too expensive

endeva

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You don't see many Ferrari's, top end Range Rovers, or other very expensive cars in the staff parking spots at hire bases. Suggests that the hire prices aren't that excessive, given the business costs.

A lack of Ferraris, Range Rovers, Maseratis, and the like is not necessarily a sign that a business owner "isnt" making loads of money.

I don't drive a flash car but, if I wanted, I could buy an Aston Martin DB9 for cash, without it having a noticeable effect on my cash flow. I choose to drive something less flash, and less expensive.

By the same token, the same cars are not necessarily a sign that a business owner is making loads of money. The money can be borrowed in a whole variety of ways and, over the years, I've seen lots of people hock themselves to the hilt just to be seen driving a flash car, only to come a cropper.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

A lack of Ferraris, Range Rovers, Maseratis, and the like is not necessarily a sign that a business owner "isnt" making loads of money.

I don't drive a flash car but, if I wanted, I could buy an Aston Martin DB9 for cash, without it having a noticeable effect on my cash flow. I choose to drive something less flash, and less expensive.

By the same token, the same cars are not necessarily a sign that a business owner is making loads of money. The money can be borrowed in a whole variety of ways and, over the years, I've seen lots of people hock themselves to the hilt just to be seen driving a flash car, only to come a cropper.

So very true. 

I once went to a banter of property investors in West London. There were at least half a dozen multi-millionaires and several millionaires present and the poshest car in the car park was mine, a 15 year old Peugeot 205 GTi.

• 6 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2006 at 12:51, endeva said:

I would really like to hire a narrowboat for a week to sample the delights of life on the canal system this year but £500 to £800+ and that's in the low season too! WHAT!, no way could I as an ordinary working man afford that on my modest wage, it is therefore impossible for me to sample life on the inland waterways, or is there a cheaper alternative I have not though of out there?

So fast forward to 2020, and £1000 / week seems about the rate ? I consider this good value given its an all in cost. Transport /Home / entertainment . I shall fly from New Zealand to do it again. the cost for me and wife adds another £2000 plus .  We also intend on hiring a cottage ,likely in the Lakes , an area I know very well. This will cost in the region of £700,  add to that £200 for a car plus fuel to get about and the comparisons are evident. And... the view when you wake up is the same every morning . The UK canals are a unique experience to be had no where else , even France has nothing comparable in extent or terrain.

Just popped in some random dates into Kate Boats availability and most were booked up... seems people are accepting of the cost and appreciating the 'self containment' a narrowboat can give them..... all without queuing at an airport or having to isolate for 14 days without pay..... bargain!

• Greenie 1