Brass Nuts

bargeeboy

Featured Posts

I managed to buy some Whitworth nuts at Uxbridge Boat Centre, I think.

Think they only had one or two sizes for something specific, so probably will not have what you want, but might be worth the cost of a phone call ?

Certainly were not eighteen quid + VAT, though! :o

Edited by alan_fincher

I managed to buy some Whitworth nuts at Uxbridge Boat Centre, I think.

Think they only had one or two sizes for something specific, so probably will not have what you want, but might be worth the cost of a phone call ?

Certainly were not eighteen quid + VAT, though! :o

No stock at UBC

Tim could be onto a winner here . . . . . :cheers:

I'm quite surprised they're only 7/16", I'd have expected more like 5/8" for Joshers sterngear, though must admit haven't been involved with that side of one for a year or two.

Re the prop shaft enquiry, that was for 2.5" dia, I've only ever seen 2" on Joshers' motors, 2.25" on large GU motors.

Tim

Here you go (clicky)

!BvdjgtwBWk~$(KGrHqIOKkIEwP0SijmqBMEqpYLTQ!~~_1.JPG?set_id=8800004005

cheers,

Pete.

That seems cheap enough to me.

Mind you, as the OP said he was concerned to rebuild 'as original', the original would very likely have had 'old' Whitworth nuts, ie a hexagon one size bigger than BSW, 7/16" Whit had the same hex size as 1/2" BSWhit - and UNC? wash your mouth out, sir! :D :D

Tim

I am sure they were not on ebay last friday !!!

Thank you

I now have plenty and should anybody need any !

Thank you again

Re machining, the shaft is 2 and 1/8 " and most lathes take 2 " hence the problem

However we are rebushing the stern gland to 2 " and turning down the existing shaft to match

Thank you all again

Re machining, the shaft is 2 and 1/8 " and most lathes take 2 " hence the problem

However we are rebushing the stern gland to 2 " and turning down the existing shaft to match

Thank you all again

You must lead a very sheltered (lathe) life, they come in any size you want to pay for ;)

My big lathe takes 3.25" 'up the spout', my small lathe 1.25", there are plenty bigger and smaller.

Pleased to hear that you have it sorted.

Tim