searching info on Linslade

Featured Posts

Hello all

i am searching for more info on the boat Linslade,Info i have places it @ the southern end of the Grand union i know it was in Brentford dock on March 15th 1899 as a famiy member was christened on board. also have it on the 1911 census @ Norwood b.d.e. this shows my g g grandparents allen harrison as canal barge master & wife Ann with son mark.I have searched some records but unable to find this boat in the listings.iv allways been told it was a Morton & C layton but now im not so sure.

many thanks

jeannette

This rings a bell. There was a thread earlier this year about a 'narrow' boat in France. It turned out to have possibly been one of a number of FMC wide boats taken over during WW1. Here's a link: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=339545

These are four FMC wide boats, and all named after towns; Braunston, Isleworth, Harefield, and Islington. It's quite possible there may have been one called Linslade, but I have no details or history or how many were built. Pete Harrison or Paul Hunter may have more.

Derek

This rings a bell. There was a thread earlier this year about a 'narrow' boat in France. It turned out to have possibly been one of a number of FMC wide boats taken over during WW1. Here's a link: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=339545

These are four FMC wide boats, and all named after towns; Braunston, Isleworth, Harefield, and Islington. It's quite possible there may have been one called Linslade, but I have no details or history or how many were built. Pete Harrison or Paul Hunter may have more.

Derek

Many thanks Derek i had not seen that thread, it will be v helpful to me.app according to my grandad he was one of the boatmen from Brentford who took a wide boat

across to help with Dunkirk, you might not remember me you helped me last year with res on the boat my dad was born on @ harfield. the wide boat Harrietta. If Linslade was a wide boat that will account for why i can only find records on the southern end of the g.u. & no butty records, my gg grandad app had this boat for a good few years he was @ norwood in 1911census ( g granparent in brentford on wear & sour @ the same time grandad included ) @ the grand age of 70 & still working the cut, he died in 1926 & according to family worked up untill days before his death.

jeannette

Oh I have not forgotten Jeannette - I still need to talk to John Wilson down at Cassio about horse boating with barges from Brentford. He has one of my books for perusal, I just need to be down there when he's around.

Good to see all that gravel going North eh!

Derek

Hello all

i am searching for more info on the boat Linslade,Info i have places it @ the southern end of the Grand union i know it was in Brentford dock on March 15th 1899 as a famiy member was christened on board. also have it on the 1911 census @ Norwood b.d.e. this shows my g g grandparents allen harrison as canal barge master & wife Ann with son mark.I have searched some records but unable to find this boat in the listings.iv allways been told it was a Morton & C layton but now im not so sure.

many thanks

jeannette

Jeannette,

You may know, but a list of FMC boats was published in Narrow Boat magazive about 3 years back, in two parts.

Unfortunately though, that restricted itself to boats joining the fleet from 1900 onwards, so if you know "Linslade" was extant a year before that, it would not appear.

And, indeed, it doesn't.

Have you found the boat in the 1901 census, at all. Or indeed the family who were on it only two years previously when the christening took place ?

I don't suppose the 1911 census shows a tonnage, does it, (some census records do), which would give a clue as to whether "narrow" or "wide".

This 1911 census that you are talking about. I thought census information only became available after 100 years, that's next year for the 1911 census.

Richard

No, it was released slightly early, Richard - a couple of years roughly, although before that anyone prepared to pay a massive £45 could get information about it by making a FOI request.

Certainly early requests for info gave most of what was recorded, but for example the column that would show whether your ancestor was "lunatic", "imbecile" etc was obliterated not to be released (I think) until the full 100 years. (Though that may also have changed ?).

Unfortunately access to the 1911 census was still a relatively expensive luxury the last time I looked at it, and the subscription site I use for all other censuses 1841 to 1901 does not offer the 1911.

Edited to add.....

Anyone who wants to try it, here is one of the home pages that gets you to it.....

UK 1911 Census

You can get as far as searching the name index for free, and can see someone's birth year, age, and where they were recorded in the census, but to see much more costs.

Example

Schedule Type: SHIPPING

Last Names: HARRISON

First Names: ALLEN

Sex: M

Born: 1841

Census Place: Uxbridge, Middlesex

ANN HARRISON (58) and MARK HARRISON (27) also appear in the index for Uxbridge as "schedule tye" "SHIPPING", so it's a fair guess they could be together, but only by paying would you get more detail, including relationships if at same "address".

Edited by alan_fincher

Just to add, (but I suspect Jeannette already knows!), that Mark and Ann Harrison are on a boat at "Castle Bridge", Braunston fotr the 1911 census, also with son Mark, but also adopted daughter Nora BEARD (Aged 12, born Gloucester) and another son Robert HARRISON (15, born Kidsgrove) and a grandson John HARRISON (8 born Penkridge).

Unfortunately the enumerator has omitted boat names for the boats at Braunston, so there is no way of telling if a "Linslade" was involved or not. (It's clearly highly unlikely they are on a wide-beamed boat if at Braunston).

(Apologies to Jeannette, who I feel sure is well versed in all this, but maybe of interest to those who wonder what you can find out about boatmen from these records).

I couldn't immediately find this family 10 years earlier, but censuses often failed to record moving boats, which could be why ?

Hello all

many thanks

jeannette

LINSLADE 234.

1894 - built by E. Morgan, Uxbridge.

01/06/1894 - Grand Junction Canal Gauged as WHY NOT - 10828 for S. Phipkin, 71'6'' x 7'2.

31/07/1894 - health registered as WHY NOT - Uxbridge 186 for Samuel Phipkin, Hillingdon as a single cabin boat (states "wide" but was actually 'narrow" !).

01/10/1897 - on Port of London gauging as list LINSLADE owned by Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd. (P.o.L. 12014)

06/11/1900 - health registered as LINSLADE - Port of London 371 for Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd., 30 Wharf, City Road as a single cabin narrow boat.

26/02/1903 - B.C.N. gauged as LINSLADE - 18489 for Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd., Birmingham, 71'3'' x 7'1½''

05/1913 - sold to Nottingham Coal Co. Ltd., Nottingham @ £45.

30/05/1913 - health registered as LINSLADE - Birmingham 1291 for Nottingham Coal Co. Ltd., Nottingham.

I have no other LINSLADE in my records.

Oh I have not forgotten Jeannette - I still need to talk to John Wilson down at Cassio about horse boating with barges from Brentford. He has one of my books for perusal, I just need to be down there when he's around.

Good to see all that gravel going North eh!

Derek

derek

i was at bulls bridge when the front four came through to join the g.u. then waited for victoria to come through a short time later then a quick dash to cowley lock just in time to see them arrive a once in lifetime sight not to have been missed esp as a lot of my roots & family history lie in & around that area.

jeannette

Jeannette,

You may know, but a list of FMC boats was published in Narrow Boat magazive about 3 years back, in two parts.

Unfortunately though, that restricted itself to boats joining the fleet from 1900 onwards, so if you know "Linslade" was extant a year before that, it would not appear.

And, indeed, it doesn't.

Have you found the boat in the 1901 census, at all. Or indeed the family who were on it only two years previously when the christening took place ?

I don't suppose the 1911 census shows a tonnage, does it, (some census records do), which would give a clue as to whether "narrow" or "wide".

alen

i have every narrow boat magazine ever printed & must confess to not having a pin head ofknowledge compaired to you chaps on this forum.

im almost sure iv found them on linslade in 1901 but need to doublecheck . the christning was of my grandads older sister mary ann, this is in the records for the now disused boatmans church of st lawrences @ Brentford the linslade was then in the charge of allen & ann my gg grandparents sadly mary ann died two weeks later. no tonnage shown on 1911 census. it can bee a littleconfusing as the name allen harrison appears in my tree 11 times my grandad being one of them. ann also appears eight times.

alen

i have every narrow boat magazine ever printed & must confess to not having a pin head ofknowledge compaired to you chaps on this forum.

im almost sure iv found them on linslade in 1901 but need to doublecheck . the christning was of my grandads older sister mary ann, this is in the records for the now disused boatmans church of st lawrences @ Brentford the linslade was then in the charge of allen & ann my gg grandparents sadly mary ann died two weeks later. no tonnage shown on 1911 census. it can bee a littleconfusing as the name allen harrison appears in my tree 11 times my grandad being one of them. ann also appears eight times.

sorry forgot to mention 1901 census my g grandad james known as little Jimmy harrison was on a narrowboat with a crew whilst g grandmother was at the time on the bank @ awaiting the birth of my grandad & show up with other childen belonging to jimmys brother samuel as his wife had just died she was living @ the hams Brentford. samuel is in the 1901 census @ bullsbridge with a chap with the surname of bull have gg grandparents @ braunston for 1901 census, have also traced ggg grandparents samuel & judith reg 1833 boat man in Birmingham, 1871 boatman in Warwickshire

This 1911 census that you are talking about. I thought census information only became available after 100 years, that's next year for the 1911 census.

Richard

hello

i have the luck to live within distance to kew national archives & memb card allowing me to a lot of record access 1911 census are a lot diffrent from prev census as a slight diffrent form is used for people living on boats & also each family is listed on seperate pages so i have full copies of 1911 census for some of relatives & will have more once i can make time to visit kew ( you need a full day there) also history centeres @ Hounslow & Chiswich have a few records but mainly church ones

jeannette

No, it was released slightly early, Richard - a couple of years roughly, although before that anyone prepared to pay a massive £45 could get information about it by making a FOI request.

Certainly early requests for info gave most of what was recorded, but for example the column that would show whether your ancestor was "lunatic", "imbecile" etc was obliterated not to be released (I think) until the full 100 years. (Though that may also have changed ?).

Unfortunately access to the 1911 census was still a relatively expensive luxury the last time I looked at it, and the subscription site I use for all other censuses 1841 to 1901 does not offer the 1911.

Edited to add.....

Anyone who wants to try it, here is one of the home pages that gets you to it.....

UK 1911 Census

You can get as far as searching the name index for free, and can see someone's birth year, age, and where they were recorded in the census, but to see much more costs.

Example

Schedule Type: SHIPPING

Last Names: HARRISON

First Names: ALLEN

Sex: M

Born: 1841

Census Place: Uxbridge, Middlesex

ANN HARRISON (58) and MARK HARRISON (27) also appear in the index for Uxbridge as "schedule tye" "SHIPPING", so it's a fair guess they could be together, but only by paying would you get more detail, including relationships if at same "address".

1911 census is free @ kew if you have the right card & the time to look up can also get a3 size of original printed for just 20p jeannette

• Greenie 1

Just to add, (but I suspect Jeannette already knows!), that Mark and Ann Harrison are on a boat at "Castle Bridge", Braunston fotr the 1911 census, also with son Mark, but also adopted daughter Nora BEARD (Aged 12, born Gloucester) and another son Robert HARRISON (15, born Kidsgrove) and a grandson John HARRISON (8 born Penkridge).

Unfortunately the enumerator has omitted boat names for the boats at Braunston, so there is no way of telling if a "Linslade" was involved or not. (It's clearly highly unlikely they are on a wide-beamed boat if at Braunston).

(Apologies to Jeannette, who I feel sure is well versed in all this, but maybe of interest to those who wonder what you can find out about boatmen from these records).

I couldn't immediately find this family 10 years earlier, but censuses often failed to record moving boats, which could be why ?

these are other family members nora i belive is one of their daughters mistakes so as to coin a frase grandson john is actually john allen in a prev thread i mentioned my gg grandmother in 1901 census had some children whos mother had just died john allen harrison was the girls older brother on his mother death he was sent to live with these family members. john allen married emily holt also from a boating family,emily drowned near Cowley lock in 1943 & morton & clayton paid for the solicitor for her inquest e.c.t. after six years i have just rec copies of all paperwork involved & it clearly states solicitors name & appearing on behalf of fellows morton & clayton.

jeannette

alen

Jeannette,

You could write what I know on a postage stamp compared to someone like Pete Harrison, (who has responded in this thread - I assume there is no known family connection :lol: ).

I don't know Pete, but he has researched these things for years, and if his extensive records only show one boat called Linslade, I think you might have to work very hard to find record of another. It is often his research you are looking at when data in magazines, (or him sending in corrections to slight errors made by others!).

So far as I can see, the dates he gives match your known facts....

LINSLADE 234.

01/06/1894 - Grand Junction Canal Gauged as WHY NOT - 10828 for S. Phipkin, 71'6'' x 7'2.

31/07/1894 - health registered as WHY NOT - Uxbridge 186 for Samuel Phipkin, Hillingdon as a single cabin boat (states "wide" but was actually 'narrow" !).

01/10/1897 - on Port of London gauging as list LINSLADE owned by Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd. (P.o.L. 12014)

06/11/1900 - health registered as LINSLADE - Port of London 371 for Fellows Morton & Clayton Ltd., 30 Wharf, City Road as a single cabin narrow boat.

26/02/1903 - B.C.N. gauged as LINSLADE - 18489 for Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd., Birmingham, 71'3'' x 7'1½''

30/05/1913 - health registered as LINSLADE - Birmingham 1291 for Nottingham Coal Co. Ltd., Nottingham.

It is in Fellows Morton & Clayton ownership by 1899, when that Christening took place, and still with FMC at the time of the 1911 census, although sold off a couple of years later.

I'd be very quite if Pete has not found you the correct boat

LINSLADE 234.

many thanks for this info pete

i am sure this is the said mentioned boat.also I have no poss paperwork to back me up as app this was distroyed in a fire during ww2,

. but the same story has come from other family members & passed down. my grandad had a brother robert born 1903 @ kidsgrove (buried with other fam members @ st lawrences brentford ) he was with my gg grandparents on the linslade on 15 aug 1908 when he drowned in rotherhithe docks his death cert states asphysia due to drowning through falling into the dock by misadventure suddenly.

jeannette

)

• 1 year later...

Hi Thought you may be interested, my grandfather was born aboard the Linslade in 1896. He came from a boating family who worked the canals delivering coal amongst other things for many years. They left the canals in 1906 after he lost his brother & brother in law in a drowning accident in 1905. Have only found this site today.Howcombe205

Hi Thought you may be interested, my grandfather was born aboard the Linslade in 1896. He came from a boating family who worked the canals delivering coal amongst other things for many years. They left the canals in 1906 after he lost his brother & brother in law in a drowning accident in 1905. Have only found this site today.Howcombe205

Hello Howcombe

what was you grandads name?

I know another family member had the Linslade befor my ggg grandad.

Also at some time the Stokes used the Linslade. I know it was in Rotherhide Docks in 1908

as my Grandads brother was knocked off & drowned whilst it was being loaded there.

Jeannette

Hello Howcombe

what was you grandads name?

I know another family member had the Linslade befor my ggg grandad.

Also at some time the Stokes used the Linslade. I know it was in Rotherhide Docks in 1908

as my Grandads brother was knocked off & drowned whilst it was being loaded there.

Jeannette

My grandfather was William Coley born on the Linslade at Leyton Buzzard, his sisters were born at Leek Uxbridge & Bermondsey, all on the canals. They worked for Fellows Morton & Clayton. Their father was John Coley married to Emma Lemm.Tracing this family is an ongoing project & I know very little about the waterways only what I have found through tracing this family.

Thank you all so much for all your info & hard work.

I have tried to post a copy of the 1911 census but it is v dark & water stained

as soon as i can get somone to lighten it e.c.t. i will post it.

Marky p where did you come across these records as after years of searching i was told they where destroyed

in a fire during WW11.hence my posting asking for help.

My Grandad told me lots of things about the Linslade also the secret work & things that he done in the second war

along with other Boatmen from Brentford but when you are around 10 years old you dont think to write them down,its only now as things come to mind that i write them down. Once again thanks to everyone

Jeannette

• Greenie 1

FMC LINSLADE (PoL 371), along with FMC LINFORD (PoL 373), were recorded by the Daventry Canal Inspector on 12th July 1904. Both craft were in the charge of Sophia Brace. LINSLADE was occupied by 2 females & a child, and LINFORD occupied by 1 female & 2 children.

Edited by MarkyP

marky p

Thank you for that info.

Sophia Brace was the Grandmother of John Boswell on his mothers side

The Boswells also have many generations of canal boatmen in fact John Boswell family tree of working boatmen is the largest i know.

Sophia & her husband John where in Brentford on canal boat Margaret Sept 5th 1900 for the baptism of their Daughter & again in Brentford feb 1906 on boat Walter for another childs baptism.

Have just spoken to John & he had no clue to his family being connected to Linslade,so you have just added another bit of History to a canal boatmans family tree.

The thing that puzzles me is that i always thought that in the early 1900s Women where not allowed to captain a boaton their own.I have come across women who have taken over their boats when their husband had died,but had to have a male son over the age of 14 on board & often the boat was put into his name.This record states 3 women & 3 children in total

a 14 year old would have been classes as a male.

Howcombe 205 have found a little on your family but as yet no connection to mine.

Jeannette

FMC LINSLADE (PoL 371), along with FMC LINFORD (PoL 373), were recorded by the Daventry Canal Inspector on 12th July 1904. Both craft were in the charge of Sophia Brace. LINSLADE was occupied by 2 females & a child, and LINFORD occupied by 1 female & 2 children.

I also have this information, but beware as inspections are notoriously unreliable. For example LINFORD is recorded above as being health registered as Port of London 373 whereas it was actually health registered as Port of London 372. I have seen inspections where the health registration number recorded is actually a fleet number, a gauge number or the number of a completely different boat !

Thanks for the added info Pete.

Have just come across this in my records = John Brace husband to Sophia Brace was buried @ Braunston

on April 14th 1904 age 47.So poor Sophia @ the time of this regestration had just lost her husband & was struggling to manage a pair of boats as well as a young family.

Howcombe 205

I am almost sure your connection to the Linslade lays through the Stokes as a Lemm married into them,this is not my Stokes connection but the Gloucester Wales Stokes (three seperate Stokes canal boat familys)

Jeannette

• 8 years later...
On 01/11/2011 at 19:59, pete harrison said:

I also have this information, but beware as inspections are notoriously unreliable. For example LINFORD is recorded above as being health registered as Port of London 373 whereas it was actually health registered as Port of London 372. I have seen inspections where the health registration number recorded is actually a fleet number, a gauge number or the number of a completely different boat !

I too have a copy of these records. at the time of this entry the records are very erratic. the previous year Daventry had no boat inspector. The entries for 1904 are very different in nature, so much so that I suspect that some, if not all, of the entries have been made up. The entry in the register on 31 Oct 1904 says " Hope to see more work done when a proper inspector comes". I was surprised to find so much information on the Linslade.

Also, Sophia Brace is recorded on a narrowboat in the 1901 census at Simpson, nr Fenny Stratford (about 1 mile from where I am writing this!) with her husband John (44) son John (19) daughter Ada (16) and son Albert (10), son Horace (or daughter Florence) aged 8. All listed as born Worcester, Son Benjamin (6), daughter Beatrice (4), daughter Olive (6months)

Edited by PNB116