Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Djuwenda

Atheist Boaters fellowship

Featured Posts

Just as it is not possible to prove the non existence of god it is not possible to disprove that god created the universe for the benefit of herrings. We have no way to be sure that molluscs do not feel a deep sense of spirituality and it may be that oysters have an advanced strain of religious thought. Squid may have a group chant with effects that defy logical explanation. Tins may only exist as a dream of baked beans. Where do I stop? There is literally an infinity of things we cannot disprove. Recently a vicar upset people by telling kids santa doesn't exist, yea? prove it.

There is no need for a god and absolutely no evidence to suggest that there is one.

Written and personal testimony is acceptable as evidence in law, as an example. The presence of the universe is evidence of a creator.

The proffered evidence may be insufficient to prove a hypothesis or be capable of alternative, more probable explanation or be contradicted by other witnesses or evidence, but that is not to say there is no evidence.

The presence of the universe is not evidence of a creator at all, you would just like it to be, and I'm afraid "god spoke to me" is no more admissible than "I saw pixies dancing round mushrooms."

I made no suggestion as to the quality or ranking of any evidence. We may properly discount evidence if other evidence points to the contrary, but evidence it remains.

We may properly discount evidence if other evidence points to the contrary, but evidence it remains.

No it doesn't if it is dismissed as fanciful imagination.

???

I thought the question is pretty clear.

It is an arbitrary date selected by Roman's who wanted to impose their middle eastern superstition on their empire in the 4th century AD.

Supplanting the existing religion's feast day and stealing their rites and rituals is a good way of doing this seamlessly (syncretism) though I rather think it breaks the second and possibly the first commandment but why let a bit of creed get in the way of religious subjugation.

Only the true Messiah denies his divinity ;)

carlt. You are the Messiah. We don't have to follow you we don't have to follow anybody. We are all individuals.

All hail

And happy 'oh I just noticed the days are getting longer' celebration

:cheers:

:)

carlt. You are the Messiah. We don't have to follow you we don't have to follow anybody. We are all individuals.

Has the xmas cheer started flowing already chez Magnetman?

A cool yule to you too!

So might a teapot orbiting near Mars, but better minds than mine have long since dealt with that infinitely remote possibility.

We are talking about probabilities here. You could postulate any number of very unlikely things, the existence of which science could not conclusively disprove, but that doesn't make them any more likely. For all practical purposes it is perfectly valid to conclude that they don't exist, though.

I wonder why people thought the world was flat at the time..........

Supplanting the existing religion's feast day and stealing their rites and rituals is a good way of doing this seamlessly (syncretism) though I rather think it breaks the second and possibly the first commandment but why let a bit of creed get in the way of religious subjugation.

Well let's hope atheists don't try to do the same...

Edited by bassplayer

Well let's hope atheists don't try to do the same...

It's already happening.

Between the last two censuses there was a 12% drop in the number of folk calling themselves christians and a 10% increase in the number of folk who do not believe in a creator.

People are slowly realising that they don't need an imaginary friend.

It's called evolution.

I wonder why people thought the world was flat at the time..........

.... and religious courts of inquisition found people who believed otherwise to be guilty of heresy and punished them with torture or execution.

Religion is evil because by its nature it persecutes free thinkers, without whom we would never have learned to light fires, make cave paintings or cover our ill-designed bodies with animal skins.

Merry 'Xmas' everybody (including the god squad). cheers.gif

Only the true Messiah denies his divinity wink.png

All hail

And happy 'oh I just noticed the days are getting longer' celebration

cheers.gif

smile.png

He's not the messiah. He's a very naughty boy.

I feel that God is actually the Great Property Developer in The Sky.

This is based on the statement- In My Father's House there are many Mansions.

Don't knock it, there is some sort of reasoning to my befuddled thinking!

If I get out of bed and look in the mirror, I know that I will see a useless, decrepit, old man who is going to die soon. Is it worth getting out of bed?

I am useless, mister Darwin says so, I have fathered three children and successfully launched them out on the world. I'm redundant.

I am decrepit. My muscles are evaporating by the minute, my nervous system feels as if it has been soldered together by plumbers, and everything aches.

I am going to die soon judging by my ancestors, in about 12 years. Its a mess.

But deep inside I am still the cheerful, generous, kind and optimistic person that I always was, unchanged in over 50 years. Just that nobody can see it due to the layers of experience that have fallen over it.

Hey, I have a nice bit, maybe its worth getting out of bed after all!

Hmmm, interesting that. If this inner core that only I can see is completely unchanged and yet my body has changed drasticly then how can they be connected? Perhaps they are not? Yes, that must be it, my inner core must be in some way that I don't understand be separate from my disintegrating body so that it does not also disintegrate.

So what is going to happen when my body dies? If this inner core is not connected to my body, why should it be affected? Maybe it will continue? That's it, my inner core will live on, somehow.

This is great, there is a nice bit of me that will live forever! I need a name for this, I think I will call it a soul!

Hey people! I'm special, I have a soul! Let me tell you all about it!

You're happy I'm special but you don't want to hear the detail?

You're so happy that you want to declare me as King of the Jews? And you've got this piece of wood?

Look guys, I'm only sort of special, really I'm just like you, honest. We're all special in our own ways. We're all special? Hey, maybe you've got a soul too!

Ok, some of you can't see that you've got a soul. There is only one thing I can say about that. It's your fault. How? I don't know. But it is not my fault so it must be your fault. Ok?

So the rest of you can see that you've got a soul. That's good. Feels great doesn't it? But you've got some questions?

Where does your soul go when the body dies? I don't know. The I that is speaking to you is part of the dying bit, and as we've said, it is not connected to the eternal bit, so there's no way of knowing. But I do know that it is a good place. How do I know that? Well what evidence have you got that it is a bad place? None. None whatsoever. So obviously it must be a good place.

Where did your soul come from? I'll get a collection of old men together to form a focus group on that one, should report back in a few decades.

Sorry, no time for more questions, I've got a day to enjoy. Be seeing you!

• Greenie 1

you're welcome to your belief that you've got a soul... as long as it keeps you happy.

be assured the only worthwhile thing left of your body and soul when life departs is the memory others have of you.

just work on that being a good memory.

Ah the resurrection thread rises again... time for the Resurrection Shuffle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCoaNjZqUM

"All God's children got a little bit of soul"

On a different note, Ryan Bell, the former Seventh Day Adventist pastor who began blogging his "Year without God" as a theist, has finally drawn his conclusions on this year.

If I get out of bed and look in the mirror, I know that I will see a useless, decrepit, old man who is going to die soon. Is it worth getting out of bed?

I am useless, mister Darwin says so, I have fathered three children and successfully launched them out on the world. I'm redundant.

I am decrepit. My muscles are evaporating by the minute, my nervous system feels as if it has been soldered together by plumbers, and everything aches.

I am going to die soon judging by my ancestors, in about 12 years. Its a mess.

But deep inside I am still the cheerful, generous, kind and optimistic person that I always was, unchanged in over 50 years. Just that nobody can see it due to the layers of experience that have fallen over it.

Hey, I have a nice bit, maybe its worth getting out of bed after all!

Hmmm, interesting that. If this inner core that only I can see is completely unchanged and yet my body has changed drasticly then how can they be connected? Perhaps they are not? Yes, that must be it, my inner core must be in some way that I don't understand be separate from my disintegrating body so that it does not also disintegrate.

So what is going to happen when my body dies? If this inner core is not connected to my body, why should it be affected? Maybe it will continue? That's it, my inner core will live on, somehow.

This is great, there is a nice bit of me that will live forever! I need a name for this, I think I will call it a soul!

Hey people! I'm special, I have a soul! Let me tell you all about it!

You're happy I'm special but you don't want to hear the detail?

You're so happy that you want to declare me as King of the Jews? And you've got this piece of wood?

Look guys, I'm only sort of special, really I'm just like you, honest. We're all special in our own ways. We're all special? Hey, maybe you've got a soul too!

Ok, some of you can't see that you've got a soul. There is only one thing I can say about that. It's your fault. How? I don't know. But it is not my fault so it must be your fault. Ok?

So the rest of you can see that you've got a soul. That's good. Feels great doesn't it? But you've got some questions?

Where does your soul go when the body dies? I don't know. The I that is speaking to you is part of the dying bit, and as we've said, it is not connected to the eternal bit, so there's no way of knowing. But I do know that it is a good place. How do I know that? Well what evidence have you got that it is a bad place? None. None whatsoever. So obviously it must be a good place.

Where did your soul come from? I'll get a collection of old men together to form a focus group on that one, should report back in a few decades.

Sorry, no time for more questions, I've got a day to enjoy. Be seeing you!

Nice post, thanks.

watched Neil Oliver's programme on ancient sacred sites.

by describing ancient beliefs and superstitions it really puts modern religion into perspective.

perhaps some Christian can explain why their belief is more valid than the faithful who moved slabs of stone for miles across the Orkneys (and Wiltshire).

no on second thoughts they couldn't because the premise that any particular belief is better than any other is false because that is all they are - personal beliefs that have no validity or reality other than in his/her imagination.

watched Neil Oliver's programme on ancient sacred sites.

by describing ancient beliefs and superstitions it really puts modern religion into perspective.

perhaps some Christian can explain why their belief is more valid than the faithful who moved slabs of stone for miles across the Orkneys (and Wiltshire).

no on second thoughts they couldn't because the premise that any particular belief is better than any other is false because that is all they are - personal beliefs that have no validity or reality other than in his/her imagination.

Which is fine then when some bloke hops up and says he's a Jedi and worships the force we are supposed to respect that and consider it valid!!

needs to be very flexible as well to dodge the criticisms and appear to remain valid in the face of incontrovertible ..................

...... you know what I mean. unsure.png

needs to be very flexible as well to dodge the criticisms and appear to remain valid in the face of incontrovertible ..................

...... you know what I mean. :unsure:

Indeed...

Sign in to follow this