BMC Main bearing caps

Featured Posts

Has anyone removed the main bearing caps on the BMC 1.5. I've got the one off at the pulley end, but the manual says to use a service tool. Looking at the drawing of it, I cant see how it's supposed to work, and the caps are fitted so tightly I've not been able to get enough grip on the other two to get them off. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Has anyone removed the main bearing caps on the BMC 1.5. I've got the one off at the pulley end, but the manual says to use a service tool. Looking at the drawing of it, I cant see how it's supposed to work, and the caps are fitted so tightly I've not been able to get enough grip on the other two to get them off. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

There are quite tight, but last time I stripped one down, they came off fairly easily. A soft faced mallet may help to loosen them and provided the crankshaft is free you should be able to ease them off!

There are quite tight, but last time I stripped one down, they came off fairly easily. A soft faced mallet may help to loosen them and provided the crankshaft is free you should be able to ease them off!

Thanks Robin, I got the pulley end cap off by gently tapping on the ledge of the bearing cap with a drift, it was slow but came off, but it was very very tight. I couldn't get any purchase at the other end as the drive wheel gets in the way and the crankcase casting doesn't offer a suitable ledge to try the same trick. Once the other end's off, it should be easier to ease the centre one away.

I've never stripped a BMC, so this could be completely impractical, but could you support both ends of the crakshaft a few mm off the bench top and then strike the crank case?

Tony

I was going to suggest tapping the crankshaft gently upwards, but goodness only knows what floodgates that would open.

If the flywheel is in the way, take it off.

Richard

I was going to suggest tapping the crankshaft gently upwards...

So was I. Then I imagined Evo some member jumping in and berating me for suggesting subjecting crank and bearing to unnatural angular forces ;)

Tony

I suppose you could grasp the cap with a large pair of Stilsons...

I was going to suggest tapping the crankshaft gently upwards, but goodness only knows what floodgates that would open.

If the flywheel is in the way, take it off.

Richard

Thanks Richard and thanks to all for your replies. I have fathomed it out. The central hole on the bearing cap which I thought was an oilway is in fact a threaded recess, into which is screwed an adaptor or other suitably threaded device which is then attached to a slide hammer and then removed in the conventional way.

So was I. Then I imagined Evo some member jumping in and berating me for suggesting subjecting crank and bearing to unnatural angular forces ;)

Tony

I suppose you could grasp the cap with a large pair of Stilsons...

:P

At least no one suggested wacking the end of the crank with a lump hammer, or leverering it out with a scaffold pole under one of the webs.

Someone tell him where the online manual is I cant remember. Its a PDF I think on calcutt site.

Glad to see your all trembling in your boots... :lol:

Thanks Richard and thanks to all for your replies. I have fathomed it out. The central hole on the bearing cap which I thought was an oilway is in fact a threaded recess, into which is screwed an adaptor or other suitably threaded device which is then attached to a slide hammer and then removed in the conventional way.

:P

Or a pair of mole grips

At least no one suggested wacking the end of the crank with a lump hammer, or leverering it out with a scaffold pole under one of the webs.

Someone tell him where the online manual is I cant remember. Its a PDF I think on calcutt site.

Glad to see your all trembling in your boots... :lol:

Got the manual thanks !