NB Barbie

Yoda

Featured Posts

Hello all you who can help.

There was a 45/6 foot boat called Barbie, true spelling lost but named after the owner Barbera, joint owner. Circum built 1970 and sold on about 11 years ago, I am just trying to find some history for the old owning family.

The original engine was a 3 cylinder Lister with a mechanical gearbox. I have no other information about this narrowboat.

Any help would be great!

Edited by Yoda

The original engine was a 3 cylinder Lister with a mechanical gearbox. I have no other information about this narrowboat.

Oh "Barbie" was a motor boat.

I assumed it was the butty paired with "Ken".

There was a 45/6 foot boat called Barbie, true spelling lost but named after the owner Barbera, joint owner. Circum built 1970 and sold on about 11 years ago, I am just trying to find some history for the old owning family. The original engine was a 3 cylinder Lister with a mechanical gearbox. I have no other information about this narrowboat. Any help would be great!

Is it a Springer? I knew the family who owned such a boat built in 1970 to replace their small cabin cruiser 'Tillykins'. They moored it at Cosgrove on the Grand Union. The owners were Stan and Barbara Cooper of St Albans, now both deceased I believe. Their son Steve Cooper inherited the boat and probably kept it on the same mooring. It had a Lister SR3 air cooled engine, saloon at the front with demountable double berth, catalytic gas heater, galley and further berths aft. Cruiser stern. A rather unmemorable colour scheme in all-over grey or somesuch.

I had a holiday on Barbie when the boat was almost new from Cosgrove one very cold winter (1971?) when we encountered ice at Brinklow and decided to turn back.

I might be able to get you in touch with Steve Cooper if it is the boat you enquire about.

Steve