Marine toilet type poll

Marine toilet type poll  

149 members have voted

1. 1. What type of toilet do you have fitted to your boat or if your boat is still in construction or in planning which is going to be installed.

• Dump through pump out - the bowl sits above the tank from which the waste is pumped out from
    • Toilet with a remote tank from which the waste is pumped from.
    • A cassette toilet which allows pumping of waste to a remote tank.
    • A free standing cassette loo with separate flushing and holding tanks that are separated.
    • A 'built in' cassette loo which draws its flush water from the boats main water supply
    • A 'built in cassette loo which draws its flushing water from an integral water holding tank.
    • Composting toilet
    • None of the above

Featured Posts

Well I voted for dump through but we do also have a portapotti. I voted for the dump through because when asked recently which we'd live without given the choice I realised that if it was one or the other I'd ditch the portapotti without a second thought. We've lived aboard full time since June last year and have never poo'd in the portapotti - as I've said before neither of us are remotely inclined to revisit our shite once it's exited.

Not the best of analogies, as I can use the bog at home with impunity, and don't need to store my sewage somewhere within my living space for periods we are advised can be up to 6 months. I also don't need to take the house anywhere to get rid of said sewage, once I can't store any more of the stuff somwhere within my living space.

Not actually that sure. I have a ces pit, so I do store my sewage. Now of course I don't take my house to the pump out, instead it comes to me. Its only a matter of logistics, and storage times.

Biggles

This is our 3rd boat, so have had one of those plastic cassettes types that just sit on the floor, a dump through pump out, and we are now have a vacuflush cassette affair.

My personal preference would be for the dump through, on the basis of once you've gone, it's kind of out of sight, out of mind, and generally someone else empties it for you. However, it was a constant source of consternation, especially when it was nearly full.

Mr Hum now prefers the vacuflush, mainly as it's free to empty it even though he has to do it - I have no further involvement in these affairs once I have pushed the button. It does tend to fill quite quickly though, despite our obsessive use of on-shore facilities. A friend came to visit the other week, and announced he wanted to use the loo. After we'd composed ourselves - it was his first time on a boat and he didn't know about the etiquette of not using someone else's toilets - I instructed him to push the button on the wall when he'd done, but forgot to tell him to put the lid down first. I head the toilet flush, followed by some expletives. "Christ" he said, "that thing nearly sucked my nuts off!"

When we go home we tend to put the cassette in the back of the car and then drive round to the sanitary station. Last week Mr Hum had to brake suddenly, and there was an ominous sloshing from the back, which was a little worrying for a moment.

I head the toilet flush, followed by some expletives. "Christ" he said, "that thing nearly sucked my nuts off!"

For me it was worth starting this thread just to read that sentence.....classic (and I've just spit tea and bacon butty bits all over my keyboard.) :lol:

The poll only allows you to select one option, so I cannot express the fact that on Warrior we have the Best of Both Worlds - a dump through, and a spare Elsan kept hidden under the floor Just In Case. All the benefits of the simplest sort of pumpout without the worry of what happens if you can't get to a pumpout station. (Though in fact it has only been used when Warrior was out of the water for a long time).

The poll only allows you to select one option, so I cannot express the fact that on Warrior we have the Best of Both Worlds - a dump through, and a spare Elsan kept hidden under the floor Just In Case. All the benefits of the simplest sort of pumpout without the worry of what happens if you can't get to a pumpout station. (Though in fact it has only been used when Warrior was out of the water for a long time).

Fair point but I suppose if you are happy to vote on the basis of your principal 'facility' that would be OK.

So a summary of the results so far

- pretty much even stevens between various types of pump outs and various cassette types, which differs from the 'straw poll' on the boats moored on our pontoon a few weeks ago which showed roughly about 2/3rds of boats did not have any sort of pump out fitting on the hull so by implication had some sort of cassette.

For some reason Jan thinks I'm getting a bit anal about marine toilets so I'll sign off from this thread for now....

Same point as Chertsey, cant select multiple options

We have the "luxury" of two facilities - remote pump out and a composting loo in it's own "cloakroom with wash basin and 2 dozen odd coats..

plus a porta potti stored in the bowels of the engine roon in case of need,,,

pump out as above gets my vote!

Cassette for Cobbett coming through ...

Until this weekend, I always favoured a cassette and I still do for my personal use, but I must say that with a boatful over the weekend a pump-out might have come in handy.

It's horses for course really - it takes me about two weeks to fill my cassette, so that means it'd take me about six months to fill a remote tank. Not sure I want (ahem) carp swimming round my boat for that length of time. Could be corrosive. Say no more .....

I agree, it got quite difficult at the weekend, and being so cold, and you at the other end of the marina it wasn't easy to nip out and use the facilities. However for 90% of the year it's the best option for you.

So if you are going to mass cater on a regular basis you need a pumpout :P (or at least an extra cassette).

<snip> A friend came to visit the other week, and announced he wanted to use the loo. After we'd composed ourselves - it was his first time on a boat and he didn't know about the etiquette of not using someone else's toilets.

This reinforces my thoughts that cassettes are not for people who like to regularly be sociable. How can you expect people to visit if they can't use the loo. Presume you don't offer them a drink either then :blink:

My conclusion, cassettes are great if you don't mind emptying them, and don't regularly have lots of visitors. Pump outs are the only option if you regularly have lots of people on your boat.

(We've got TWO pumpouts so could last ages if necessary, but at least it means we can take lots of friends away with us, which is what we wanted the boat for)

Sue

:cheers:

Ok Ill play your silly game. I obviously have a cassette because I use my boat not polish it 3 times a year. Today a boat appeared at Thrupp I was just emptying my cassette Gents asks where can I get a pumpout card so I tells him but Mike is not around to sell him one said boater has been full for 3 days and had to break ice to get here he has come from napton where p/out NO ONE there to sell him token so to Banbury.........no one at Banbury.........he gets to Heyford too late shut...any way he eventualy reaches Thrupp and again no joy.............Guess what ? I drove him to Bicester to a caravan shop and he bought a PROPER toilet .............Now then what was that song way back called you know the one with the lines When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn......... :lol:

We've got a PROPER toilet and a silly little plastic Porta-Potti in case any of the above happens!

I've commented on the forum before, about how my boatie neighbours can be seen trudging around to the Elsan in all weathers,

some every two days, when we only have to pump-out once a month. IMO it's a no-brainer :wacko:

We've got a PROPER toilet and a silly little plastic Porta-Potti in case any of the above happens!

I've commented on the forum before, about how my boatie neighbours can be seen trudging around to the Elsan in all weathers,

some every two days, when we only have to pump-out once a month. IMO it's a no-brainer :wacko:

Mike can I just check you've voted..

Mike can I just check you've voted..

Yep, as requested. :)

I voted dump n pump but will be buying a porta as a back up. We bought our boat with no fuel and a full toilet, went from Eslow to Fennay Compton before we found a pump out open, never again.

That reminds me of when we were on the Staffs & Worcs last year. We met a family of 7 people, including 3 kids, who had just privately hired a 60' narrow boat from some unscrupulous guy. He hadn't emptied the waste tank, or, filled the water tank for his 'clients'. As they were new to boating, they were at a loss as to where they could get the tanks emptied and filled respectively.

Once they reached a pump-out station, it was discovered that the waste tank was blocked and couldn't be cleared. Their boating holiday was cut short and they returned the boat demanding a refund. What a sod! :angry:

I've have used a dump through pumpout, combined with a casette loo back up, for many years on my old boat, and initially, after using a cassette loo for the last 6 months on the new boat, I'm starting to prefer the cassette loo, it's only a cheap plastic one, but the freedom it gives, just being able to avoid the increasingly un-reliable pumpout machines on the K&A, is a revelation to me.

So I think for a Holiday/weekend boat, a dump through pump out is ideal, however once the boat is used on a more regular basis the advantages of a casette loo become more obvious.

All I need now is to fine a nice ceramic dump through bowl mounted onto a plastic casette, as it's only the plastic bowl that feels a little 'downmarket' to me

Paul

Edited by GSer

Does anyone still use the old elsan bucket-and-chuck-it type? I've got a Victorian thunderbox which is simply a very large bucket with a removable a porcelain top, all encased in a mahogany cabinet. Wouldn't swap it for any of these new-fangled contraptions.

Sir, sir, sir, me, me, me.

That, and a spade .......

Can't resist looking at this

- so it now seems as though the pump out brigade (under there different guises) are edging ahead, and within that the remote tank pumpouters are the favorites...

It's a real 'Netty swingometer'

God I screwed then. Reverse layout, macerator toilet, huge windows, not a rose or castle in sight unless its on someone elses boat in eye shot. I suppose I should now fit electric heating as well.

You haven't? If on a mooring with electric, electric heating to take the nip off just after/before summertime is handy when it's too warm for a stove.

You haven't? If on a mooring with electric, electric heating to take the nip off just after/before summertime is handy when it's too warm for a stove.

No no no. Put a roast on. It's a lot more interesting than an electric heater.

Pump out or cassette? I agree.

No no no. Put a roast on. It's a lot more interesting than an electric heater.

Pump out or cassette? I agree.

I've seen your boat - and it's cassette...

Edited by MJG