why do ducks peck at the hull ?

KeithL

Featured Posts

Listen too for one of them tells a joke - a sort of low quack-quack-quackitty-quackwakwakwak* noise.

Then all the others laugh: QUAACK QUAAAAKK QUAACK QUAAK QUAAAAK.

*Possible translation: 'Go peck on the side of the boat - it scares the crap out of them'.

Now, did you know, and this is quite true, It's only female ducks that make loud noises?

Richard

Talking about ducks saw this at Bradford on Avon this week I think it is a North American "Wood Duck" but not sure

DSC02503%20copy.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1286091850260

DSC02515%20copy.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1286091931294

Here is a bit about Carolina Ducks in our local paper this week

http://www.westsussextoday.co.uk/lifestyle/columnists/the_prettiest_duck_of_them_all_1_1367802

Sorry - I can't do the linky thing since the New Look CWF.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the dreaded Canada Geese yet. These ariel barrackers fly into our marina late in the evening, making the usual 'prepare for landing' racket. Then, at first light, when clearance for take off has been agreed amongst them, they all bugger off only to repeat the cycle again later that day!

I've even resorted to dressing my lady up as an owl and perching her on the tiller to scare the sods off! :angry:

Now, did you know, and this is quite true, It's only female ducks that make loud noises?

Richard

Same as humans then!

Get the body armour ready :help:

This is the first completely new boating subject raised in the past several months. Thank you.

What about; Pump outs vs Porta Potties

Accelerates towards the door! :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

Guest wanted

OK, I have learnt something today then :) However I remember a guy telling me that swans look at themselves and neglect their young, I think I equated that to feeding, perhaps he meant protecting, he was also the guy covering the pump out machine, maybe he was one of the many 'colourful' characters we have in Brentford!

Hello I think it's a Mandarin duck. There used to be one for a couple of years at a campsite in Hunstanton. It got on well with the others.

Bugger. I think Athy's right.

There is the answer - Mandarin Duck = Duck with Orange Sauce.

A nice little shotgun will cure the problem. Oh how I love duck, especially with pancakes, spring onions, cucumber and Hoisin Sauce. Yums

• Greenie 1

scary moment,mooredin the darkest of dark in the middle of knowhere and thud,something hits the side of the boat by my head.What relief to hear splashing n quacking,a duck had bumped into the boat.Cant imagine it would survive for long if it didnt notice a 70ft boat!

Have had a passenger,a female mallard flew aboard to escape a mob of drakes and sat on the topplanks for ages before flying off into the fields.

Used to see ducks on the house roofs round here,somewhat surreal.

Once had to get a passing cyclist to help me lift up a grid in the road to rescue some ducklings.

Thats all the duck stories I can think of.

scary moment,mooredin the darkest of dark in the middle of knowhere and thud,something hits the side of the boat by my head.What relief to hear splashing n quacking,a duck had bumped into the boat.Cant imagine it would survive for long if it didnt notice a 70ft boat!

Have had a passenger,a female mallard flew aboard to escape a mob of drakes and sat on the topplanks for ages before flying off into the fields.

Used to see ducks on the house roofs round here,somewhat surreal.

Once had to get a passing cyclist to help me lift up a grid in the road to rescue some ducklings.

Thats all the duck stories I can think of.

We were told, that during the duckling season in Tamworth, a Heron stands just under the bridge that enters Glascote basin.

Whenever a proud mother duck paddles into the basin with her chicks faithfully behind her, the Heron waits until the last chick is passing, then swoops down and feasts on the poor little thing. A case of the 'last in first out' basis I think!

<snip>

A nice little shotgun will cure the problem.

<snip>

But not at the range that those pictures were taken. You'll end up with a brief feathery hole in the water and that's all

Air rifle would be a better choice...

Richard

We were once sat at the front of our boat having a sandwich for lunch. We'd been cleaning so there was a bucket of water on top of the gas locker right next to us.

I was watching a duck trying to escape the attentions of several drakes. she took off and flew towards us. I'm not sure who was most surprised, me, the duck, or Richard who hadn't seen her coming when she landed in the bucket next to us :P

She didn't stay long but at least the drakes didn't follow her in.

Sue

Edited by Mrs Tawny Owl

DSC01981.jpg

Mick

What a brilliant photograph! :)

Visiting a friends boat a few years back I found him asleep with the radio on test cricket commentary. Apparently he had been kept awake all night by the birds pecking the hull. His wife said he was now "Out for a Duck":rolleyes:

:lol:

Cricket has a soporific effect on me too!