Gas Lockers (what can you keep in them)

skeets

Featured Posts

Our NB is soon due to have to be inspected/tested for a new safety certificate. What, if anything, apart from the gas bottles are allowed to be kept in the gas locker? My other half uses is a bit like a shed which I am sure is not as it is supposed to be. Lorraine

Or, for cylinder lockers:

Cylinders can be secured in a suitable cylinder locker, which must be gas

tight to the height of the regulator and valve. To help keep the lockers gas

tight they must be designed to only open from the top.

Cylinder valves, regulators and other components in the lockers can be

damaged if boating equipment, such as mooring pins, are thrown in. Damaged gas components could quickly leak, leading to a serious fire or

explosion potentially. To minimise the risk of this happening cylinder lockers

must have a lid or cover to protect the cylinders, low pressure regulators

and associated equipment from mechanical damage.

To prevent gas, which has escaped in the cylinder locker, from entering the

interior of the boat LPG must be able to drain effectively from the lowest

point of the cylinder locker to a point outside the hull, above the waterline.

Boats manufactured before 3 January 2000, which have a cylinder locker

drain as near as practical to the bottom of the cylinder locker, are exempt

from this part of this Standard. [7.2]

I can't find anywhere that says storing other things in there is prohibited but I would only keep flammable substances in a locker built for such things.

My petrol, gas, meths and paraffin all lived in the "flammable substances locker" which also complied with the BSS requirements.

I defy anyone to say that is not safer than making a flam bin only for gas.

You might find that all you should keep in a gas locker is gas bottles.

I stand to be corrected.

Martyn

This is my understanding too.

What the boater puts back in the gas locker after the inspection is their business though.

Mike (Gas technician)

Our NB is soon due to have to be inspected/tested for a new safety certificate. What, if anything, apart from the gas bottles are allowed to be kept in the gas locker?

For the duration of the inspection, nothing.

Some examiners will make witty remarks about "that pile of stuff on the bank that doesn't seem to have a home" during the inspection.

Thanks for the replies, boy is that homeless pile of stuff on the bank going to be big!!! Anyway off tomorow for a couple of weeks on the Thames, maybe I/we can spend sometime sorting things out that shouldn't be in the locker and finding them a better home. If you see us on NB Wingingit give us a wave or say hello. Lorraine and Mike.

Thanks for the replies, boy is that homeless pile of stuff on the bank going to be big!!! Anyway off tomorow for a couple of weeks on the Thames, maybe I/we can spend sometime sorting things out that shouldn't be in the locker and finding them a better home. If you see us on NB Wingingit give us a wave or say hello. Lorraine and Mike.

When I first read your boat-name I thought it said "Whingeing-git" :blush:

It would interesting to see how seriously an insurance company would view BSS rules/ regs/ advisories in the event of fire starting in a gas locker full of c**p.:mellow:

I see no problem with inert materials which cannot damage the bottles, pipes etc. Indeed, inert material MUST be in place if the drain outlet is above floor level. My inert material holds the bottle securely in place so I would expect congratulations from the insurance company not brickbats!

George ex nb Alton retired

It would interesting to see how seriously an insurance company would view BSS rules/ regs/ advisories in the event of fire starting in a gas locker full of c**p.:mellow:

I can't think of how you might start a fire in a gas locker?

And even if you managed it, there isn't a great supply of oxygen to keep it going. Especially to the point that it would heat up the cylinder(s).

We keep our spare cassette for the loo in the gas locker and ropes. They were in there during our inspection, no problem.

We will wave and say hello!

Jo.

Edited by Daftmare

And even if you managed it, there isn't a great supply of oxygen to keep it going. Especially to the point that it would heat up the cylinder(s).

If a fire did start from the rubbish in there, how much would those hoses connecting to the cylinders last?

If a fire did start from the rubbish in there, how much would those hoses connecting to the cylinders last?

Fair comment......

I've know idea what the fire rating (if any) is of the orange flexi connectors is. They're probably more pressure rated as they're pre regulator.

From the BSS:

"Cylinder lockers must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as

anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG

system components.

Cylinder lockers must not contain any item that could ignite leaked LPG"

This tends to rule out most items really, but as has been said, if its not in there at the time of the exam then fine.

Our NB is soon due to have to be inspected/tested for a new safety certificate. What, if anything, apart from the gas bottles are allowed to be kept in the gas locker? My other half uses is a bit like a shed which I am sure is not as it is supposed to be. Lorraine

they are good for keeping small children in, stops them falling in the cut :captain:

From the BSS:

Cylinder lockers must not contain any item that could ignite leaked LPG"

This tends to rule out most items really, but as has been said, if its not in there at the time of the exam then fine.

Actually I would say the contrary.

The three components required for a fire are:

Fuel

Ignition source

Oxygen

Most of what could/would be put in a gas locker with the bottles comes under the 'fuel' part.

Not many items could be classified as 'ignition sources'.

Actually I would say the contrary.

The three components required for a fire are:

Fuel

Ignition source

Oxygen

Most of what could/would be put in a gas locker with the bottles comes under the 'fuel' part.

Not many items could be classified as 'ignition sources'.

A possible LPG leak would provide all the fuel necessary without even considering tins of paint, oil, thinners etc. There would not have to be very much oxygen to provide a stoichiometric mixture perfect for ignition.

Sources of ignition could be such things as batteries/electrical equipment, heavy steel items or chemicals capable of exothermic reaction.

Admittedly it would be relatively unlikely to have a fire or explosion caused by a source of ignition inside the gas locker - much more likely would be an LPG leak finding a source of ignition outside the gas locker.

In my view the biggest risk from keeping extraneous items in a gas locker is of causing a leak by damaging the hoses or regulators - I have seen a cracked and leaking regulator caused by a mooring pin having been carelessly chucked in.

Imagine a scenario where an abused gas locker has become dangerous by having the vent holes blocked by debris AND a damaged hose is leaking gas. The gas locker will fill with gas which will then spill out either onto the canal or into the boat - there just happens to be a fisherman close by lighting up a fag...

Edited by Boatgypsy

But is it fine? Why is it OK at other times? If the cylinders can be damaged and cause a fire by such items as mooring pins etc. why would you put them in there at all?

Jo

I quite agree. My comment was intended to suggest that it would be fine from the point of view of satisfying the examiner. If someone is daft enough to put something dangerous in a gas locker after the examiner has gone, then they have only themselves to blame if it goes bang.

Examiners can only examine on the day. They all know that many boats don't meet the BSS requirements the day after. However, it is the responsibility of the boat owner to ensure that their boat does meet the requirements on the other 364 days of the year. You can be sure that your boat insurance will be void if you do not and it can be shown that your failure was the cause of any subsequent fire.

The BSS is quite clear that nothing that can cause damage to the gas system or ignite leaking gas or block vents is allowed. So what might be allowed? I would err on the side of caution on not keep anything in there other than gas bottles.

Edited by Boatgypsy