Honda Eu20i

Orca

Featured Posts

I've seen a good second hand Eu20i generator for sale locally for £500 and was thinking about buying it for those towpath times. Trouble is; I'm a litttle worried about theft - who isn't - and would appreciate views of those who have one and their stowage/security proclivities. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Orca
  • Greenie 1

We've got one - very good and the 5 year warranty justified the cost for us.

It is a very shiny piece of kit though so I keep it locked up out of sight most of the time. Don't seem to use it much these days as main engine covers most needs, but when in use or left on deck it's attached to the boat with a long (appr 6ft) bike lock, underneath an ugly green cover (not the 'official' grey one with HONDA GENERATORS written on it!).

that's not a bad price BTW - how old is it?

It's four years old (2006) and has apparently according to the ad had moderate, though light use for camping and barbecues etc. It seems a good price as these are over a grand brand new are they not??

Edited by Orca

I've seen a good second hand Eu20i generator for sale locally for £500 and was thinking about buying it for those towpath times. Trouble is; I'm a litttle worried about theft - who isn't - and would appreciate views of those who have one and their stowage/security proclivities. Thank you in advance!

Snap it up before someone else does - we have had ours for three years and use it for about 12 hours a week. It is brilliant!

When in use we sometimes chain it to a mooring ring and we keep it inside the boat when not in use - it has a air valve on the fuel cap that can be closed so that petrol vapour cannot escape when it is stored.

Snap it up before someone else does - we have had ours for three years and use it for about 12 hours a week. It is brilliant!

When in use we sometimes chain it to a mooring ring and we keep it inside the boat when not in use - it has a air valve on the fuel cap that can be closed so that petrol vapour cannot escape when it is stored.

Just phoned the seller and it sold yesterday afternoon! I only saw the ad last night and it had a 'don't phone after 7pm' request. :banghead::angry:

It's four years old (2006) and has apparently according to the ad had moderate, though light use for camping and barbecues etc. It seems a good price as these are over a grand brand new are they not??

We paid about £900 last year (think it was on offer at Edge Technology) but after a quick google search looks like they may have gone back up again. If I were looking again I think I'd spend the extra for a new/nearly new one - it's painful when you see other brands 1/3 of the price but for me the 5 year warranty wins every time!

• 2 weeks later...

We paid about £900 last year (think it was on offer at Edge Technology) but after a quick google search looks like they may have gone back up again. If I were looking again I think I'd spend the extra for a new/nearly new one - it's painful when you see other brands 1/3 of the price but for me the 5 year warranty wins every time!

Got one off Ebay; with only around 40 hours use on the clock - £500 collected! Bargain; but God, they do seem a liability - lovely piece of machinery; but one can see the appeal to thieves. Shame no security bracket either (steel eye for chaining too!). The plastic handle is tough and durable, but I would prefer something steel to secure too. I will also be inscribing name, postcode and telephone number using a soldering iron into it (when the petrol tank is empty of course!) :lol:

Got one off Ebay; with only around 40 hours use on the clock - £500 collected! Bargain; but God, they do seem a liability - lovely piece of machinery; but one can see the appeal to thieves. Shame no security bracket either (steel eye for chaining too!). The plastic handle is tough and durable, but I would prefer something steel to secure too. I will also be inscribing name, postcode and telephone number using a soldering iron into it (when the petrol tank is empty of course!) :lol:

Got a 'Brand new' HONDA ex 650 here @ £350, reckoned to be the best generator Honda made.

EX650 is the best one theyve ever made!!! :cheers:

EU range are far too noisy :angry:

I use the 20i, cost me 1,000. I tend to lock it using an alarmed cable, but to be honest we lock it away at night in the boat http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=10869 We also use this if needed as security in case of being untied (happened only once so far - Banbury)

I use the 20i, cost me 1,000. I tend to lock it using an alarmed cable, but to be honest we lock it away at night in the boat http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=10869 We also use this if needed as security in case of being untied (happened only once so far - Banbury)

Mine is chained below decks; though is out of use pending suitability. Good link re the chain - might get one, thanks!! Though, have to say, I wouldn't put it past some people to hacksaw through the toughened plastic handle and take off with it that way.. :angry:<_<

Our Honda-engined frame gennie, is chained, currently, to the deck support channels, using a £40 cobalt chain and theoretically drill-proof shutter lock. Possibly the actualy gennie frame is the weak point here! Mind you, if anyone did unfasten it, they won't be running away, it'll be a slow stagger, unless there's at least two of 'em. I can't carry the thing for more than the boat length without huffing and puffing. :)

PC

Our Honda-engined frame gennie, is chained, currently, to the deck support channels, using a £40 cobalt chain and theoretically drill-proof shutter lock. Possibly the actualy gennie frame is the weak point here! Mind you, if anyone did unfasten it, they won't be running away, it'll be a slow stagger, unless there's at least two of 'em. I can't carry the thing for more than the boat length without huffing and puffing. :)

PC

Strange but true...

Someone locally had their EU20 nicked the other week.

It was running on their cruiser stern (yes, I know!) and the thief came up, picked it up and cycled off with it under his arm, whilst the genny was still running!

The owner apparently gave chase, but couldn't keep up with thief on bike.

Arguably, your frame genny is more secure, being a good deal heavier!

I would seriously think twice about buying a 2nd hand Honda EU20i.

For one thing, it's not so much a case of "it's only 3 years old" as "how many hours has it run for?", and that's something that is very difficult to prove. It could have been on for 8 hours a day 5 days a week for all anyone knows.

Also, because it is such a good generator (Honda are arguably the best motor engineers on the planet)there are a lot of far east fakes out there so buyer beware.

If you have one, also make sure your insurance company is aware of its existance just to be doubly sure. Don't give them any wriggle room as they may wince at having to pay out over a grand for a replacement and look for reasons not to - esp in the current economic climate.

They are great pieces of kit. Smooth, quiet (anyone who says they're not quiet must have sonar for hearing), economical and discreet and with proven Honda reliability. But because of their size they are very theft attractive. Chain them or lose them, and not the sort of chain that can be snapped with a pair of tin snips. Go for something that will need at least a 3ft long pair of bolt croppers to get through. If thieves are going to try to take it, make them sweat bullets for it.

Scratch your name and postcode on the side. Thieves hate that. It may not look very attractive but they are work horses after all, not beautiful artifacts, and far better for it to look defaced than for a thief to take it because there is absolutely nothing to say it's yours. Think about it....

Chris