Beware of the Shady Oak Beeston,

Featured Posts

Again, you too, miss the point.

You are not allowed to criticise boatyards, on here, but you are allowed to criticise pubs, that is the point.

The lack of consistency is the issue I raise.

I was just pointing out that if people were now feeling consumed with guilt there is somewhere they can go to atone for their sins.

I think we should all be able to express our opinions about a bad experience at a pub or a boatyard, if we want to. Equally we can say when we've had a great experience.

I like the Shady Oak pub at Beeston for lots of reasons. I also like the Cheshire Cat pub at Christleton for lots of different reasons. I also like The Swan at Fradley Junction for different reasons. And The Junction at Bulbourne. And the Red Lion at Marsworth. And...

All have their downsides. All have their positive points. Enjoy whichever you want to, I say. And feel free to comment if you've had a particularly good or a particularly bad experience. Word of mouth is important.

I think we should all be able to express our opinions about a bad experience at a pub or a boatyard, if we want to.

This has been discussed, at great length, and Jon, when he was the site owner, decided that he did not want negative comments being made, about businesses after a boat builder made legal noises.

Threads criticising boatyards have been very short lived, before the mods stepped in and removed them, but threads criticising pubs are allowed to run and run.

I don't know what Daniel's stance is, on this issue, but I am happy to abide by what he decides, though I hope it is more consistent than the present situation.

This isn't word of mouth, by the way, it is the published word and, as such, I believe, the libel laws apply.

The busiest canal forum

[quote

Which would that be? I am a member of another canal forum as well as this one. CWDF is by far the faster-moving of the two which, I assume, equates to busier.

The Shady Oak is very close to where I am but I have not been there in years. However, my daughter goes there on and off as do people who moor near me. I have never heard anything dreadful about it. But sometimes you just do not take to a place. As for the toilets ... that is not unusual in a pub but it drives me mad. But the flies, I could not live with the flies. This is a good excuse for me to go and have a pint myself and see what it is like. If anyone else is near there soon just let me know and we can compose a critique!

:lol: 1. No, I`m not a landlady of a pub.

:lol: 2. Cobwebs and flies don`t just appear in an off day

;) 3. Neither do life forms at the back of basins

:lol: 4. Yes, I can remain anonimous if I want to. It doesn`t invalidate my complaint

:lol: No wonder pubs are closing if they think that those standards of hygene are acceptable

Thanks for all your comments though!

Ive never actaully been inside myself, but pass the oak a lot by car and its often fairly full, but at other times, emptier than you would expect.

- It certainly does seem to have its ups and downs and change ownership more than maybe most, but i dont think its necessarily that bad.

- I guess like all pubs the best thing to do is just go inside, have a look round, get a round in, and see where it takes you from there really.

Daniel

:lol: 1. No, I`m not a landlady of a pub.

;) 2. Cobwebs and flies don`t just appear in an off day

;) 3. Neither do life forms at the back of basins

:lol: 4. Yes, I can remain anonimous if I want to. It doesn`t invalidate my complaint

:lol: No wonder pubs are closing if they think that those standards of hygene are acceptable

Thanks for all your comments though!

Sounds just like "Mad O'Roukes Pie Factory" Tipton

:lol:

What's wrong with a few spiders - they do a good job! :lol:

So is a normal loo better than a cassette? :lol:

Since opinions have varied so widely about this pub (so what's new on this forum :lol: ) it is probably best to have a personal inspection; but having said that, it IS valuable to have opinions from others so that expectations are not overly raised by outward appearances.

• 2 weeks later...

Went there for lunch today and the cobwebs are still there, but the food was ok. I perversely had the steakburgher like the OP and it was good. Good pint of Cheshire Cat bitter too.

My main criticism of that pub is that it is almost completely set up for eating. The dining room is smart, the conservatory is ok apart from the cobwebs, but only for dining and if the weather is fine there are loads of picnic benches outside. But the lounge in the old part of the pub is neglected and has been almost unused when I've been in.

Lovely afternoon here, sitting in the bow looking across the fields at the castle.

Again, you too, miss the point.

You are not allowed to criticise boatyards, on here, but you are allowed to criticise pubs, that is the point.

The lack of consistency is the issue I raise.

You weren't, when Jon was the owner, but I've no idea what the rule is now

I've an engineer I'd like to gripe about (not our regular one) am I allowed?

Decided to give the SO another chance last Friday night as we were passing and had guests on board, fortunately we came up trimps this time as the food was good.

The place was really humming and musicians started arriving about 9pm, sitting at tables and taking it in turns to play and sing.

All in all a good night was had by all.

You weren't, when Jon was the owner, but I've no idea what the rule is now

I've an engineer I'd like to gripe about (not our regular one) am I allowed?

It's not me, is it?

Richard

No...

Although if you'd diagnosed my fuel theft as a leak you might be...

I'll just go and search the forum to check what I said

Richard

Evaporation of course, you shouldn't forget that