Living opposite a jet engine heater

Guest User

Featured Posts

Unbelievable.

"the quietness magnifies the volume of the water"

Yeah, being founded on such a sound scientific basis that's going to stand up in court.

There is a lot of water going over the gates at Muirtown though. This is Neptune's staircase at Banavie, but Muirtown is much the same

069.jpg

That happens all the way down the staircase.

Of course, it's been doing it for over 100 years so you'd have thought they would have got used to it by now, what with double glazing and all

Richard

Of course, it's been doing it for over 100 years so you'd have thought they would have got used to it by now, what with double glazing and all

Richard

Which reminds me of a little known fact, that Dr Livingstone when he discovered Victoria Falls was not pioneerinfg through Africa, but was in fact off to find out where that "bloody awful racket" was coming from.

"the quietness magnifies the volume of the water"

Surely "volume" means quantity (as in gallons) ? ... so if we all hush up and tip-toe around the L&L will never be short of water again ?

Edited: in attempt to remove inane banter - but failed

Edited by Graham!

If its been going on for 100 years go tell the residents to take a hike. They bought their house Knowing full well what the noise levels were. Why suddenly do they have the right to demand changes. They will be banging in huge insurance claims next...."your noise made me prematurely deaf", "your overflow gave me imsonia and I lost my job", "Your running water turned me into a bed wetter". It will definately be insurance next if its not happened allready.

I know who's goint to win..."Its affecting the residents quality of life". Bullshit

Edit:- Its not been going on for 100years has it...ooh dear

If its only 5 or so years and BW are only doing it to make it easy to fish drunken arseholes out in the morning...then residents win easily.

So residents win whichever scenario..BW get on with it, dont waste cash fighting it.

Edited by Evo

If its been going on for 100 years go tell the residents to take a hike. They bought their house Knowing full well what the noise levels were. Why suddenly do they have the right to demand changes...

In a village not far from us a bungalow was sold right next door to the village church. New residents were in less than a month before they complained to the council about the noise from the church bells.

So the council told them to get lost, right? Wrong. They gave the church strict instructions on when the bells may be sounded and for how long.

The country's gone bloody mad.

Tony

In a village not far from us a bungalow was sold right next door to the village church. New residents were in less than a month before they complained to the council about the noise from the church bells.

So the council told them to get lost, right? Wrong. They gave the church strict instructions on when the bells may be sounded and for how long.

The country's gone bloody mad.

Tony

just pray that you don't get a juma mosque built next door. you'll have to be more tolerant of the islamic prayer call.

.......... and during Ramadan in Turkey they go round the streets banging drums at 4a.m. to wake everyone up so they can eat the morning meal before the fasting period starts. now that is nice. :rolleyes:

If its been going on for 100 years go tell the residents to take a hike. They bought their house Knowing full well what the noise levels were. Why suddenly do they have the right to demand changes. They will be banging in huge insurance claims next...."your noise made me prematurely deaf", "your overflow gave me imsonia and I lost my job", "Your running water turned me into a bed wetter". It will definately be insurance next if its not happened allready.

I know who's goint to win..."Its affecting the residents quality of life". Bullshit

Edit:- Its not been going on for 100years has it...ooh dear

If its only 5 or so years and BW are only doing it to make it easy to fish drunken arseholes out in the morning...then residents win easily.

So residents win whichever scenario..BW get on with it, dont waste cash fighting it.

The article says the complaining has been going on for five years. As there are no byewashes the cascading over the gates has presumably always happened

Richard

Coming back on topic...........

I recall seeing a NB Moored on the Southern GU on our trip back from the Thames recently with a Car Silencer connected to a length of pipe stick in the exhaust port !

Not Pretty but sure was quiet - Maybe his neighbours were of the Potato wielding fraternity :P

Edited by benfordboy

Until this autumn I've been blessed with living on an exceptionally quiet mooring, no traffic, no pedestrians, nothing ! ... but not any more ... a new arrival opposite is fitted with one of those "woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" jet engine heater thingies .... and with the way sound propagates across water I can hear it constantly, it appears to be on a timer because it's on every evening now, even when the owner is absent. Until now I've had beautifully quiet evenings, which makes it all the harder to live with this intrusive noise, and just about everyone else round about (myself included) has solid fuel heating ... so my request is for advice on how to look on this positively rather than let it nag ... any ideas welcome ?

Try a acoustic mirror and aim it at his bedroom window at 4am. He soon get the message, when he jumps out

of his hatch demanding who's woke him and find that it was himself.

Firesprite

In the office

Wotever.....That wouldn't of been the Rectory Close, Allesley Village, Church bell fiasco would it. Move into a lovely picture postcard close and 2 months later start moaning about noise.

Is there such a thing as an accoustic mirror...??? hehe if there is I want one.

I have seen piccies of the flight with no water flooding over, but maybe they were in use at the time.

Like I say though, I dont think it will matter ultimately....Brussels will decide that the residents quality of life is not what it could be and therefor the canal should be filled in..!!!

• Greenie 1

The article says the complaining has been going on for five years. As there are no byewashes the cascading over the gates has presumably always happened

Richard

It hasn't always been like this. BW used to keep half a paddle open at each end of every lock (The Caledonian is not exactly short of water) which meant the locks were always half full. This technique also saved them "setting" the staircase, they just used each lock in turn and the constant flow of water means they never had too much or too little.

However, Neptunes Staircase and several other Caledonian lock flights (Fort Augustus for example) are effectively in public open space, and yes, drunks do fall in them, so BW decided to keep them full. They do this by having the paddles on the top gates fully open, and one paddle on the next gate slightly open, and then it weirs down the flight

Heaven help that some idiot who likes a good moan forces the locks to be fenced off...

does anyone have experience of gas warm air heaters (e.g. Propex)?

alternatively what about a gas catalytic heater used in conjunction with a fan to achieve air circulation? Not quite clear about the BSS implications, but could make sense for occasional users as opposed to live-aboards.

I fitted a Propex to my last boat, as a sort of back up heater, had no problems fitting it and at the same time I had my BSC done and was complemented on my fitting. Not a bad bit of kit though I did have one or two issues on the mechanics of the thing but the model I fitted was in fact one of the first of a new range and Propex where very good in either free advice or replacement parts which I fitted myself. All in all I was quite happy with the unit.

I fitted a Propex to my last boat, as a sort of back up heater, had no problems fitting it and at the same time I had my BSC done and was complemented on my fitting. Not a bad bit of kit though I did have one or two issues on the mechanics of the thing but the model I fitted was in fact one of the first of a new range and Propex where very good in either free advice or replacement parts which I fitted myself. All in all I was quite happy with the unit.

thanks, Phil.

Seeing how well my potato suggestion went, I shall watch further developments here with great interest

Well it may assist members wishing to follow this advice that explosives can be obtained by making friends with the blaster at a quarry. Potatoes are available in Tesco, but rarely will you find nitro.

Tony

I have a Eberspacher which I use solely to heat my hot water - about 25 minutes a day maximum.....and it's not that loud.

I have set it on the timer to work at peak sunshine hours ie mid day, letting the solar panel do the work instead of the batteries. I haven't used the central heating for the last two winters.

Depending on what make of heater, these forced air contraptions can be unbearably noisey. Moreover, if the boat owner neglects to service his heater, small orifices that precede the combustion chamber, progressively become clogged with

soot. Owing to the constant flow of air from the fan, as the holes become smaller the velocity of the air increases through them, causing an increase in exhaust noise similar to a jet engine.

You may well politely suggest to the boat owner, that you're an expert on these diesel noise polluters and it's time that he had his serviced!

P.S. The minimum recommended run time for these little devils is one hour. Lesser periods do not allow the units to run at optimum working temperatures and are inclined to shorten service intervals.

As a first year trainee counsellor and psychotherapist

it's not the noise disturbing your accustomed peace and quiet that is the problem but your reaction to it - one of the basic principles of Cognitive Therapy...or is it Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy.....or is it both?.......- anyway the solution is to change the way you think about it - in other words...............

Get used to it

Does that principle work with women?

Rapidly runs for the door!

Edited by Doorman

Is there such a thing as an accoustic mirror...??? hehe if there is I want one.

Actual accoustic mirrors formed part of Britain's early aircraft warning system before

radar. They could detect aircraft at over 20 miles range. The mirror is a parabolic bowl, the

best examples can be found at Dungeness. You could try using a wok as a mirror.

Firesprite

In the office

Actual accoustic mirrors formed part of Britain's early aircraft warning system before

radar. They could detect aircraft at over 20 miles range. The mirror is a parabolic bowl, the

best examples can be found at Dungeness. You could try using a wok as a mirror.

Firesprite

In the office

.. and still there ... http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=dungeness+sound+mirrors&ie=UTF8&hq=dungeness+sound+mirrors&hnear=&radius=15000&t=h&ll=50.9562,0.953482&spn=0.00197,0.005659&z=18&iwloc=A ... a bit big though. Still, I'll place the order for the concrete just as soon as the dynamite arrives (amazing what you can buy on Explosion-bay) - going to give that a go first.

Be careful - a smaller potato might just become a projectile......

I seem to remember they used a number of bananas in a film as the sticky mess glued itself on in the heat causing the engine to cut off or blow up.

Edited by Tiny

I see Kilroy or one of his offspring has been there.

Tony

Note that a parabolic acoustic 'mirror' of that type is for receiving sound, not reflecting it back. Although if you were to put a microphone at its focal point and couple that to a suitably powerful amplifier driving a couple of directional horns, it might achieve the desired effect.

I must admit I am always conscious when I'm out, where and at what time I switch mine on. It makes a truly dreadful sound - like a helicopter turbine starting - and it's not difficult to see how easily it would piss people off!! Where I am currently moored I would certainly not use it, as I am only a very temporary visitor and there are permanent moorings opposite. Also, the price of the bloody parts for these things (10kw Webasto) is daylight robbery to say the least. I recently changed my burner tube, burner cartridge, flame sensor and glow pin.......grand total £570 retail, though thankfully the nice Webasto Dealer who sold it me did it trade (still a bloody lot though!!)

Edited by Orca

I must admit I am always conscious when I'm out, where and at what time I switch mine on. It makes a truly dreadful sound - like a helicopter turbine starting - and it's not difficult to see how easily it would piss people off!! Where I am currently moored I would certainly not use it, as I am only a very temporary visitor and there are permanent moorings opposite. Also, the price of the bloody parts for these things (10kw Webasto) is daylight robbery to say the least. I recently changed my burner tube, burner cartridge, flame sensor and glow pin.......grand total £570 retail, though thankfully the nice Webasto Dealer who sold it me did it trade (still a bloody lot though!!)

Blimey, 10Kw Webasto. Is your boat named 'The Royal Iris', How big is it?

We have a 60'narrow boat with a 4Kw Mikuni heater, which more than copes with the workload!