Names You Would NOT Call a Boat

mark99

Featured Posts

I recall that back in the early 1990s (or thereabouts) Germany sent over a small sea-going inspection vessel which moored on the River Thames in central London as part of a water quality survey. The tv reporter commented that it could have had a better name for this task as the camera revealed it to be named MV PIDDER LING.

Steve

...OVERDRAFT,....etc. etc.

I saw a boat called 'my overdraft' once, which was funny, becuase it was for sale!

But generally i would simply avoid all 'amusing' names and pick a name that was just nice, and not in any way intended to be, funny/witty/clever/whatever!

Daniel

I had considered at one point calling the boat "Clochemerle" I watched this series on TV in the 70's and it was one of the best ever shown on the BBC. With Galton and Simpson... what else could you expect. Clochemerle is a 1934 French satirical novel by Gabriel Chevallier. When a rural French village attempts to erect a public urinal, a cross between 'Allo, 'Allo and Canterbury Tales. It is set in the historical Beaujolais province and wine producing region.

M&M

Our boats name can be taken a number of ways. Unfortunately a certain slightly moronic group of the public always choose one and then go on like they are the only one to manage to think of it so they start shouting it out like they have won a jackpot. If I am in a good mood I acknowledge just to shut them up but it rarely works. Often you get a whole party of sane people exchanging greetings only to be drowned out by a smirking and gesturing idiot for who the penny has dropped. The strange thing is the name and this particular meaning of the many was designed for little kids to get and perform (and so is not in any way smutty). They do get it but so do the one of every group who proves that for every high IQ there is a low one. :lol:

What do they call it when it's in town?

Bunbury not Banbury

The importance of being Ernest the imaginary sick friend for visiting when you want to get out of some other less interesting engagement?

I thought it was clever.

Bunbury not Banbury

The importance of being Ernest the imaginary sick friend for visiting when you want to get out of some other less interesting engagement?

I thought it was clever.

I did see that the name was Bunbury and not Banbury, thank you.

The character in The Importance of Being Earnest called himself Ernest in town and Jack in the country. The other character told him this was the same with his own fictitious character Bunbury and he said that Jack was Bunburying. That was why I asked what it was called when in town. Sadly, you missed my point entirely.

The character in The Importance of Being Earnest called himself Ernest in town and Jack in the country. The other character told him this was the same with his own fictitious character Bunbury and he said that Jack was Bunburying. That was why I asked what it was called when in town. Sadly, you missed my point entirely.

Some of us appreciated it though :lol:

Richard

I'm still thinking about naming my first boat either Freed Willy or Ship Happens.

Blimey, and I thought Bouncing Ben was bad enough... :lol: :lol:

BBen is still becoming Caveat Emptor - I was quite proud to be the only one on Jim Shead's list of licensed boats, but there's another one appeared these days.. Not the end of the world I guess.

Kate's habit of calling herself whatever she's eating at the time of joining a forum means the project boat (and Kate) is called Creamcheese...

Better than Salt'n'Vinegar or TunaMayo I suppose... :lol:

PC

I appreciated it too. I always think of that play when schlepping through Bunbury staircase locks.

Blimey, and I thought Bouncing Ben was bad enough... :lol: :lol:

BBen is still becoming Caveat Emptor - I was quite proud to be the only one on Jim Shead's list of licensed boats, but there's another one appeared these days.. Not the end of the world I guess.

Kate's habit of calling herself whatever she's eating at the time of joining a forum means the project boat (and Kate) is called Creamcheese...

Better than Salt'n'Vinegar or TunaMayo I suppose... :lol:

PC

No, no, no. I'm not Salt'n'Vinegar on any fora. Pringles maybe, but I didn't specify flavour.

Creamcheese shall be creamcheese cos people use their boat name as a forum name - why shouldn't I name my boat after my forum name? :lol:

Although, following on from that idea, I'm not sure I want boat 3 to be called PaulCatchpole. I think it should be called '3' (the signwriting will be cheeep)