12v Chainsaw

Featured Posts

There are some 12v chainsaws on the market - most notably by Makita. I want to de-petrol the boat and in the absence of 240v electrics (other than my little 300w inverter which I use to charge my laptop and my Black & Decker Quattro). My petrol chainsaw has been loaned/sold by a so-called mate so I'm in the market for a new something for the autumn to help me cut up found firewood.

Here's a couple I've found:

Makita longer blade chainsaw

Makita short-arsed chainsaw for cutting up branches

Black & Decker short-arsed cordless chainsaw (rechargeable via my little inverter)

Ebay one with longer blade (again rechargeable via my little inverter)

What do you guys reckon - any experience of these?

Edited by BlueStringPudding

The first one talks about cutting PVC pipe and the second one raves about cutting 1 & 3/4 inch hardwood. Somehow I imagine you'll want to cut through thicker logs than that?

I can't see how either of these would replace your petrol chainsaw?

Edit: I didn't bother looking at the third one.

Edited by blackrose

Guest wanted

Haven't seen the saws in the flesh, but I am the not so proud owner of an 18v angle grinder, which is a bag of sh*t. It's only good for jobs that I could do with a hacksaw. I may be wrong but I would avoid. :lol:

The first one talks about cutting PVC pipe and the second one raves about cutting 1 & 3/4 inch hardwood. Somehow I imagine you'll want to cut through thicker logs than that?

I can't see how either of these would replace your petrol chainsaw?

Edit: I didn't bother looking at the third one.

Something has to replace my petrol chainsaw as it's gone! And it was damn heavy, which for me makes it dangerous because it's hard to control. And I'd like to get rid of the petrol if possible. But I don't want to buy a cordless one if it's gonna be useless. However I'm not a lumberjack and won't be taking down giant redwoods! :lol:

Haven't seen the saws in the flesh, but I am the not so proud owner of an 18v angle grinder, which is a bag of sh*t. It's only good for jobs that I could do with a hacksaw. I may be wrong but I would avoid. :lol:

:lol: - That's the kinda honest opinion I need! Thanks

Edited by BlueStringPudding

This guy has at least played with some.

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/makitacordlesschainsaw.htm

I wouldn't expect much from a 12Volt version, might be worth looking at something bigger.

The noname 18V on ebay looks like one to avoid, not enough info given.

A bowsaw would be cheaper.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Alternative B & D

http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide...ProductID=17795

Never used one.

Must agree though that a bow saw with a good blade on it would be quicker, easier and safer than using any of these devices for the type of work you are describing.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

A mate of mine hired one to cut up a leylandii he had, in his garden, with about a 4" trunk.

He rang me after about 4 hours of fruitless hacking at it and still not getting halfway through the trunk.

I got there and 2 hours later, with a bowsaw (I forgot the petrol for the chainsaw), it was felled, snedded and cut into boot sized bits and I was eating my wages (bacon butty).

Guest wanted

If you do get a bow saw, I would look for the bahco brand, or at least their blades, all their tools seem to be tough as hell and worth the odds IMO. The bonus of a bow saw is that it keeps you warm in the winter before you have burnt your wood :lol:

Edited by wanted

Guest wanted
If getting rid of the petrol element is a must then rather than buying a almost useless battery powered chain saw, buy a larger capacity inverter and a corded chain saw, which from experience are quite good. :lol:

The model we have is a 1750watt B&Q model.

I managed to get a 2nd hand makita electric chainsaw for 30 quid of flea bay, keeps the neighbours happy! not used it with inverter but I would be inclined to go with that rather than 12v battery.

Never heard of a 12V chainsaw until today I would think you would at least need 24V but I have a pocket chainsaw that fits in a belt bag the size about a small digital camera.

Its the chainsaw blade with a handgrip at each end and it works well, you can throw it over high branches or use it on the ground.

Not as good as a petrol or 240V but very handy.

...buy a larger capacity inverter and a corded chain saw, which from experience are quite good. :lol:

The model we have is a 1750watt B&Q model.

I've used an electric one too and I agree, they're not bad (and a lot quieter to boot).

A bow saw would be cheaper though.

Tony

These 12v saws are real Chad Valley stuff, intheory they will cut through branches but battery life makes them impractical. We used electric run of the mill chainsaws in our small sawmill as opposed to petrol and were suprised by their performance, pwerful and quiet, any of the normal brands ie makita etc will do the job, although you obviously need to be near the boat or some other 240v supply. I would say thats the only real alternative to petrol.

A mains reciprocating/sabre saw + inverter would be a lot safer than a chainsaw.

Though not as good should cut up to 6-8" logs no problem.

With a bow saw I found splitting a longer log then sawing the pieces to stove length was much easier than sawing into short sections to start with.

Sawing up to 12" with a bowsaw is doable but takes time.

cheers,

Pete.

Hmmm... if I were to get a 240v chainsaw with inverter the combined cost would need to be less than buying wood for the whole winter in order to make it viable - I won't be earning after next month!

I'm not big on the idea of a bow saw - practical and cheaper yes, but very timeconsuming and I'd get p*ssed off and burn my books or something instead!

Hmmm... if I were to get a 240v chainsaw with inverter the combined cost would need to be less than buying wood for the whole winter in order to make it viable - I won't be earning after next month!

I'm not big on the idea of a bow saw - practical and cheaper yes, but very timeconsuming and I'd get p*ssed off and burn my books or something instead!

Hire one first you'll be hooked. :lol:

So, thinking about cost and efficiency. I'd need as low-in-power-consumption as possible electric chain saw (but still powerful enough to chop up logs without reverting to something as desparate as exercise) combined with a suitably rated modified sine wave inverter. And the chain saw would need to be able to function from the mod wave. :lol:

So, thinking about cost and efficiency. I'd need as low-in-power-consumption as possible electric chain saw (but still powerful enough to chop up logs without reverting to something as desparate as exercise) combined with a suitably rated modified sine wave inverter. And the chain saw would need to be able to function from the mod wave. :lol:

I'm a simple being and want out now as Dermuid said on Father Ted.

It'll save you your gym membership too. And get you out in the fresh air appreciating nature and meeting people. Everyone should have a bowsaw

Richard

Ecologically sound as well