ex Leonard Leigh tug 'Swallow'

hecla777

Featured Posts

Has anyone seen this boat recently? I would be interested to learn of its whereabouts!

Many thanks

Martin O'Keeffe

Hi Martin,

When I enquired some years ago I was told it had been broken up - I think on the River Wey. I'm not sure who told me this but it is likely to have been Malcolm Braine or Lawrence Hogg.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

The last trace I have for JOAN II was when it was for sale in December 1988, with a price reduction if the engine was not included. JOAN II's engine was running in another 'historic' narrow boat by 1995.

So missing presumed dead.

So where's Swallow?

Paul

• 9 years later...
1 hour ago, martinjeffes said:

In case anyone is still interested in the Leonard Leigh boat 'Swallow', here's a photo of her taken in the early 1960's,

when her then owner, the daughter of said Mr Leigh, used to let us boys crew her. She was kept then at Braunston.

27605374_1974846279196984_656198910_o(1).jpg

A lovely picture indeed. 

Any family connection to the Penguin Café Orchestra ?

Much earlier in this post was reference to Joan II. Just before it was broken up on the River Wey some 25 years ago, I took a lot of photos of the hull and subsequently rescued the rudder, Z iron, studs and blade. It had an interesting weed hatch made in steel, double walled to create a 'skin' cooling tank!