Fitting timer/controller to webasto top e

Mac49

Featured Posts

I have a webasto heating on my boat and can't seem to get on with the standard controller. I'd like to swap it for a more conventional household controller. The standard unit uses 3 wires (red, brown, black) and a household one uses two. I been told this is fine and only two of the wires are needed, just not which two! I've had a look on someone else's boat with a similar but older setup which differs a bit from mine which appears to use brown and black but can't be 100% sure without dismantling their boat! I seem to remember this being covered on this forum in the past but can't seem to find it now (seem to remember topic included info as to why a thermostatic controller wasn't a good idea too). Any info on fitting a non standard timer/controller to a webasto would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick.

Have you seen these:

http://www.kingslockchandlery.co.uk/wn/mio...er/pid/6676061/

Not used one myself though.

That seems to do what I want but it's a bit dear. A household timer can be had for about £20-30. This unit sounds like it's a direct replacement and uses a the third wire to power itself like the standard webasto one rather than an battery like this one at toolstation which admittedly only has 3 on/offs a day, the one on the boat I was looking at was called a Danfoss TP5 but I think it's long been discontinued. The one at Kings Lock certainly looks to be the easiest way (if there is such a thing as an easy way when working on a boat! :lol: )

Cheers Rick

That seems to do what I want but it's a bit dear. A household timer can be had for about £20-30. This unit sounds like it's a direct replacement and uses a the third wire to power itself like the standard webasto one rather than an battery like this one at toolstation which admittedly only has 3 on/offs a day, the one on the boat I was looking at was called a Danfoss TP5 but I think it's long been discontinued. The one at Kings Lock certainly looks to be the easiest way (if there is such a thing as an easy way when working on a boat! :lol: )

Cheers Rick

Domestic household timers run off 240v and the Webasto runs off 12/24v. The Kingslock upgraded timer is suitable for 12v and is a direct upgrade, (assumed to be approved by Webasto and tested for the purpose intended), bolt on bolt off no additional wiring replacement for the standard Webasto timer. Would not advise fitting a non Webasto approved timer and trying to adapt the wiring etc. The Kingslock version will be available somwhere at a cheaper trade price if you hunt around a bit.

Looking at a wiring diagram on the web here, the black wire is the switched feed to the heater, red is the positive and brown the 0v line.

You will also find in the Webasto wiring loom to the timer a looped wire, whose colour I have forgotten, which if you cut and bridge with an on/off switch, will restrict the burner run time to one hour if switched 'off'.

• Greenie 1

We have the TP5, no probs, AA battery lasts years, I believe THIS is a later version, dear yes but it doesn't rely on domestic batts.

We also used a TP5 and when a replacement was required I just checked out Screwfix and found a suitable replacement at sensible money and like the TP5 it runs on AA batteries.

Phil

You could use a programmable thermostat, rather than a timer...

Our Horstmann Centaurstat 7, powers itself using AA batteries and has two (or three, for cooling applications) connections. They've been recommended on here before for use with boat systems. Quite cheap too, at the £25 sort of mark. Ours is connected to a normal house boiler on the boat, but a useful bit of kit anyway.

Despite being 'just' a thermostat, it is quite flexible in terms of on/off times.

PC

I was looking at this (http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17585/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Controls/Horstmann-DRT2-Room-Thermostat) from screwfix, it looks like it does a similar job to the TP5 and is maybe a more basic version of the one Paul's got and look a reasonable price. I'm going to have a look at the setup on my parent's boat tomorrow to see if I can work out the wiring.

Cheers Rick

• 2 months later...

Looking at a wiring diagram on the web here, the black wire is the switched feed to the heater, red is the positive and brown the 0v line.

You will also find in the Webasto wiring loom to the timer a looped wire, whose colour I have forgotten, which if you cut and bridge with an on/off switch, will restrict the burner run time to one hour if switched 'off'.

Reading this and the info about the Horstmann worked perfectly for me - thank you for making it so simple :D

However, having just taken a look at a friend's Webasto I see that they have 4 wires connected to the timer? They'd also like the Horstmann timer connected, but I'm a little thrown by the extra wire!

Do you think it matters at all, or should it be reconnected elsewhere?

I have a webasto heating on my boat and can't seem to get on with the standard controller. I'd like to swap it for a more conventional household controller. The standard unit uses 3 wires (red, brown, black) and a household one uses two. I been told this is fine and only two of the wires are needed, just not which two! I've had a look on someone else's boat with a similar but older setup which differs a bit from mine which appears to use brown and black but can't be 100% sure without dismantling their boat! I seem to remember this being covered on this forum in the past but can't seem to find it now (seem to remember topic included info as to why a thermostatic controller wasn't a good idea too). Any info on fitting a non standard timer/controller to a webasto would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick.

I have just fitted a 7day timer, from webasto, to a webasto heater. If you PM me I can email the wiring diagrams.

The timer has 4 connections: 12v, 0v, and 2 switch wires. One of these wires is connected to the 12v, so you get 3 wires going to the heater.

Rob

The wiring on my Webasto is as follows :-

Red - live supply to timer

Brown- earth

black - trigger, connect to live to switch boiler 'on'

I think the looped wire that was referred to which will restrict run time to 1 hour is purple.

Peter

my webasto thermo 90 s has a danfos tp5 as timer and thermostat. Its 2 wire - aaa battery powered (lasts years)and much cheaper and simpler than the webasto proper job ( which was difficult to program). The danfos has been bought out by alde.

Ken