floor paint for painting boat roof.

madcat

Featured Posts

Who has used floor paint on their boat roof and what sort did you use,was it successful ? I have been told floorpaint isnt a good idea but surely there must be a need to paint outside steel walkways and stair treads with suitable paint.I do not want to use Raddle red ,Im currently sanding the remains of that off and if I wasnt sick of the sight of it before Iam heartily fed up of it now in light red dust form!!!! Previous coats of anonymous red oxide in a fairly glossy finish were much more durable as was half a tin of medium grey stuff from I cant remember where.The grey was a bit dull and not likely to be repeated.

suggestions and experience please , cheers madcat

Im currently doing a bit of essential work on the boat and hoping to make it look a bit smarter and brighter.

Edited by madcat

Who has used floor paint on their boat roof and what sort did you use,was it successful ?

Yes and no

I used Dacthane last time and it flaked off

Previously used Wickes own and it stayed on

This time not bothering with floor paint on the roof

Who has used floor paint on their boat roof and what sort did you use,was it successful ? I have been told floorpaint isnt a good idea but surely there must be a need to paint outside steel walkways and stair treads with suitable paint.I do not want to use Raddle red ,Im currently sanding the remains of that off and if I wasnt sick of the sight of it before Iam heartily fed up of it now in light red dust form!!!! Previous coats of anonymous red oxide in a fairly glossy finish were much more durable as was half a tin of medium grey stuff from I cant remember where.The grey was a bit dull and not likely to be repeated.

Im currently doing a bit of essential work on the boat and hoping to make it look a bit smarter and brighter.

I put on a similar post a while back and I had a few suggestions some of which included garage floor paint, I have yet to try it yet.

Phil

I've used garage floor paint in the front cockpit, and following advice painted over with a coat of ordinary boat paint first. The few panels I didn't use the boat paint on are inclined to flake off but the rest is fine.

Richard

looking at one leaflet [crown] it seems that all their floor paint is for interior floors.So what is used for fishing boat decks ,what is used on sea going ships or harbour tugs ? I cant see raddle red at "HOW MUCH" per litre being the paint of choice for a bulk carrier or massive oil tanker.Its no good asking Boris as a lot of their paints were mixed on board,mostly by the bosun who had his own recipes for various purposes and they contained shed loads of lead. Some of the paint was bought in from Leyland paints.Looks like Iam goimg to be phoning a few local industrial paint suppliers and see what they can do.I can easily used 5litres maybe 10 as I can use the same stuff to paint inside the hold but not a 25 litre drum,that would be way too much.Remember Im buying this paint to walk on and for hard use not just to look pretty [or not depending on how you feel about the usual stuff]Next stop Leyland paint I think,if it was good enough for Harrisons then perhaps it will do for me.Will report back when I have made my choice

I've used Leylands floor paint on the roof of our boats. It looks OK initially but soon scuffs with foot fall, Buckby cans and the 'ellum being dragged over it. Plan B will be try Red Oxide gloss with antislip gritted panels at appropriate places.

In the bar we use a floor paint in the toilets from B&Q which comes in a few colours including a rich chocolate brown. (Ideal for the loos :) ) It wears surprisingly well given the footfall it gets on it.

Yes, I've used the Leyland/Johnstone 'red oxide' (actually zinc phosphate). I can't personally vouch for its durability yet but it was highly recommended to me by someone with a lot of experience. What I can say it its reasonably priced (about £30/gallon), quick drying and very easy and pleasant to use - and it comes in ordinary and gloss finishes. I even like the colour better than Craftmaster raddle (slightly darker).

• Greenie 1

Yes, I've used the Leyland/Johnstone 'red oxide' (actually zinc phosphate). I can't personally vouch for its durability yet but it was highly recommended to me by someone with a lot of experience. What I can say it its reasonably priced (about £30/gallon), quick drying and very easy and pleasant to use - and it comes in ordinary and gloss finishes. I even like the colour better than Craftmaster raddle (slightly darker).

This is interesting, I understood traditional red oxide was primer designed to be overpainted, and its does not wear well for walking one etc; does the gloss version wear ok like any other gloss paint?

I am looking for a roof paint and decks myself and like the red oxide colour but there is not a direct RAL equivalent in enamel except for Oxide Red which is acceptable but not the same colour as red oxide

Charles

This is interesting, I understood traditional red oxide was primer designed to be overpainted, and its does not wear well for walking one etc; does the gloss version wear ok like any other gloss paint?

I am looking for a roof paint and decks myself and like the red oxide colour but there is not a direct RAL equivalent in enamel except for Oxide Red which is acceptable but not the same colour as red oxide

Charles

My understanding is that the Johnstones product, although it can be applied to bare metal and used as a primer, is also approved for use as a topcoat. Obviously you need more than one coat (at least three I should think and more where it will be walked on a lot). Then even the matt version should be fine for walking on and has fairly good non slip qualities when allied with decent footwear.

WARNING: there seems to be confusion between 2 different products.

My post of 6 10 at 8-43 referred to red oxide paint and the subsequent edit on 7 10 at 1-30 was to point out that this was not red oxide primer.

The (zinc phosphate) primer which is available in red oxide colour (plus grey and white) is a primer designed to grip the surface but, as it is more porous, not used as a top coat.

This is the primer.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Quick_Dry_Zinc_Phosphate_Primer

The red oxide PAINT is designed as a non porous top coat.

This is the paint.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Red_Oxide_Paint

I have verified the statement above with Technical Department at Johnstones

Edited by andywatson

WARNING: there seems to be confusion between 2 different products.

My post of 6 10 at 8-43 referred to red oxide paint and the subsequent edit on 7 10 at 1-30 was to point out that this was not red oxide primer.

The (zinc phosphate) primer which is available in red oxide colour (plus grey and white) is a primer designed to grip the surface but, as it is more porous, not used as a top coat.

This is the primer.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Quick_Dry_Zinc_Phosphate_Primer

The red oxide PAINT is designed as a non porous top coat.

This as the paint.

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/product-range/product.aspx?product=Red_Oxide_Paint

Hmmm, well, I've not got the tin here but it was definitely zinc phosphate (and satisfyingly heavy) and I'm pretty sure also top coat suitable. It's not porous. Anyway, just go to Leylands and read the tins.

I,ve been using Ronseal grey floor paint on the inside of my cockpit and on the the interior floor. Two coats gives a pretty hard wearing finish, it goes on easily and dries in about half an hour. Definitely going to use it on my roof, it weathers well. Its water based too so quick touching up is no problem.

Me thinks my little puddy paws will be carrying me to the local Leyland paint place in search of paint for the roof as recommended by Andy,Sounds like a good choice and a bright oxide red will go nice with the greens I have chosen.Wish me luck on the weather and also include all other folks needing good weather to work on their boats.Will report back when I get putting roller n brush to primed steel

Me thinks my little puddy paws will be carrying me to the local Leyland paint place in search of paint for the roof as recommended by Andy,Sounds like a good choice and a bright oxide red will go nice with the greens I have chosen.Wish me luck on the weather and also include all other folks needing good weather to work on their boats.Will report back when I get putting roller n brush to primed steel

How does a cat hold a roller and brush? Come to think of it, can most cats be arsed to paint a boat?