Fuel Tank Manholes

NBMike

Featured Posts

Could anyone suggest a supplier for an access/inspection port that could be retro-fitted to the top side of a diesel fuel tank. The tank is only about 2mm thick material so port would need to be bolted on with nuts/washers held one from inside, therefore it would need to be 5-6" diameter to fit hand through to tighten fixings. I've found plastic one for water tank but don't know if it would be okay for BSS.

Mike

Could anyone suggest a supplier for an access/inspection port that could be retro-fitted to the top side of a diesel fuel tank. The tank is only about 2mm thick material so port would need to be bolted on with nuts/washers held one from inside, therefore it would need to be 5-6" diameter to fit hand through to tighten fixings. I've found plastic one for water tank but don't know if it would be okay for BSS.

Mike

Can't give you a name but you can just saw cut a hole, weld studs to the top and then custom make a 'rubber' gasket to fit the portal. Then its just a matter of bolting a plate of steel onto the studs. Keep it simple.

Don't forget to filter any fuel left in the tank.

Mike

It would be a fairly simple job to make your own with a plate of, say, 2mm steel. If you drilled and tapped the tank and used a suitable rubber gasket, you could and screw down the inspection plate without having to use nuts and bolts.

Edited to add: even simpler - no welding.

Edited by koukouvagia

Mike

If it really is only 2mm thick, you will struggle to get a gasket to seal because the plate will distort between fixings unless you have a ridiculous number of fixings very close together. Better to get a thicker ring welded to the tank, this can be pre-drilled and tapped for fixing screws, or for bolts passing up from inside.

I don't know whether these exist as a ready-made item, but not difficult for a steel fabricator (or good boatyard) to make up for you.

Tim

If it really is only 2mm thick, you will struggle to get a gasket to seal because the plate will distort between fixings unless you have a ridiculous number of fixings very close together. Better to get a thicker ring welded to the tank, this can be pre-drilled and tapped for fixing screws, or for bolts passing up from inside.

I don't know whether these exist as a ready-made item, but not difficult for a steel fabricator (or good boatyard) to make up for you.

Tim

Thanks for that Tim,Yoda and Koukie. A bit of lateral thinking. Yes I'll do that. I just have to get my plasma cutter repaired after it died yesterday.