Overtaking

davel

Featured Posts

From observation, the shorter the craft the higher the turbulence.Thus a kayak can cause more turbulence than a passing narrowboat.

There is a formula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake

Tone

Where were you last time this came up? That's just the sort of stuff that was needed to keep the discussion going

Richard

WOW - what an amazing discussion.

I'm not a hugely experienced skipper, but managed a week with a 70' boat last Easter without either hitting anything or being shouted at. We made good progress up the K&A and back, but did it by dint of efficient handling of locks and swing bridges rather than cruising speed. Not so difficult when your crew numbers 7 enthusiastic people and two bicycles. Much of the time we motored along at only a little over tickover (probably 3mph?) largely because I had some hope of keeping the boat going where I wanted at that speed.

There was only one occasion when we were followed for any distance - the boat behind was clearly travelling quicker than us until he caught up, but then maintained our speed at a distance of 2-3 boat lengths behind. This is the problem that was outlined at the start of the thread, and I'm still not sure anyone's answered it. Did that boat want to overtake? It certainly crossed my mind he might want to, and I looked for some sort of indication from him - but he gave none that I could see.

I sincerely hope that if any of you find yourselves behind me next Easter on the Warwickshire Ring (I shall once again be on a 70' hired boat with a big crew) you find a way of letting me know what you want before you decide to ram my stern or wave your anchor around my ears.

WOW - what an amazing discussion.

I'm not a hugely experienced skipper, but managed a week with a 70' boat last Easter without either hitting anything or being shouted at. We made good progress up the K&A and back, but did it by dint of efficient handling of locks and swing bridges rather than cruising speed. Not so difficult when your crew numbers 7 enthusiastic people and two bicycles. Much of the time we motored along at only a little over tickover (probably 3mph?) largely because I had some hope of keeping the boat going where I wanted at that speed.

There was only one occasion when we were followed for any distance - the boat behind was clearly travelling quicker than us until he caught up, but then maintained our speed at a distance of 2-3 boat lengths behind. This is the problem that was outlined at the start of the thread, and I'm still not sure anyone's answered it. Did that boat want to overtake? It certainly crossed my mind he might want to, and I looked for some sort of indication from him - but he gave none that I could see.

I sincerely hope that if any of you find yourselves behind me next Easter on the Warwickshire Ring (I shall once again be on a 70' hired boat with a big crew) you find a way of letting me know what you want before you decide to ram my stern or wave your anchor around my ears.

I reckon the fact that he stayed 2-3 boat lengths behind meant he wasn't bothered.

If you had slowed and waved him on, left side of course, he might have.

Tone

The etiquette of not overtaking. We were coming up the Severn against a strong current last month getting towards Diglis Lock, when I spotted a narrowboat in the distance behind me. Next time I looked back it was quite a bit closer, really motoring but still some way off. I judged that it would easily overtake us before Diglis so I started to keep on the right side of the river rather than shaving the bends a bit as I had been doing. Next time I looked the boat had not closed any more and it kept station a good distance behind until we reached the lock and we both ended up hovering, waitng for the gates. In the end the lock keeper wanted the other boat in first anyway because she was longer and he wanted us alongside one another.

It was a lone woman in a very nice boat and I was impressed with the way she managed everything, including not being in too much of a hurry. I have forgotten the name of the boat; anyone recognise her?

P1010175.jpg

Woo hoo - 9 pages!! Dave's had to go and lie down - the man with only 69 posts to his name, whose threads usually fade and die very quickly, has started a 9 pager!!

My life is now complete (and I've still got to get up for the working party at 10am an am trying to studiously ignore that fact!!!) :cheers:

hic

Ferk me, a "69" poster started this thread ...

In which case let me take my post back... My new post follows below

It's obviously all the OP's fault. He's obviously a Canaltime hirer :-P

:lol::cheers:

Not with them turret planes it ain't. And where is the 88mm?

And I think it is more like "ALAAAAARM"

:lol:

:cheers:

I didnt want to shout it too loud in case I woke anyone at that time of night

I suppose it could loosly resemble a Type XVII walter boat if you squinted

Edited by saltysplash

Just for the uninitiated, watch and enjoy then go out and buy the full length version

"

A very well made film - and probably not the easiest of subjects. There is some footage on YouTube that shows how some of the scenes were filmed - the models are excellent.

Edited by NB Alnwick

Cruising today from Carnforth to Garstang, well only made it to Galate because we came up behind a narrowboat just South of Lancaster which was going incredibly slow.

I was quite content to stay behind him at first because it was fairly bendy for a while and if I'm being followed by somebody who is obviously faster than me I prefer to let them past on a good straight.

But they didn't. They knew I was there as they regularly looked round to check in fact the last couple of miles seemed to be some one looking our way nearly all the time especially the chap who appeared to be taking lots of photos of us.

I don't like to beep my hooter or wave or crowd them to harass them into letting them past, but am I expecting to much from them thinking that they should wave me past at an appropriate place?

I was only just going over tickover and had to coast some of the time when he was going past moored boats and approaching blind bridges.

I kept a respectful two boat lengths behind them most of the time and never less than one boat length.

Was I being impatient or was he being inconsiderate?

go like the clappers, and hope, for health and safety sake that you make it past my bow b4 ya get to the bridge . . . . . lol