "E" stands for, in "WWE".

WWF.

I understand that, though they were under no obligation to, The World Wrestling Federation changed it's initials to WWE, so as not to undermine the Worldwide Fund For Nature (even though they had already dumped "World Wildlife Fund" so rendering WWF pretty meaningless).

I have no idea what the "E" stands for, in "WWE".

The 'E' stands for 'Entertainment', as apparently they don't do wrestling, they're a 'Sports Entertainment' company (which is another way of saying that the storylines are more important than the wrestling - personally I prefer wrestling, so these days tend to watch TNA (Total Nonstop Action, before you ask) or Ring of Honor). As far as I'm aware, they did eventually lose the court case brought by the other WWF, who were around long before Vince McMahon renamed the WWWF (World Wide Wrestling Federation) in 1984.

Have I just outed myself as a bit of a wrestling geek?

The chances of two parties happening upon the same three letter acronym are surprisingly high; by the time there are 157 TLAs in use a coincidence becomes more probable than not.

Assuming my maths is right (a big assumption) there are 17,576 possible combinations although some letters/combinations are doubtless more regularly used. Even so, the above is based on the less favourable, random selection,

The chances that they are in the same line of business is harder to calculate. One the one hand, there are less people to bump into, but some letters are likely to be common e.g. B for boat or Y for youth. Therefore unless it is very much a case of in-your-face confusion, reluctance to change the TLA is understandable as it is quite difficult to avoid.

National Federation of Young Farmer's Clubs

Richard

Yes of course I knew that, but as I was drawing attention to the "YFC" element, I ommited the Federation bit.

In past years, I served as an Adult Advisor on both the Somerset and Gloucestershire Excecutives, and attended many of their rallies. I also have a small collection of early YFC booklets on farming teqchniques dating back to the 1940's. Interestingly, the logo inn those days was a roundel with a horse pulling a plough against an Art Deco sunburst.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1