Questionable Moorings

ali.h

Featured Posts

Hi

I have found a mooring alongside a woodland which adjoins some moorings, mostly leisure. The owner of the moorings does not know who owns the woods and he has been around over fifteen years. He has offered me access through his yard to the adjoining woodland. The question being would it be possible to stay their without any problems? Aim to be their for 9 months of the year if possible but not in one continous period. Any help would be appreciated

Ali

Hi

I have found a mooring alongside a woodland which adjoins some moorings, mostly leisure. The owner of the moorings does not know who owns the woods and he has been around over fifteen years. He has offered me access through his yard to the adjoining woodland. The question being would it be possible to stay their without any problems? Aim to be their for 9 months of the year if possible but not in one continous period. Any help would be appreciated

Ali

Is it on BW waters?

It is a simple matter to locate the owner of the woodland.

Go to the land registry website, pay the fee and you will receive details of the owner, of the land, and then you can discuss with them and BW the possibility of mooring there.

Good luck.

Yes its on BW waters on the Cauldon-many thanks for your replies. Their seems to be several casual moorings on the non towpath side up here that I have spotted over the years-the owners of the land don't seem to mind wethar their used as residential or leisure. At what stage would BW step in? Its pretty quiet up here with little traffic

Is it on the Kennet and Avon?

:lol:

Yes if it is on the K and A you can stop wherever you like for as long as you like and there is no need for either licence or mooring permit...oh and you can " Sign on " stay in bed and be whats called a continuous moorer, er sorry cruiser if you like :ninja:

Yes its on BW waters on the Cauldon-many thanks for your replies. Their seems to be several casual moorings on the non towpath side up here that I have spotted over the years-the owners of the land don't seem to mind wethar their used as residential or leisure. At what stage would BW step in? Its pretty quiet up here with little traffic

Having just been up the Caldon, I agree that there are "several" casual moorings on both sides of the canal - and they make navigation "interesting". The canal at times is narrow and twisty and wending your way round bends with boats moored on one side and overhanging trees on the other keeps you on your toes.

Oh, and you can wind a 58 foot boat at the end of the Leek branch despite the notice implying that 45 feet is the limit :-)

Haggis

Edited by haggis

They will want end of garden mooring fee if they allow you to moor there. It may be private land but its still BW controlled water the boat is sitting in.

Who is the best BW person to contact regarding the issue? Is it the regional office?

Until you find the owner, there is no point.

BW will not grant you a mooring permit unless they are satisfied that the owner has given permission.

Thank you for the info-will get down the land registry and start chatting to BW. Casp'-thanks for your help will try and locate the owner though from local knowledge their has been no sign of him for over fifteen years. He brought the local factory asset stripped it and closed it down-not too popular if he sets foot in these parts.

Thank you for the info-will get down the land registry and start chatting to BW. Casp'-thanks for your help will try and locate the owner though from local knowledge their has been no sign of him for over fifteen years. He brought the local factory asset stripped it and closed it down-not too popular if he sets foot in these parts.

That may well be the case, but it still doesn't mean that BW are about to start giving you a permit to moor on his land.

There used to be loads of boats up there which weren't displaying valid licences or mooring permits. But BW seem to have done a purge in recent times.