Boat in a "bottle"

PiRSqwared

Featured Posts

Ahoy!

We are in the process of buying a boat (still at offer stage, so very early days yet) which is currently lying on the K&A near Thatchem. I'm not sure how long it will all take to complete - survey etc - but I'm guessing at least another 3 - 4 weeks before things are signed and the boat is actually ours.

So here is my question...is the boat going to be trapped on the K&A (iced in) until February before we can move it to our mooring in Essex?

And here is my other question...what would it cost to get someone to sail it up to the RC as my holidays are fixed? And I don't fancy sailing along the Thames yet.

Thanks in advance

Lex

The canal won't necessarily freeze over to the point you can't move at all, but I think it's forecasted to. Shouldn't last more than a few weeks if it does.

What's the RC? Sorry, been a while since I've been down that way and I don't have a map to hand! I wouldn't worry about the section of the Thames between Reading and London, though. It's hireboat territory after all.

The canal won't necessarily freeze over to the point you can't move at all, but I think it's forecasted to. Shouldn't last more than a few weeks if it does.

What's the RC? Sorry, been a while since I've been down that way and I don't have a map to hand! I wouldn't worry about the section of the Thames between Reading and London, though. It's hireboat territory after all.

Sorry - Regent's Canal

The other thing to consider is actual stoppages for lock repairs etc.

Edited to add: K&A seems to be OK between Newbury and Reading so far but here's the website link so you can check later.

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/stoppages

Thanks. Yes the (planned) stoppages seem to be kind to us - all hail the credit crunch!

Lex

The K&A rarely ices up sufficiently or for long enough to prevent navigation, the last severe icing over a prolonged period I can recall was in either 1995 or 1996.

The biggest hazzard to navigation is fast flow on the eastern end of the River Kennet section, particularly where the river runs through Reading. The increae in flow can be be very sudden and sometimes so severe that BW may put a temporary stoppage in place. However from recollection this is more common at the end of the winter

Best to contact them before you reach Reading if it has been raining a lot.

Edited by David Schweizer

The K&A from Newbury to the Thames is mostly a river navigation. It normally doesn't freeze but it is very fast flowing during the winter months. Many of the locks are bypassed by the river but the river then resumes just below the lock, Woolhampton in particular can be very tricky, there is a swing bridge just below the lock which you must open before you leave the lock. A couple of miles outside of Reading it is twisty and fast, it is easy to be swept into the bank on the bends. Through the Oracle at Reading the flow is confind and then you reach High Bridge, which is anything but, if the river is high the boat may not fit. Generally by comparison the non tidal section of the Thames is a doddle, the lock keepers will not allow you to proceed if it is dangerous, unless you refuse to take their advise, then they give you a red card. I understand insurance companies rub their hands with glee if you have one and anything goes wrong.

I had a call from the marina this afternoon, just reassurance, the levels are rising but they have been round and checked the mooring lines. The marina is off the canal on the river section, we sometimes see a rise of a foot in an hour before the automatic sluices open and drop the levels.

If all this sounds scary, then good, the K&A in winter needs to be treated with respect, be careful and you will be ok, underestimate it and you could be swimming.

Ken

Thanks. Yes the (planned) stoppages seem to be kind to us - all hail the credit crunch!

Lex

Unfortunately Hurley Lock on the Thames is closed from 1st November 2010 to 28th February 2011 so better remain on the canal until this is cleared. Link to Thames Winter Lock Improvements Programme

So it looks like you are wont be able to get home until March after all.

Mike

Newbury K&A

Unfortunately Hurley Lock on the Thames is closed from 1st November 2010 to 28th February 2011 so better remain on the canal until this is cleared. Link to Thames Winter Lock Improvements Programme

Mike

Newbury K&A

Does this mean that the lock is closed for that whole period, or just part of it?

Does this mean that the lock is closed for that whole period, or just part of it?

There is an accompanying Lock Improvement Programme Map which shows the stoppage as "Locks with complete closures during dates listed". I would not expect to be able to pass through Hurley until the 28th Feb although with it being a Monday, you may find it opens on the Friday.

There is an accompanying Lock Improvement Programme Map which shows the stoppage as "Locks with complete closures during dates listed". I would not expect to be able to pass through Hurley until the 28th Feb although with it being a Monday, you may find it opens on the Friday.

Thanks

Mike

Newbury K&A

Thanks for posting the link to the stoppages on the Thames, that's just goosed our plans for early next week, its now just Oxford and back