Manchester...

Henri

Featured Posts

Heading towards Manchester tomorrow - where is best to stay in the centre? How long before BW move you on? Is there anywhere you can get a temporary mooring? (Even if I haven't got a mooring licence) Are there many who live aboard in the centre permanently? Where?

Cheers!

You could stop at Castlefield which is on the Bridgewater so not under BW jurisdiction. It's a good place to stop, nice and safe and only a short walk into town.

And you could probably get away with staying there for months just like all the others...

No problems here with going into Castlefield along the Bridgewater through Stretford. I have done it countless times and I've never had any problems except the odd bladefull.

I think its actually a nice trip, and a route that is probably underused.

Castlefield it is then! Thanks...

And do you have to enter Manchester under cover of darkness/early morning to avoid being molested by young uns', as seems to be accepted wisdom?

That is not the accepted wisdom. That is the misinformation spread by people who haven't been near the area for years. There is very little risk of any problems other than with rubbish around the prop. Please have a read of this recent thread in which the subject was discussed.

Castlefield is under Peel Holdings jurisdiction. The boats that stay for ages at Castlefield are probably Bridgewater Canal registered boats. By agreement BW registered boats can use the Bridgewater Canal for a certain number of days a year. (14 days? anyone know?)

Castlefield is under Peel Holdings jurisdiction. The boats that stay for ages at Castlefield are probably Bridgewater Canal registered boats. By agreement BW registered boats can use the Bridgewater Canal for a certain number of days a year. (14 days? anyone know?)

At least one of the boats that have been moored there for quite a while is BW licensed. I thought that officially BW licensed boats could stay on the canal for 7 days at a time, but I don't know if you are limited in the number of times you can return in a year. I don't think anyone is checking on a regular basis. I've never met or dealt with anyone other than Mike Webb in connection with mooring and licensing on the Bridgewater. He seemed to be a one man band when I moored there.

Mike Webb does have somebody checking on the boats now, has done for at least the past 15 months. When I first bought my boat, when my license was actually in the post, I was telephoned by the mooring manager to say that Mike Webb had been on the phone asking why they allowed a boat to tie there that wasn't licensed.

I'm not sure who this bloke is but he apparently has retired from BW and is working for Peel Holdings / Bridgewater Canal Company on a part time basis. I didn't mind being questioned at all, I was actually pleased that they are appearing to be pro-active but they need to follow up on the enquiries they've made regarding unlicensed or overstaying BW boats.

Martin, I have heard both 7 and 14 days so I'm not 100% sure myself.

Mike Webb does have somebody checking on the boats now, has done for at least the past 15 months. When I first bought my boat, when my license was actually in the post, I was telephoned by the mooring manager to say that Mike Webb had been on the phone asking why they allowed a boat to tie there that wasn't licensed.

I'm not sure who this bloke is but he apparently has retired from BW and is working for Peel Holdings / Bridgewater Canal Company on a part time basis. I didn't mind being questioned at all, I was actually pleased that they are appearing to be pro-active but they need to follow up on the enquiries they've made regarding unlicensed or overstaying BW boats.

Martin, I have heard both 7 and 14 days so I'm not 100% sure myself.

It always used to be 14 days reciprocal arrangement, but I have read that in recent years this was reduced to 7 days. Can anyone confirm before I do a few Google searches?

Heading towards Manchester tomorrow - where is best to stay in the centre? How long before BW move you on?

Assuming that you have a BW licence;

You can moor at Piccadilly village for 14 days.

You can moor at Castlefield for 7 days (This is MSC waters and you can only stay on their waters for 7 days at a time).

If you want any longer than that, you will need to get a mooring. As to how long before you get moved on, that rather implies that you intend to overstay by as much as you can get away with, which is not something that I for one will assist you with.

You can moor at Castlefield for 7 days (This is MSC waters and you can only stay on their waters for 7 days at a time).

If you want any longer than that, you will need to get a mooring. As to how long before you get moved on, that rather implies that you intend to overstay by as much as you can get away with, which is not something that I for one will assist you with.

Hear, Hear!

Came through Manchester last week end of July, 2010). Castlefield was nearly full and looked safe as houses. We moored at the top of the Rochdale Nine, just after the junctio with the Ashton Canal and had trouble with the local yobs :lol: who threw gravel and mud twice at the boat at 1 a.m., also a bottle which smashed on the roof. I rang 999 but the police took nearly half an hour to arrive, by which time they had gone. No significant damage was done, but this was uncomfortable and frightening. Noticed just after joining the Ashton next morning that you can stay overnight in a private mooring in Piccadillym that looked very nice. Castlefield looks the best - safety in numbers.

A good informative post ........

Thanks Dave. I agree with your last paragraph too.

7 or 14 days!!!- well try this one!

I got frozen in in Jan this year at Astley and couldnt move until the end of the month

whereupon I moved back to BW waters

2 weeks ago I went back to Astley on a Friday evening and the following Thursday (6 days later)

I got a section 9 notice on my boat saying move or they will take my boat!!!

Edited by Glennbrown

Came through Manchester last week end of July, 2010). Castlefield was nearly full and looked safe as houses. We moored at the top of the Rochdale Nine, just after the junctio with the Ashton Canal and had trouble with the local yobs :lol: who threw gravel and mud twice at the boat at 1 a.m., also a bottle which smashed on the roof. I rang 999 but the police took nearly half an hour to arrive, by which time they had gone. No significant damage was done, but this was uncomfortable and frightening. Noticed just after joining the Ashton next morning that you can stay overnight in a private mooring in Piccadillym that looked very nice. Castlefield looks the best - safety in numbers.

I moored above the Rochdale nine in June without any problems, guess it's just a case of wrong place wrong time. Having said that, Castlefield is my preference if you can get in.

I moored above the Rochdale nine in June without any problems, guess it's just a case of wrong place wrong time. Having said that, Castlefield is my preference if you can get in.

I agree. We had previously moored (February 2009) at the top of the Nine with no problem and plenty of police on patrol so maybe it was just an unlucky night.

How difficult is it to get in Castlefield, and where is the next best place to moor (having come down the Rochdale nine)?

Edited by lemontoes

How difficult is it to get in Castlefield, and where is the next best place to moor (having come down the Rochdale nine)?

I've never been unable to find a mooring at Castlefield but my boat is only 40ft. It does seem to be getting busier there too.

It would be good if Peel/MSC/Bridgewater Canal Co brought into use some of the many basins which are currently closed to boats. Some of them have lift bridges across the entrances which are part of busy footpaths so might not be practical to operate, but others just have booms across and could be brought into use. There are probably issues over security and accesss/egress on foot.

If you have come down the locks and can't find anywhere at all to moor there, you have to go as far as Sale before you reach a recommended mooring, although St Georges Island just outside Castlefield might be a possibility and I've often seen boats moored for days at various places between Castlefield and Stretford Waters Meeting.

Agreed, John... but the problem being that they were sold off privately years ago, and so are now privately owned. Nothing to do with Peel/MSC/Bridgewater Canal Co. It would be nice to see boats back in these small arms/wharfs, especially the one outside Key 103 but we can dream!

I was told earlier this evening whilst down at the moorings that there is a boat in Castlefield at the moment that has been tied in the same spot since last September. Talk about take the piss.

I was told earlier this evening whilst down at the moorings that there is a boat in Castlefield at the moment that has been tied in the same spot since last September. Talk about take the piss.

That's outrageous. Had it been a car illegally parked in the city centre it would have been removed at the speed of light.

Castlefield is a prime mooring place for people visiting the city (and spending their cash). I am sure most visitors will only moor there for between 12 hours and 48 hours. It is really irritating when visitor moorings are occupied by............. no I won't rise to the bait ....................

Edited by PhilR