Moorings in Chester

Ian B

Featured Posts

Winding at Christleton, by the road bridge in the centre of the city or go down the stiarcase (to the best moorings in the Telford Basin) and turn there.

Mooring before the bridge can be very noisy all night at weekends - quieter if you go just through the bridge and moor there under the wall. Telford Basin has had a bad press on occasions buyt I've never had a problem there. Can be quite noisy with music until fairly late from the Telford Pub though. Make sure you walk the city walls if you stop there - about two miles with plenty of refreshment shops and you cross the middle of the main shopping area.

Winding at Christleton, by the road bridge in the centre of the city or go down the stiarcase (to the best moorings in the Telford Basin) and turn there.

Mooring before the bridge can be very noisy all night at weekends - quieter if you go just through the bridge and moor there under the wall. Telford Basin has had a bad press on occasions buyt I've never had a problem there. Can be quite noisy with music until fairly late from the Telford Pub though. Make sure you walk the city walls if you stop there - about two miles with plenty of refreshment shops and you cross the middle of the main shopping area.

Outside the Cheshire Cat in Christleton is good, but they fill up quick. Many boats moor further down towards the winding hole, but it is shallow there so unless you're in a V-shaped hull you'll need a boarding plank and maybe a couple of tyres as bumpers!

Also past the winding hole near the water point is a good spot - I don't find it particularly noisy although there's some road noise. It's outside the Old Trooper pub which is a Harvester so many a Kickin' Chicken is a stone's throw away!

From Christleton you can walk into Chester in 45 mins or get the Park & Ride for £1.70 which takes 5 or 10 mins.

Nearer to Chester many boats more outside the Frog & Nightingale pub but only do that if you don't have clutter on your roof as yobbos are known for chucking your stuff into the canal. It's a noisy old pub but you'll be right near the town centre. Also a bit further on past the winding hole are the City Wall moorings - a great sight but keep anything loose locked away.

Lastly if you don't mind going throught the staircase locks, the basin at telfords is a great place to moor. Full of life, and you will get noise from the music at Telfords Bar, however it's kinda posh so the punters are very civilised. I've never experienced any trouble there, but always use a mooring chain for security anyway.

All-in-all Christleton's my favourite Chester mooring as it's safe, quiet and I don't mind the walk into town.

• 5 months later...

Just planning a trip to Chester - looks like Telford Basin may be the best place to moor, but I will be there on a Friday night so perhaps not?

Does anyone have any more to add (from their experience)?

Hi

We always moor back from Frodsham Street Bridge 123E, Next to Tesco and very close to town - never any trouble even though there is a bar there.

Alex

The Northgate locks leading down to the Telfords basin are being repaired,well they were the other week when I went past.Worth checking before you get down there.Enjoy Chester it's lovely, but then I'm biased I live here!.

We have moored at Frodsham Street Bridge twice 2004 and 2007. Both occasions have had a clown jump onto the gunwales and the last time the TV antenna snapped. Apart from that we have enjoyed Chester, it is a lovely city. I will be back in about a month with an old army mate - my wife is not coming this year.

Cheers all

Edited by Bill Kennedy

Just planning a trip to Chester - looks like Telford Basin may be the best place to moor, but I will be there on a Friday night so perhaps not?

Does anyone have any more to add (from their experience)?

we moored there, you do get some noise till early hours and did have fishermen there into the dark hours as well but no bother at all, was there 2 weekends, and loved it..

The Northgate locks leading down to the Telfords basin are being repaired,well they were the other week when I went past.Worth checking before you get down there.Enjoy Chester it's lovely, but then I'm biased I live here!.

Found the stoppage notice:

Waterway: Shropshire Union Canal From 04/01/2011 to 18/02/2011

Is Date Flexible?: As part of the public consultation exercise this stoppage is to remain as per the original dates.

Assets affected: * lock

Reasons for work: * repair * maintenance

Replacement of bottom gates and repairs to masonry.

Replacement of bottom gates.

Nearest upstream winding: Cow Lane Bridge 123E Winding Hole

Nearest downstream winding: Chester Basin below Northgate Locks

Thanks for all the advice - Chester here we come!