too expensive

endeva

Featured Posts

Hope you've changed the cooking an washing up conditions now you're married ! ? :lol:

Well, she still prefers to be taken out for dinner instead of cooking

And the sleeping arrangements too for that matter.

Oh yes, we don't always have to take 6 other men with us on the boat these days.

Kawaton

I think Jannel have now stopped hiring out boats.

Why do you think they have stopped?.....i hope they haven't

We last hired only a few months ago. They didnt mention anything. (we have been using them for nearly 15 years......)

I know there arent any prices on the website, but i dont think they were published until feb last year.

Why do you think they have stopped?.....i hope they haven't

We last hired only a few months ago. They didnt mention anything. (we have been using them for nearly 15 years......)

I know there arent any prices on the website, but i dont think they were published until feb last year.

Quick answer it is in Waterways World February edition (don'nt have it to hand at the moment so can't give page number)

Quick answer it is in Waterways World February edition (don'nt have it to hand at the moment so can't give page number)

thankyou :lol:

Gutted though. They were nice people.....(well still are i guess, but it does feel as though someone has died, lol)

Been with them many times........boats werent the best quality out there, but never bothered me.

Shame.....

Got a xmas card from them at xmas aswell...........expect it's the last.

Havent been able to get WW yet. Did it say why?

Edited by kawaton

thankyou :lol:

Gutted though. They were nice people.....(well still are i guess, but it does feel as though someone has died, lol)

Been with them many times........boats werent the best quality out there, but never bothered me.

Shame.....

Got a xmas card from them at xmas aswell...........expect it's the last.

Havent been able to get WW yet. Did it say why?

Hi

Sorry not WW but Towpath talk here's a Link about half way down titled 'more changes'. Sorry about the bum steer.

Hi

Sorry not WW but Towpath talk here's a Link about half way down titled 'more changes'. Sorry about the bum steer.

Thanks very much for that!!

I wonder what they are doing with the hire boats.....they arent advertised as being "up for sale" on their website....

The majority of hire boat companies in midlands tend to be semi trad.....and so we are now swaying towards Countrywide cruisers

But.....We have 2 German Shepherds, and worry there wont be enough room at the back. Does anyone else have a semi trad, and big dogs, that could comment?

Edited by kawaton

Thanks very much for that!!

I wonder what they are doing with the hire boats.....they arent advertised as being "up for sale" on their website....

The majority of hire boat companies in midlands tend to be semi trad.....and so we are now swaying towards Countrywide cruisers

But.....We have 2 German Shepherds, and worry there wont be enough room at the back. Does anyone else have a semi trad, and big dogs, that could comment?

I would have thought Semi-trad would be Ok. They are just cruiser stern with sides and back. Another way of describing them is a trad with no roof.

• 13 years later...

Having just viewed a half board trip to Barcelona for 2 during August costing £700 including flights how does a week on a narrow boat cost £1500 when the client pays for the fuel which also provides the electricity, the laundry costs should be no more than those encountered by a b and b, possibly less if done 'in house' and the client also provides the provisions (food). I have a boat on the Solent which costs me £500 a year in moorings and club membership together with maintenance costs which vary. I would dearly love to use the canals but whilst I accept the hidden fees for licencing the vessel, insurance and maintenance costs and need to make a profit surely the costs charged are 'money for old rope' ! Yours Aye, Skimmer

If 6 of you go to Barcelona the price goes up.   The cost of the narrowboat hire doesn't.

We are hiring a boat for 10 days next week for £1000 less than what we are paying to go to Majorca for a week in mid August.

PS, im still here :)

Edited by kawaton
  • Greenie 1

Having recently booked a hire I started reading this thread from the top and didn't realise it was 13 years old until seeing the post about it being dug up. It's interersting because over those 13 years nothing much has changed in terms of the numbers. But of course £1k was worth more 13 years ago than it is now, meaning that canal holidays are effectively cheaper than they were back then. That said, so are package holidays and many other things, so canal holidays still seem disproportionately expensive, especially when comparing with the cost of say a 2 or 3 bedroom lodge with hot-tub in a park in Dorset or Devon for example (which would be little more than half the price of a 60ft narrowboat).

John

12 hours ago, john ince-jones said:

Having just viewed a half board trip to Barcelona for 2 during August costing £700 including flights how does a week on a narrow boat cost £1500 when the client pays for the fuel which also provides the electricity, the laundry costs should be no more than those encountered by a b and b, possibly less if done 'in house' and the client also provides the provisions (food). I have a boat on the Solent which costs me £500 a year in moorings and club membership together with maintenance costs which vary. I would dearly love to use the canals but whilst I accept the hidden fees for licencing the vessel, insurance and maintenance costs and need to make a profit surely the costs charged are 'money for old rope' ! Yours Aye, Skimmer

How much would it cost you to hire a  luxury car for a week? Just punched in a fortnight with sixt for a Range Rover Sport for a laugh and it comes up with £1320. And I bet the proportion of annual time rented out is far higher for UK car hire than narrowboats.  With a flight you are one of hundreds renting a few hours use of an expensive means of transport in each direction. And it makes up a good proportion of the cost of a holiday. With a boat or flash car or luxury motorhome you are renting exclusive use of that means of transport for the duration of the holiday. With the boat or motorhome, it also serves as the accommodation.  With the flight, you need a tent or hotel. With the luxury car, the same.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jradley said:

Having recently booked a hire I started reading this thread from the top and didn't realise it was 13 years old until seeing the post about it being dug up. It's interersting because over those 13 years nothing much has changed in terms of the numbers. But of course £1k was worth more 13 years ago than it is now, meaning that canal holidays are effectively cheaper than they were back then. That said, so are package holidays and many other things, so canal holidays still seem disproportionately expensive, especially when comparing with the cost of say a 2 or 3 bedroom lodge with hot-tub in a park in Dorset or Devon for example (which would be little more than half the price of a 60ft narrowboat).

John

I will explain. I have a superb house booked for the second visit this year in november in Dorset ( No hot tub thank God ) first visit this year was in january , its already fully booked by the poor sods who have to use it in school holidays. Its a house, maintainance as we all know is peanuts and it doesnt sit in water rusting away, indeed property values have risen massively again since the inception of this thread. Similar boats over 13 years will have devalued. Houses rent out all year wheras boat hiring type dissapear into thin air when it gets a little damp, canals often become unuseable to traverse in january for instance iced in, so no income. Its simple economics.

• Greenie 1

Doesn't help matters that the value of the GBP has fallen so much (and likely to take another hit soon) that the market shifts towards tourists who see better value for money.  My last trip early this year was nearly 40% cheaper to us (amazingly roughly the same cost in GBP) to our trip back in 2006.  Yes - we always cruise off-season so get better deals but businesses will charge what the market will bear.  It's just that the market itself has probably changed.

Don't have any facts to back this up - just a thought

When people who haven't got a boat think it's money for old rope and you point out that the fleets struggle to make the maths work, they think they have all the answers. When someone tells me they could do it covertly, I suggest that the best outcome may be they break even, the worst they end up on a culpable manslaughter charge.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

the worst they end up on a culpable manslaughter charge.

Unlikely, as no such offence exists in this country. But I get your point.

Edited by Athy

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Unlikely, as no such offence exists in this country. But I get your point.

surely manslaughter would be the charge and sentencing based on culpability, ie: you were illegally renting out an unsuitable and uncertified boat?