Bored.....a bit of light reading.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Just surfing and I've found this interesting site.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

Hiya Supermalc.

What an interesting site. I'll get back to it later. Maybe i can learn something!

Another interesting site i've found while bored over the festivities is www.earth.google.com.

I downloaded the program and within seconds was looking into my back garden from a great hight, even the garden tables were there! Magic!

May i wish yourself and all at Canal World a pleasants and relaxing new year and may the lock gates always be open for you!!

Brian

Yeah, its and interesting site.

- And the google earth program is quite somthing.

Also i find Wikipedia to be very intresting, lot of good info on there, although occationaly, due to the nature of the site, its not always 100% correct. (be then again, neather is anything)

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

Just looked on Malcs post Howstuffworks and it claims three years old for Google Earth images.

I recon it's different in some places than others.

IThere

IThere

Whoops! sorry about that! proves i'n new to all this!

As i was saying--

On the river Medina at Cowes, my boat is shown on a mooring i had last year!

If only it explained how women work I'd be happy

Ah well

I'm no good at jokes.....however someone at the boat club is, and told us this last year.

Three men were marooned on an island. One day as they were wallking on the shore they saw a bottle. One picked it up and rubbed it. A genie appeared and said 'You're wish is my command'.

The man gasped with delight and said 'please can I have a boat to get me off this island'

Instantly the genie conjured up a fantastic boat, and he jumbed aboard and sailed off.

The next man picked up the bottle and gave it a rub The genie re-appeared 'You're wish is my command'.

I get seasick, can you get me a helicopter to fly out.

Instantly the genie conjured up a helicopter, and gave the man the skills to fly it. He jumed in, and was soon airborne and away.

The last man thought 'blimey, I'm all alone now. Hope it works for me.'

After rubbing the bottle the genie appeared for the third time.

'I get seasick and airsick, can you build me a bridge to the mainland.'

'Oh come on now' said the genie 'It's 50 miles that's too much of a feat even for me'

'Ok then' said the man. 'As I'm going to be here for a long time, tell me how a womans mind works'.

Genie 'Now do you want that bridge in wood or aluminium'...........

A great way to waste a few hours, I found myself looking at Two Stroke Diesels, one of those topics that it is is generally assumed that people either already know all about, or don't want to know all about.

For anyone who wants to know the very basic principles of diesel engines or any other sort the explanations are as good as I have seen anywhere.

A great way to waste a few hours, I found myself looking at Two Stroke Diesels

Yeah, i read that (and the petrol two-stroke page) while researching for my 'artifact anlysis' mini-project.

- Very infromative, and in parts, even relevent to the project!

Daniel

A great way to waste a few hours, I found myself looking at Two Stroke Diesels, one of those topics that it is is generally assumed that people either already know all about, or don't want to know all about.

Shame there doesn't appear to be anything about the opposed piston 2 stroke diesels, or for that matter its cousin the split single.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

check this out. The amazing Napier Deltic 3 bank opposed piston 2 stroke.

I was trying to think of the name of the lorry built in the fifties, horizontally opposed eight cylinder two stroke diesel, fitted low slung below the body. Peculiar thing with only one crankshaft, the pistons were connected by a complicated system of rods and bell cranks. There was only one firm up here that used them, Ripponden Transport. Not sure what you mean by a split single though.

The Deltic, I had a good drewel over that in the Railway Museum, almost too good to be stuck in a locomotive.

Edited by John Orentas

The Deltic, I had a good drewel over that in the Railway Museum, almost too good to be stuck in a locomotive.

Yeah, the 'deltics' (class55's) are pritty cool

Therse some info here about the engine here

- and some photos of the loco on Rail-Phots here

There was one at loughbough a few years back, although its moved to the east lancs railway now.

- Ad apprently one was a brush traction being restored quite recently.

Daniel