£500k cannabis factory by canal

Josher

Featured Posts

Well there are enough 'canal' references in this article (including the headline!) - do you think that the journalist is trying to make some sort of connection?

£500k cannabis factory by canal

Published Date:28 July 2010 here.

POLICE have raided a canalside cottage in Northamptonshire, finding a large cannabis factory and recovering plants worth £500,000.

During the dawn strike, organised as part of Operation Guardian, 19 police officers raided the five-bedroom detached cottage at Stowe Hill, on the A5 near Weedon, opposite the Narrow Boat Inn.

Inside the squalid property officers found more than 1,000 cannabis plants, at various stages of growth, along with large bags of fertiliser and electrical equipment used to help the plants grow. Drugs bosses had illegally hooked into the electric mains.

Two people, one thought to be the "gardener" of the enterprise and the other the owner of the property, have been arrested.

The three downstairs rooms of the house, which is located alongside the Grand Union Canal, were filled with cannabis plants, while four upstairs bedrooms were also being used to grow drugs.

Officers estimated crops in one room were about to be "harvested" and could have hit the streets within weeks.

Sergeant Matthew Manifold, who led the raid, said the cannabis factory was one of the biggest he had ever seen and came following a tip-off from locals.

He said: "We have found about 1,000 plants. Upstairs we have what you would call a nursery and we have 20 or 30 baby plants that look like they have just been potted."

Local boat owners said they were not surprised the house, which had been used as a home until about 18 months ago, had been used as a cannabis factory.

Mr Manifold said the house could have been operating as a cannabis factory for anything up to a year, but was spotted when a helicopter carrying thermal imaging equipment flew overhead.

He added: "It came from local people saying this house is a bit funny; it smells funny and the curtains are always drawn. We were then able to get the helicopter to fly over. We did it at about 3am, roughly four weeks ago and this house was glowing like it was on fire."

A police spokesman last night said a 28-year-old man from South East Asia was arrested at the cottage.

A 69-year-old man from Daventry, thought to be the owner, was arrested yesterday afternoon.

Well there are enough 'canal' references in this article (including the headline!) - do you think that the journalist is trying to make some sort of connection?

Talking about canal references in headlines, there was one on BBC News Online last week:

Man Sexually Assaulted by Canal.

I thought it was rather thoughtless wording, considering the seriousness of the offence.

An excellent use of canal-side properties, though with present declining water levels I'm concerned that the chances of abstracted and properly filtered canal water for hydroponic production may be limited, or perhaps this is one of the reasons for such low levels?.

I am also calling into question the professionalism and commitment of 'The Team', it is is a serious lapse of judgement not to have lined the roofspace with a heat/light-reflective membrane thus rendering Plods stupidly expensive chopper survey useless, additionally power for the lighting should be either drawn from a nearby lamp-post or provided by a generator lest the conspicuous electrical consumption needed for such a venture be noted by their chosen service provider.

I would suggest a buried shipping container situated on a farm to be the proper venue for such horticultural pursuits, but the Vietnamese gangs who almost exclusively undertake such operations on a proper commercial footing probably dont give a flying one.

Either way I strongly suspect that no-one of any importance to this operation was arrested let alone charged, they will just move operations to another middle-class home in a middle-class are in a street near you.

It wouldn't be at all difficult to convert a narrowboat for such agricultural purposes would it . . . . . . ?

CC'ing to provide the electrickery, well insulated to get through the nights and extra batteries for the lighting?

What percentage split could you then declare on your diesel?

It wouldn't be at all difficult to convert a narrowboat for such agricultural purposes would it . . . . . . ?

CC'ing to provide the electrickery, well insulated to get through the nights and extra batteries for the lighting?

It would have to be generator powered. Batteries would not be able to sustain running High Pressure Discharge Lamps.

We strongly suspect that our nb was lined up for such use before we purchased!

c. 40 x 50W halogen bulbs running the length of the boat; good quality blackout blinds, lots of empty space inside.

REEFER-COMIC-PANEL.JPG

An excellent use of canal-side properties, though with present declining water levels I'm concerned that the chances of abstracted and properly filtered canal water for hydroponic production may be limited, or perhaps this is one of the reasons for such low levels?.

I would suggest a buried shipping container situated on a farm to be the proper venue for such horticultural pursuits, but the Vietnamese gangs who almost exclusively undertake such operations on a proper commercial footing probably dont give a flying one.

Snipped

Were you involved in the Blisworth drug growing? Farm with a buried ship container sounds familiar. :lol:

Sue

It would have to be generator powered. Batteries would not be able to sustain running High Pressure Discharge Lamps.

This is sooo true. Well done at the back.

Snipped

Were you involved in the Blisworth drug growing? Farm with a buried ship container sounds familiar. :lol:

Sue

I'm afraid not.

Inside the squalid property officers found more than 1,000 cannabis plants, at various stages of growth, along with large bags of fertiliser and electrical equipment used to help the plants grow. Drugs bosses had illegally hooked into the electric mains.

I hadn't realised that there were specific property officers and if so, shouldn't they make an effort to smarten up?

Snipped

Sue

I'm afraid not.

Buried ships containers is quite old skool. Any regular broadsheet reader or radio 4 listener would know this!

I would have thought the correct answer would be "thankfully not"

Master Tomsk this grasshopper wonder's will the advances in new LED PAR technology catch up with the high lumen HID's

"Canal water" don't BW supply much cleaner handy watering point's?

Ummmm,, cruised down the South Oxford recently..and spotted more than one dodgy plant in boat windows. Some boaters are ahead of the game clearly!

Ummmm,, cruised down the South Oxford recently..and spotted more than one dodgy plant in boat windows. Some boaters are ahead of the game clearly!

Some years ago my son then in mid twenties, says "Wow, look at all the pot plants inside that boat"

SWMBO replies, "They are all the same and have no flowers, very boring, some people have no imagination",

followed by "What are you two laughing about?" :lol:

Buried ships containers is quite old skool. Any regular broadsheet reader or radio 4 listener would know this!

I would have thought the correct answer would be "thankfully not"

Master Tomsk this grasshopper wonder's will the advances in new LED PAR technology catch up with the high lumen HID's

"Canal water" don't BW supply much cleaner handy watering point's?

Frankly I havn't a clue.