Floating Pennywort

Guest User

Featured Posts

It struck me today that it's relatively clear of floating pennywort where I am (River Cam) ... whereas last year it was was pretty rampant and starting to take over everywhere. Seeing as it originates from warmer climes, I'm assuming it was the proper cold winter that put paid to it, has anyone else noticed a reduction/disappearance of this invasive species in other places ?

Floating_Pennywort2.jpg

floating_pennywort_gal.jpg

It struck me today that it's relatively clear of floating pennywort where I am (River Cam) ... whereas last year it was was pretty rampant and starting to take over everywhere.

Good point, I went from Ely to Upware last week and saw none at all. And we had the first floating masses that I'd seen pass through Ely last year, the ducks consumed the first batch completely but subsequent ones did lodge in places and might have spread by now.

EA did treat and remove it at the end of last season mind, so perhaps they are responsible for its absence?

Steve

No it hasn't gone (just wait until October!) but the long cold winter killed it back as it does in Canada from where it was illegally imported. They reckon that the pennywort, dump in the Soar in Aylestone, Leicester, will take another 15 years to irradicate due it's ability to benefit from our climate. But for how much longer?

No it hasn't gone (just wait until October!) but the long cold winter killed it back as it does in Canada from where it was illegally imported. They reckon that the pennywort, dump in the Soar in Aylestone, Leicester, will take another 15 years to irradicate due it's ability to benefit from our climate. But for how much longer?

I forgot to mention that the Riverside Rangers here in Leicester with their legion of willing helpers and lots of new vessels only manage to get 12 bags of pennywort from the old Soar (read breeding grounds) but it's better to grab the littl;e now than the crane loads later in the season but it will still mean another couple of visits in this year and many more after.