BW in new equipment shock.

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

Despite being short of funds, and a serious maintenance back log, BW have gratuitously splurged out on new equipment, and in the process seem to have abandoned a working practice of long standing. For as long as boaters can rember, BW staff have moored their work boats with a technique that has been handed down from yore, using an old piece of frayed, blue, nylon string. This technique now has been abandoned, to be replaced by a soul-less, modern, orange piece of nylon string. Discussions are ongoing as to which classic boaters knot has been used here.

Photo0592.jpg

** And yes, it has been re-tied several times by others, including myself, last week. I give the crew full marks for the inventive use of re-bar as a mooring pin.... **

Waterways Ireland keep the old customs alive...

Img_0574.jpg

The "carpenters" boat, moored up in Ringsend Basin.

Img_0202.jpg

OK, so the mooring up with blue string is not that bad...but on the only VM for miles about.

Img_1249.jpg

Either the blue string came undone, or they could not be ar&ed to moor it up.

Img_3842.jpg

WI's band new workboat, already with much blue string festoonery.

So that rope colour is not so much orange as Gordian Brown?

:lol:

Will someone please give this man a coat?!

No - he deserves a medal . . .

I think it may too early yet to mourn the passing of the frayed blue string - they still have about six feet of it at Cropredy - more than enough for a work boat and a couple of hoppers . . .

Edited by NB Alnwick

Without wishing to doubt Luctor's credentials, this story seems almost unbelievable.

I simply can't believe the nylon string colour would change, and wondered if April 1st has come early.

I'm still studying the picture for any obvious evidence of Photoshopping.

Frankly I'm more prepared to believe the moon landings were faked!

I think it may too early yet to mourn the passing of the frayed blue string - they still have about six feet of it at Cropredy - more than enough for a work boat and a couple of hoppers . . .

But to be fair, what's in Luctor's photo looks nearly enough for replacement of the entire BW work-boat fleet!

Without wishing to doubt Luctor's credentials, this story seems almost unbelievable.

I simply can't believe the nylon string colour would change, and wondered if April 1st has come early.

I'm still studying the picture for any obvious evidence of Photoshopping.

Frankly I'm more prepared to believe the moon landings were faked!

But to be fair, what's in Luctor's photo looks nearly enough for replacement of the entire BW work-boat fleet!

This is true but I cannot believe that this knot was tied by BW staff.

I say this for several reasons (apart from it being the wrong colour) and present my evidence thus:

The line is too long;

It is not frayed;

It does not have a loose and frayed end dangling in the water;

No attempt seems to have been made to tie it to the thin branch of a tree or a rotten fence post;

In conclusion, I say that clearly the line is an imposter - simply tied there by a prankster to mislead us all.

quote name='RLWP' timestamp='1285099876' post='587941'

Isn't that Uri Geller's boat?

quote name='alan_fincher' timestamp='1285099885' post='587942'

Ah the infamous Uri Geller lock.

Our insurance company will not accept them.

My guess is that the timestamp is in seconds, so I beat you by nine seconds. Going to have to pick up you game Alan!

Richard

:lol: