What TV aerials are good.

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

I got one from Argos for about £50..that has a 'masthead' amplifier...and you plug in a small power adapter inside the boat near the telly.

It replaces a rather large one that had big stcky-out vanes and looked like Jodrell bank..and it does a much better job and is quite small.

It is still aerial ( aluminium type) shape...

I did try one of these little square plastic jobbies....but never got that to work very well.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

Hi Frank.....You see all kinds of aerials on the network, and you'll probably find that they will all work resonably ok, but in some area's some will work and some wont and vice versa....I think you will need some form of aerial booster to enhance the signal anyway...you pays ya money and takes your choice as they say...I helped someone out not to long ago and got him a maxview omnisat aerial and together with his booster it worked ok when he was at Sherbourne Wharf in the heart of Birmingham but as the Sutton transmitter isn't that far away I can understand that, and he certainly said that it works 50% of the time when in the middle of knowhere fuzzy pictures on analogue and nothing on digital.....

Martyn

Edited by Martyn Hicks

Just want something that will look quite tidy, work ok and not be overly expensive.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Frank

I have to get a perfect picture to maintain matrimonial bliss, so have tried a few, best one I reckon was a 32 element aerial by Labgear, think I got it from Screwfix. One issue I have found is Height, on occasion I moved 30 metres and got no picture till I put another metre on my pole, I use a caravan type mast modified to fit the boat.

Phil

Any recommendations?

Yes, absolutely. The V10_30 or V10_40 log periodic from here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/logperiodic.htm

Their page specifically about those (and other) aerials is here: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page11f.htm#list

The advantage of these is that hey're small, well made, have no clumsy rear reflector, and are robust.

We have a loft aerial at home for bedroom and kitchen TVs and I've messed around with a variety of aerials over the last few years, none of which would give me better than around 60% signal strength with the associated freezing and popping on Freeview.

On recommendation on these forums I tried a V10_30 and I was absolutely amazed at the improvement. It's a smaller aerial than those it's replaced, yet now gives a signal strength in excess of 80%.

I recommended one to a mate for his caravan and now he's a fan too.

There may well be cheaper suppliers than Satcure, that's just the dealer that I used. I have no connection with them.

Tony