Erebus

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Picture of the bow now added to the broker's website:

http://southferribymarina.com/sfmarina/boat_sales/erebus-2/?pid=212

Why do I think Thomas the Tank engine?

Paul

I have loads of pictures if anyone wants them emailed.

Mum knows the boat and said that it rocks very very badly (or very well depending on how you look at it), and this is a comment coming from someone who lived on Baltic for the best part of 4-5 years.

I had a good look at Erebus when she was for sale in the mid nineties, would probably have been 1995. She rocked a lot and although I'm quite light at 61kg she did notice me and I was told by someone else that it was rather easy to get the gunnel underwater.

A lovely boat, she was in excellent order, with a Taylors paraffin gimballed cooker and a lovely Ailsa Craig one lunger well forward with a little forecabin in front.

It was my understanding that she was 5ft 8 inches beam and something like 28ft long.

They wanted £8,950 if I remember right and I think it was at WFBCo at Stockton.

I think she had a steel cabin when I saw her but maybe not.

Judging by the asking price it would seem that old narrow boats may be a good investment :unsure:

Nice boat, needs a good home.

although she is a little overpriced she does have an impressive inventory, according to the broker:

Navigation equipment

Compass / Speed / Wind / Log / Echo sounder / Radar / VHF

GPS / Stereo / Clock / Barometer / Navigation Lights / Fish finder

TV / Video / Computer

Safety Equipment

Gas detector / Liferaft / Life jackets / Searchlight / Safety harness

Horn / Danbouy /Security Alarm

Bilge Pump

:rolleyes:

Mum knows the boat and said that it rocks very very badly (or very well depending on how you look at it), and this is a comment coming from someone who lived on Baltic for the best part of 4-5 years.

i don't suppose it is surprising it rocks really as it was built as an icebreaker. I am still very interested in buying it. I would love the pictures if you would be willing to send them please.

i don't suppose it is surprising it rocks really as it was built as an icebreaker. I am still very interested in buying it. I would love the pictures if you would be willing to send them please.

PM me your email and I will send you the pics. :)

Edited by Speedwheel

• 1 month later...

It will be again if I can get my house sold and free up some boat money before someone else buys it, or I can persuade the seller to wait. :lol:

I saw it advertised for sale in the 70's for £4000 and fell in love with it back then. At the time it was advertised as "believed to be" an ex Ashby Canal boat. It was for sale again through a brokerage in the early 90's, I think it was, but again I had no money to buy it. Now there's a chance. Fingers crossed.

I,m going to stick my neck out and say Ive seen this for sale in the last year but I may be wrong.

You mean as per the link posted by the OP?

http://southferribymarina.com/sfmarina/boat_sales/erebus-2/#more-182

Yes its the interior and in particular the front exterior of the boat combined with the high superstructure I remember. I seem to recall a perception of hardship on the owners behalf or a time limit of some sort.

• 7 months later...

For better or worse I have bought Erebus.

I fell in love with the quirky little boat in its shabby state and took the plunge (hopefully no pun intended).

She has been surveyed and will shortly be winging her way to a hardstanding next to the River Witham for some long needed TLC.

I am new to boating and some of you will be questioning my sanity after your comments on her stabilty. Oh Well.

I look forward to hearing from anyone boating on the Witham and would like to meet up anytime for a beer and a chat. :cheers:

For better or worse I have bought Erebus.

I fell in love with the quirky little boat in its shabby state and took the plunge (hopefully no pun intended).

She has been surveyed and will shortly be winging her way to a hardstanding next to the River Witham for some long needed TLC.

I am new to boating and some of you will be questioning my sanity after your comments on her stabilty. Oh Well.

I look forward to hearing from anyone boating on the Witham and would like to meet up anytime for a beer and a chat. :cheers:

Excellent, well done. She's a fascinating boat and I hope you enjoy keeping her for a while

Welcome to the forum Iceman, you'll get a lot of helpful advice if you want it. and a load of guff too, but that's just the way it is

Richard

Yes, congratulations. EREBUS is - like all the Ice Boats - unique.

Keep the balance under control, basically how you move around, and providing all is well with the engine and gear, she'll go like sh*t off a shovel. A 'Jack Russel' of a boat! One to fall in love with definitely.

Whereabouts on the Witham will you be Iceman? I live close to Lincoln and have a boat nearby also

Hi Bazza

Yet to be confirmed, but i've got a mooring at Belle Isle Marina, Dogdyke.

I live at Walcott, so we are nearly neighbours.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 17/08/2010 at 09:34, Paul H said:

Its good to see Erebus again - some boats just disappear off the radar but given it is out of the water in an out of the way yard this is not surprising.

I have no idea who built the original hull but it will be probably beforer 1900 - whether it was for the Ashby Canal I doin't know because in view of its narrowness it might have been more suited to the Shrophire tub boat canals. I believe the counter was put on by Malcolm Pearson, an extremely good if sporadic boatbuilder - I think he ended up at Sirius Yachts.

Erebus is a cute boat with a lovely engine but would not I fear be an easy boat to own. Firstly it is extremely narrow - only 5ft 6ins - which severely compromises accommodation and it is alarmingly unstable. I stepped on it when it was for sale about 15 years ago at Warwickshire Fly and the boat rolled so much the gunnel touched water. The boat at the time was fitted with a cooking stove on gimbals which it certainly needed.

I have pictures somewhere of it at Gas Street and it was later owned by an eccentric Frenchman in London (and pictured on the cover of Waterways World breaking ice.) I last saw it about 10 years ago in the workshop at Milton Keynes Marina having the cabin skinned over in steel (which will not have improved its stability) with some very fine work including dog's head shaped ends to the handrails by Pete there.

Its a very easy boat to fall in love with but before you part with your cash Natalie I would suggest you got them to put it in the water so you can judge for yourself - you are most likely not to be as heavy or clumsy as me.

I often wonder if it was the boat I saw in the late 70s in City Road Basin with big timber baulks as outriggers making it a 7ft wide trimaran. If not there's another one about somewhere.

Paul

Hi could you post or send me and pic you may have or Erebus 

On 11/09/2010 at 20:47, Speedwheel said:

Hi do you think you could email me any pictures you may have of Erebus

fatherofsummer@hotmail.com

As I recently purchased her I will be interested to see what she used to look like

I was at Brinklow when Erebus arrived, stability was a popular topic in the tea room....I was taken with the finials found around the boat which appeared to be polar bear heads, very appropriate considering the name. Good luck with the renovation.

43 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I was at Brinklow when Erebus arrived, stability was a popular topic in the tea room....I was taken with the finials found around the boat which appeared to be polar bear heads, very appropriate considering the name. Good luck with the renovation.

And I was at Brinklow Boat Services yesterday where EREBUS was open with somebody working on it :captain:

1 minute ago, pete harrison said:

And I was at Brinklow Boat Services yesterday where EREBUS was open with somebody working on it :captain:

That was the previous previous owner Peter March and also is known as my fatherThat was the previous previous owner Peter March and also is known as my father