as tupperware goes ....

ChrisPy

Featured Posts

I would not want it, but it's neat and tidy and looks like a good messing-about-on-the-river craft. What does impress me is that the owner has bothered to present the boat in its best possible light, with ample photos - other advertisers could learn from this.

Shame about its daft name though.

http://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=147128

feel free to comment, with some sensitivity please bearing in mind we have at least one tupperware owner hereabouts. :lol:

I agree Chris - when you think you often see boats on here that cost 10 times this one with one poor out of focus photo....

10 out of 10 for presentation (and it's a tidy little boat too)

Looks a particularly well presented boat, and appears far more suitable for canal use than many.

I agree about the good photos, but feel they have let themselves down by very little description.

How old is the engine, for example ? Or what horse-power ? And what does "Petrol (Gas)" mean ? Is it converted to run on LPG, or are they just translating in case any Americans are interested.

I don't know GRP canal boat prices, but lovely though it looks, surely £11K is completely over the top, though ?

http://motorboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=147128

feel free to comment, with some sensitivity please bearing in mind we have at least one tupperware owner hereabouts. :lol:

Just curious, it appears to have the steering on the starboard side, is that usual? I would have thought that as we drive on the right the steering wheel should be to the left. Or does it vary (like most things boaty)?

I was recently moored across from one of these:

freeman22.jpg

A Freeman 22. I think it is the prettiest plastic boat I've seen and it has an inboard motor too. The standard beam is about 7' 6" but they did a narrow version too for canals and there seem to be one or two around for sale. Built in the late 60s, the one I saw was immaculate.

Alan, I think you have got it right: as Americans call petrol "gasoline", or "gas" for short, the vendor is just using a synonym for "petrol".

It could be argued that with so many photos covering so many nooks, crannies and angles of the boat, a verbose description would add little..

Just curious, it appears to have the steering on the starboard side, is that usual? I would have thought that as we drive on the right the steering wheel should be to the left. Or does it vary (like most things boaty)?

They vary from boat to boat. Ours is on the starboard side as well.

freeman22.jpg

A Freeman 22. I think it is the prettiest plastic boat I've seen and it has an inboard motor too. The standard beam is about 7' 6" but they did a narrow version too for canals and there seem to be one or two around for sale. Built in the late 60s, the one I saw was immaculate.

They were and still are a very popular boat and can still be found in their hundreds. They have taken on a bit of a following just lately and a lot of them are being "restored".

There is a much bigger Freeman 32 in our marina from the saem era that has had a full restoration and looks stunning. Shame is it never gets to see any real use and only rarely makes it the half mile to the Pyewipe.

And what does "Petrol (Gas)" mean ? Is it converted to run on LPG, or are they just translating in case any Americans are interested.

I think it's a pull down box that the whole site uses (i.e. international sales) so the user just selects the options available.

Mike

freeman22.jpg

nice day, man out walking the dog (with his sleeves rolled up?), and the boat has the cockpit fully screened off. Wot's goin' on in there then? :lol:

Edited by ChrisPy

nice day, man out walking the dog (with his sleeves rolled up?), and the boat has the cockpit fully screened off. Wot's goin' on in there then? :lol:

All the curtains drawn too. If you could see through the windscreen they would be curtained, with a slot and dark female eyes looking out.

a little overpriced but not a lot over priced, and as we have just found there is a difference between what people ask for and what they will take. That said I've just found the same model for sale in Cambridgeshire for £6k, but without a detailed examination I can't say it's in the same condition

The big difference to me between this and Juno is that Juno (at 23 feet) has a shower on board, this doesn't seem to have. That said, the hull on the Mayland looks to be in even better condition that Juno's (which I examined in some detail in dry dock yesterday). I'd hazard a guess that this Mayland has hardly been anywhere in her 21 years

edited to add, thinking about it though, Juno commanded a premium as she came with a mooring (paid until Christmas, then ours to take over) on the Kennet and Avon Canal, which probably added a few k to the price...

Edited by magpie patrick

It depends where you buy it from too. We bought from a dealer, for peace of mind and our 1989 Mayland Safari (21' - the model down from this one) cost us £5k. If the guy selling is some sort of dealer then there could be a little mark up. At a guess, I would say £8k would seem more reasonable

(Our steering is on the port side, for what its worth)

Edited by Barnfather

freeman22.jpg

thats a very nice boat, so much nicer than a narrowboat.

But also much nicer than the boat in the OP's link.

Fake clinker....tupperware's answer to the washer josher.

woah! won't hear a word against simulated clinker!

I think it actually improves the look of our boat from the front, especially with the Safari's quite angular, aggresive bow. And allegedly, the simulated clinker moulding had a purpose - to add strength to the structure.

Edited by Barnfather

And allegedly, the simulated clinker moulding had a purpose - to add strength to the structure.

Actually the original fake clinker boats were that shape because they used a real clinker built boat as a mould for the tupperware.

They make this amazing noise when you hit them with a 72 footer!

Is that the sound 'kerching' as in the insurance payout your broker is going to have to fork out?