Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Djuwenda

Atheist Boaters fellowship

Featured Posts

Not lying at all, Read my response to Catrin. There's a big difference in reading on or jumping straight in with an accusation of lying.

I'm happy to edit/remove my accusation if you edit your original post...

I'm happy to edit/remove my accusation if you edit your original post...

No need.

I'm happy to let your accusation stand.

As I said I followed up with an explanation that I feel is perfectly adequate.

I posted in light hearted humour and have no intention of removing it nor offering further explanation.

No need.

I'm happy to let your accusation stand.

As I said I followed up with an explanation that I feel is perfectly adequate.

I posted in light hearted humour and have no intention of removing it nor offering further explanation.

Ok, if anybody else thinks my accusation is unfair I'll remove it then...

Ok, if anybody else thinks my accusation is unfair I'll remove it then...

Why persist?

I don't think your accusation is unfair, just mistaken because you didn't bother reading on to see my explanation.

I don't want you to remove it for my sake so why should anyone else require it?

Even if you do remove it it will still be there quoted in my response.

Lighten up a bit.

Why persist?

I don't think your accusation is unfair, just mistaken because you didn't bother reading on to see my explanation.

I don't want you to remove it for my sake so why should anyone else require it?

Even if you do remove it it will still be there quoted in my response.

Lighten up a bit.

I did read your second response though...

If you haven't seen it "The Second Coming" starring one of my favourite atheists, Christopher Eccleston, is excellent viewing.

Here's a snippet:

Are there many Heathens out there in canal world?

Ive been reading up on Odinism recently, seems I'll need a good recipe for Mead

That rather depends on your definition of heathen, it seems to have two main meanings, making me both a heathen, and not a heathen. I looked up this article again, which I reckon describes my attitude quite well. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/25/atheists-please-read-heathen-manifesto.

I really wouldn't want to lose this description of heathen to a neo-pagan group with dodgy affiliations.

But, mead now, mead sounds good.

Edited by Catrin

Ok I have had a revelation there is at least one god, it's the god of the bilge and it demands a sacrifice of skin, blood, nuts, washers and spanners every time I go down there

That rather depends on your definition of heathen, it seems to have two main meanings, making me both a heathen, and not a heathen. I looked up this article again, which I reckon describes my attitude quite well. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/mar/25/atheists-please-read-heathen-manifesto.

I really wouldn't want to lose this description of heathen to a neo-pagan group with dodgy affiliations.

But, mead now, mead sounds good.

Broken link sad.png

I dont know about neo-pagan stuff but i like the sound of Odinists worshiping the Gods through Feasting and Merry-Making.......Splendid

eta.....Demijohns ordered

Edited by saltysplash

Broken link sad.png

I dont know about neo-pagan stuff but i like the sound of Odinists worshiping the Gods through Feasting and Merry-Making.......Splendid

eta.....Demijohns ordered

Weird, dunno why that wouldn't go. I'll try again. Heathen Manifesto at the Guardian.

I've checked the link, it should be OK.

Feasting and merry making sounds like the midwinter festival to me!

And of course, those that know us know that we are definitely Odinist.

"cold reading" is the term you are looking for. It's well understood how it works.

As suggested by your description they often fire out loads of different things, if they don't land, well that message is for someone else. You say that you thought that a message was for your friend, someone else thought that it was for them - this is because they use generalisations, that cover most people. Many people know a Dave, or David; or someone whose name begins with M; or who is struggling with cancer; or who had a male relative who died of a heart attack. Once they've got someone who sees a link, then they can pick up on verbal and non-verbal signals - but they don't always get it right, and become adept at covering up. I saw one woman on TV:

Medium: He died of a heart attack.

Audience Member: No, he had cancer.

Medium: Yes, I know that, but he had a heart attack at the end he tells me.

But, your choice, just go to it with open eyes, and read up how it is done before hand.

You say that you see the gods as manifestations of the spirit that they represent (e.g. the holly king representing the spirit of winter). I'm a bit puzzled by how that works. So, my next question is, what then is the spirit of winter? How does it exist? Is it a force or energy? Where does it come from, and how does it differ from the spirit of spring, summer or autumn? Does the spirit change suddenly from autumn to winter, or is there a gradual change?

I know traditionally, in folklore, there is a battle, and the old, holly king, dies, but do you see this as a reality, that there is a battle of forces around the solstice?

The instance I referred to was more specific than a name .. it was a number but I won't go into details as they are personal to the person I was with at the time. At one time I had a tarot reading done and was surprised to hear the reader use my brother's name as I thought I had been very careful not to use it, however when I listened back to the recording she had provided I had in fact used it in another form (Mick instead of Michael) .... but she did mention apsects of his life that I definitley didn't mention so as they could have been lucky guesses I'm still waiting for my own proof.

All spirits are energy and the "battle" as far as I am concerned is just a metaphor - I know it is always going to be won becuase it the earth is spinning around the sun and its that which causes the day to increase/decrease - but the energies do change and although there is no real battle we need to ensure that we accept the changes that happen at this time.

But as I said I'm still learning so don't take my word as expert.

The instance I referred to was more specific than a name .. it was a number but I won't go into details as they are personal to the person I was with at the time. At one time I had a tarot reading done and was surprised to hear the reader use my brother's name as I thought I had been very careful not to use it, however when I listened back to the recording she had provided I had in fact used it in another form (Mick instead of Michael) .... but she did mention apsects of his life that I definitley didn't mention so as they could have been lucky guesses I'm still waiting for my own proof.

All spirits are energy and the "battle" as far as I am concerned is just a metaphor - I know it is always going to be won becuase it the earth is spinning around the sun and its that which causes the day to increase/decrease - but the energies do change and although there is no real battle we need to ensure that we accept the changes that happen at this time.

But as I said I'm still learning so don't take my word as expert.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. While I don't myself believe any more, I do try to understand other peoples' points of view.

To be honest, at this time of year, and at the other solstice and the equinoxes, I do have a hankering after some kind of celebration of the astronomical events. I was talking to our son last night, and saying that I wonder if there is a natural human desire to mark the calendar with celebratory events - he says no, but he's never been brought up with any belief system. Also, I'm someone who naturally watches the seasons passing, the changes in the hedgerows, the changing constellations, so perhaps it is just part of my nature.

Religion is the root of all evil.

Don't agree. Religion is the root of some evil.

Thank you, I appreciate your reply. While I don't myself believe any more, I do try to understand other peoples' points of view.

To be honest, at this time of year, and at the other solstice and the equinoxes, I do have a hankering after some kind of celebration of the astronomical events. I was talking to our son last night, and saying that I wonder if there is a natural human desire to mark the calendar with celebratory events - he says no, but he's never been brought up with any belief system. Also, I'm someone who naturally watches the seasons passing, the changes in the hedgerows, the changing constellations, so perhaps it is just part of my nature..

In which case I'd ask your son if he celebrates New Year - its a holiday with a purely secular root despite falling around the various religious midwinter festivals - and ask what the difference is. I agree that we have a desire to mark anniversaries of events (good and bad) ... my sister and I mark our brother's and parents' anniversaries by drinking to absent friends; nearly everyone celebrates birthdays and some celebrate wedding anniversaries (with varying degrees of enthusiasm I guess).

In which case I'd ask your son if he celebrates New Year - its a holiday with a purely secular root despite falling around the various religious midwinter festivals - and ask what the difference is. I agree that we have a desire to mark anniversaries of events (good and bad) ... my sister and I mark our brother's and parents' anniversaries by drinking to absent friends; nearly everyone celebrates birthdays and some celebrate wedding anniversaries (with varying degrees of enthusiasm I guess).

I perhaps phrased it badly. He doesn't feel the need to celebrate the astronomical events - equinoxes and solstices. I doubt that he notices them, while I have been fascinated by astronomy since I was a child, and I love to see the moon in the sky - at any time of day.

He's happy to see christmas as a family event, and he's fine with celebrating the New Year, as well as birthdays and anniversaries. I said to him as we walked the dog up the road last night, "the solstice is in an hour or so".

"What's that?"

"The point in the year that the north pole is pointing furthest from the sun."

"Ah, good, the days start getting longer again."

I found 'the Calendar', an interesting read, the different methods of marking of time interest me.

I perhaps phrased it badly. He doesn't feel the need to celebrate the astronomical events - equinoxes and solstices. I doubt that he notices them, while I have been fascinated by astronomy since I was a child, and I love to see the moon in the sky - at any time of day.

He's happy to see christmas as a family event, and he's fine with celebrating the New Year, as well as birthdays and anniversaries. I said to him as we walked the dog up the road last night, "the solstice is in an hour or so".

"What's that?"

"The point in the year that the north pole is pointing furthest from the sun."

"Ah, good, the days start getting longer again."

I found 'the Calendar', an interesting read, the different methods of marking of time interest me.

:)

If that is so, how do we go about measuring that energy? (whether in kJ or BTU, I'm not bothered).

Surely ABV would be more accurate...

If that is so, how do we go about measuring that energy? (whether in kJ or BTU, I'm not bothered).

The same way that you measure the energy in a personality

Sign in to follow this