Liverpool Link - Pictures

TheWilk

Featured Posts

Click for pictures

Last Friday (which would have been my docker Grandad's 98th birthday, oddly) I came down from Melling to Liverpool, through my old stomping ground of Bootle and Litherland.

All credit to the BW lads who got us through the locks and swingbridges, and the ones who look after the docks as well. Between Burscough and Melling I had to call them out twice (Crabtree Swingbridge got stuck) and they couldn't have got there quicker. Also the staff in Wigan were great, seeing as I was probably a bit harrassed on the phone, what with 20 Range Rovers beeping their horns at me...

I was planning to stay in Salthouse Dock over the winter, but seeing as I'd be the only one I've decided to go in the marina instead.

This trip is incredible, the views are stunning, I demand everyone book a passage immediately! There also can't be many mooring so close to a Hilton hotel :)q

I live in Liverpool and would love to bring a narrow boat into the Salthouse Dock.

Only problem don't know of any hire boat firms with a base close enough to do it.

So until we have our own boat will just have to put it n the to do list

try Red Lion Hire Boats

try Red Lion Hire Boats

Link for Red Lion RED LION

This trip is incredible, the views are stunning, I demand everyone book a passage immediately!

You might be interested to look at my "Virtual Cruise" through the Liverpool Link, on a somewhat sunnier day!

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/liverpoolcanallink/link60.htm

Also, see the Virtual Cruise from Litherland into Liverpool

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/ll83.htm

in which the mystery of those "landing stages" is revealed.

There also can't be many mooring so close to a Hilton hotel :)q

Apart from Sheffield, where the Hilton Hotel stands alongside the canal basin.

:)

Click for pictures

Last Friday (which would have been my docker Grandad's 98th birthday, oddly) I came down from Melling to Liverpool, through my old stomping ground of Bootle and Litherland.

All credit to the BW lads who got us through the locks and swingbridges, and the ones who look after the docks as well. Between Burscough and Melling I had to call them out twice (Crabtree Swingbridge got stuck) and they couldn't have got there quicker. Also the staff in Wigan were great, seeing as I was probably a bit harrassed on the phone, what with 20 Range Rovers beeping their horns at me...

I was planning to stay in Salthouse Dock over the winter, but seeing as I'd be the only one I've decided to go in the marina instead.

This trip is incredible, the views are stunning, I demand everyone book a passage immediately! There also can't be many mooring so close to a Hilton hotel :)q

Fab photos, certainly on our "to do" list when we finally get our boat, hopefully next year ;)

I live in Liverpool and would love to bring a narrow boat into the Salthouse Dock.

Only problem don't know of any hire boat firms with a base close enough to do it.

So until we have our own boat will just have to put it n the to do list

You can hire a 45ft at red lion caravans at Scarisbrick

• 2 weeks later...

hi there the wilk i i live in princes dock and i remember seeing you pass through a few weeks ago. are still moored in basin or did u move to the marina?

I'm in the marina now. I thought you said you lived in Widnes? <_<

I'm in the marina now. I thought you said you lived in Widnes? <_<

yes sorry the wilks yes i do come from widnes and live in widnes but for 4 months am staying at my freinds pad in

princes dock while he is travelling around Oz. he is back in January

how you finding the marina

i may walk down there tomorrow and have a nose! i havent been for a while!

Edited by daveyboi2050

• 9 months later...

Restaurant/trip boat coming soon (should be amazing)...

Liverpool has its first restaurant canal boat Sep 20 2011 Echo

13489670.jpg

LIVERPOOL’S first ever restaurant canal boat has sailed into the city’s waters. The Floating Grace will offer visitors the chance to cruise the city’s new canal link and see some of the famous landmarks. The boat was delivered to the Liverpool Marina yesterday and is set to become operational in October. It will hold up to 50 people for a three-hour sailing, sightseeing and dining experience.

Nigel Mellor, from operator Vauxhall Neighbourhood Council, said he was “absolutely delighted” to see the boat delivered to the Albert Dock. He said he couldn’t wait to see it sail into action.

Restaurant/trip boat coming soon (should be amazing)...

Liverpool has its first restaurant canal boat Sep 20 2011 Echo

13489670.jpg

LIVERPOOL’S first ever restaurant canal boat has sailed into the city’s waters. The Floating Grace will offer visitors the chance to cruise the city’s new canal link and see some of the famous landmarks. The boat was delivered to the Liverpool Marina yesterday and is set to become operational in October. It will hold up to 50 people for a three-hour sailing, sightseeing and dining experience.

Nigel Mellor, from operator Vauxhall Neighbourhood Council, said he was “absolutely delighted” to see the boat delivered to the Albert Dock. He said he couldn’t wait to see it sail into action.

Had to laugh, they did a report about this on BBC Radio Merseyside yesterday and never called it a barge once.

Last time there was a news report about something on the L&L can't remember whatit was but they kept calling it a barge which resulted in me shouting at the radio all the time

But is it the first?

Hi folks

I heard on Radio Merseyside that a floating restaraunt barge will be launched today.....the first of a kind they say...but I remember a barge on the canal passing my back garden at night up to 13 years ago.You could hire the barge out for meals,birthdays ect.The barge was a splendid sight at night.It was an oasis of light on the dark canal.Soooooo this new barge isn't the first one.Do any of you remember the original barge?Did you have a meal on it?

Take Care

Maureen

The barge was called "The Roland", and was based at Burscough,

my Wife and myself used to work on it as the Caberet,

It finally ended its days at the Trencherfield Mill garden's in Wigan,

and was an exhibit in" The Way We Were", over the year's Vandalism

took It's toll, and alas it was broken up..

Regard's Bill Tomo..

Comments taken from a bootle site.

But is it the first?

Hi folks

I heard on Radio Merseyside that a floating restaraunt barge will be launched today.....the first of a kind they say...but I remember a barge on the canal passing my back garden at night up to 13 years ago.You could hire the barge out for meals,birthdays ect.The barge was a splendid sight at night.It was an oasis of light on the dark canal.Soooooo this new barge isn't the first one.Do any of you remember the original barge?Did you have a meal on it?

Take Care

Maureen

The barge was called "The Roland", and was based at Burscough,

my Wife and myself used to work on it as the Caberet,

It finally ended its days at the Trencherfield Mill garden's in Wigan,

and was an exhibit in" The Way We Were", over the year's Vandalism

took It's toll, and alas it was broken up..

Regard's Bill Tomo..

Comments taken from a bootle site.

They are boats on the L&LC, not barges, which you find in docks and on rivers. All the L&LC boatmen I knew would have thought it a bit of an insult to be called a bargeman. The other trip boat on the canal in Liverpool was the Peace, operated by Mike Sampson. It was formerly one of the grain boats working between Birkenhead and Blackburn, and then on coal traffic until 1972.

• 2 months later...

All aboard for new venture ... Published: 23 November 2011 Liverpool.gov

canal-boat2.jpg

A new Liverpool business is ‘launching’ a city first for events. The Floating Grace – a 70ft long, 13.5ft wide canal boat – is to set sail on her maiden voyage on Thursday (24 November) and is a new venue for conferences, meetings, outings and parties. The barge, which can hold up to 50 passengers, will play host to a networking event for business women, giving them the opportunity to link up businesses and discuss issues facing their organisation. It will set off from Mann Island Basin and passengers will enjoy a leisurely three hour journey through the new Liverpool Canal Link past the Three Graces and taking in the other historic city sites on the way.

In order to establish the Floating Grace, the Vauxhall Neighbourhood Council (VNC), one of the city’s leading social enterprises, received a £20,000 grant from Stepclever which helps start up businesses and existing organisations in North Liverpool and South Sefton grow and develop. The VNC used the money to equip the vessel to provide a high quality sound system, install broadband and ensure the Canal Boat has disabled access. The support also helped towards start up costs.

Nigel Mellor Project Manager for the Restaurant Canal Boat initiative said: “It has taken three years of really hard work to get to this launch stage. We are very grateful for all the help we have had along the way- particularly from Stepclever- since this has meant we can offer excellent facilities to meet customers’ different requirements. And, we’re delighted to welcome the Women’s Organisation on board for our maiden voyage!”

Not only are these voyages a first for events in the city, but the canal boat itself isn’t a traditional boat as it is driven from the front and inside the cabin – rather than being controlled from the back, on the outside. Liverpool City Council’s cabinet member for employment, enterprise and skills, Councillor Nick Small, said: “The Floating Grace is really filling a gap in the market – not only is it providing a unique venue for events, but it also gives passengers the opportunity to enjoy the city’s fantastic architecture from an entirely new perspective. One of Stepclever’s goals is to help entrepreneurs achieve their business dream and give them as much help and advice to make their business viable in these current, difficult economic times. The Stepclever team work hard with local businesses to make sure they grow and flourish and I hope that the Floating Grace is a successful venture and people take the opportunity to make the most of this venue with a difference.”

For more information, visit www.thefloatinggrace.com call 0151 482 2534 or email enquiries@thefloatinggrace.com

I dont want to be negative but are there anyparts of this trip that you would advise caution when going through or any places that should be avoided for mooring?

It looks great and very well done and organised but as with any large city, there are places best avoided.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

We did the Liverpool link last year and had a whale of a time.

BW met us at bridge 9 (I think that was the one) and operated the swing/lift bridges for us. We were the only boat going to Liverpool that day.

The BW lads tell you that they will meet you at the next bridge and they are there to meet you.

The only advisable place to tie up is at Litherland services where you can top up with water and empty Elsans (I think). Then you can carry on into the city.

Please do not shout at me for getting the "no mooring" wrong.....lol

We left just before the Matthew St. Festival (poor homework on my part!) but we will be back sometime when we can be there for the festival.

Colin

Great picture ...

Floating restaurant sets sail on her maiden voyage along the Liverpool Canal Liverpool Echo Nov 25 2011

floating-grace-canal-boat-517415056.jpg

Floating Grace canal boat

A FLOATING restaurant has set sail on her maiden voyage along the Liverpool Canal. The canal boat, named The Floating Grace, will play host to networking events, parties, meetings and conferences. Businesswomen from the Women’s Organisation climbed aboard for the maiden voyage – a three-hour journey from Mann Island Basin through the Liverpool Canal Link, taking in historic sites.

The barge, which measures 70ft x 13.5ft, was funded with a £20,000 government grant through Stepclever, which helps business start-ups and existing organisations in north Liverpool and south Sefton to grow and develop. Vauxhall Neighbourhood Council (VNC), a social enterprise, used the grant money to equip the vessel with a high-quality sound system, install broadband and put in disabled access. The money also helped with the venture’s start-up costs.

Nigel Mellor, project manager for the Restaurant Canal Boat initiative, said: “It has taken three years of really hard work to get to this launch stage. “We are very grateful for all the help we have had along the way, particularly from Stepclever, since this has meant we can offer excellent facilities to meet customers’ different requirements.” VNC also intends to run matchday cruises to home games at Goodison Park and Anfield.

Cllr Nick Small, Liverpool council’s cabinet member for employment, enterprise and skills, said: “The Floating Grace is really filling a gap in the market. Not only is it providing a unique venue for events but it also gives passengers the opportunity to enjoy the city’s fantastic architecture from a new perspective.”